Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

TV shows and stuff: The Spinoff

< Prev 1 ... 164 165 166 167 168 ... 170 Next >

10.23.2015 5:25pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

I'm torn.

I mean in a nitpicky way because I'm sure I'm going to love it no matter what.

But in Alias, which I loved, the Purple Man stuff was sure the most interesting thing about her.  But it seems to be such the main focus here and I don't know how I feel about that.

Also her powers.  In Alias she was terrible at using them.  She could barely fly.  I'm not getting that here.  But that has been basically completely retconned in later comics anyway, so that's fine I guess.

Jump to Post

10.23.2015 5:42pm

JSG
Registered Member

I love absolutely everything about that trailer. Only thing I'm iffy about is Ritter as Jones. She's one of my favorite actresses but that casting just doesn't seem like a good match.

Jump to Post

10.23.2015 5:56pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I want her to kick down the door to a Japanese drug den and shout ARIGATO HAAAAAAAAAAAY before the fight scene starts.

Jump to Post

10.23.2015 9:47pm

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

That trailer makes me so happy/creeped out it is amazing

Jump to Post

10.26.2015 4:47pm

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

I don't know about you guys but I'm really enjoying this walking dead season so far. This season has been one intense ride so far.

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
I'm not sure if Glen is dead or not but I don't see how he could possibly get out of that horde of zombies alive even if he was covered in the guts of that guy. I'm going to be really dissappointed if Glen just shows up in town and they don't explain how he got out of that scene but they just accept he's alive.

Jump to Post

10.27.2015 2:15pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

Walking Dead:
I'm sure he's alive because if that was really it for him he would have been on talking dead.  But I'm sorry, that's bullshit.  He was screaming in pain.  They'll retcon that, but lame!  Also why are these people not killing people who are being ripped apart by zombies?!  The woman would have been a little tricky (though Michonne could have gotten a headshot in), but the guy's head was just right there FOREVER.

Started rereading Alias last night.  Had forgotten what a big part Matt Murdock played in the opening storyline.  That works out well!

Jump to Post

10.28.2015 1:13am

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

Walking Dead:
I'm pretty sure it's a fakeout but for fucks sake, they need to get their camera angles together.  Right before they show guts being ripped out, there's a split scene where it's clear nobody is on top of Glenn's upper third of his torso.  

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

10.28.2015 4:58am
 (Edited on 10.28.2015 at 5:12am)

dem
Sing for me, little bird

Anyone else been watching The Last Kingdom? It's based on Bernard Cornwell's 'Saxon Stories' novels. Only three episodes have aired so far but the plot has been moving along at a very nice pace without feeling like everything is being rushed along (or pointlessly drawn out...). I haven't read the novels, but I've read some of Cornwell's other stuff and I definitely want to read more that he's written soon. I'm really liking the humourous tone combined with the blend of historical characters/events with fictition.

I got a real kick out of how easily Alfred took the throne because nobody takes his nephew seriously.

Unless things start to go horribly wrong before the first season ends, I may have found my new Game of Thrones.

Edit: Can't seem to find any info on how long this first season is even going to be. But since it's a BBC series, I'm guessing no more than 8.

Jump to Post

10.30.2015 4:54pm

Fukiyama
Sysadmin of my brain

I stopped watching TWD before last season and everything I've seen since then has reinforced my decision.

This blog post examines everything that is wrong with this season and illustrates the mentality that drove me away from the show.

Jump to Post

10.30.2015 7:11pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

Anyone watch Supergirl?

Why is her heat vision blue?!  That bothered me much more than it should.

It was meh for me.  Not very good but not bad.  Inoffensive.  Although the not being able to actually show Superman just doesn't work.  There was at least one moment where it made no sense that he wouldn't talk to her himself.

Jump to Post

11.01.2015 7:25pm

JSG
Registered Member

I'm surprised how good Doctor Who is this season. I never soured on it as much as some but it certainly lost a lot of quality over the years. This season, though, is (so far) on par with the best seasons. I hope it can stick the landing because I've been loving it like I haven't loved DW in some four years.

Jump to Post

11.05.2015 5:48pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

JSG said:

I'm surprised how good Doctor Who is this season. I never soured on it as much as some but it certainly lost a lot of quality over the years. This season, though, is (so far) on par with the best seasons. I hope it can stick the landing because I've been loving it like I haven't loved DW in some four years.

I wonder if it's because it's been almost nothing but two parters this season?

I also found that I have too much to watch this season, so I'm not sticking with new shows.  So far it's been Dr. Who, Blacklist, Sleepy Hollow, Castle, Flash and Arrow.  I ended up dropping Gotham at some point and didn't stick around for Minority Report.  I want to give Limitless a try but haven't had the time.

Jump to Post

11.05.2015 6:06pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

*holds up fingers* Sleepy Hollow is this close to falling off the back end of my TV list.  I have crappy internet at home and can't watch TV at work anymore, so the number of shows I can watch is dwindling.

Jump to Post

11.06.2015 4:32am

JSG
Registered Member

CaButler said:

I wonder if it's because it's been almost nothing but two parters this season?

I also found that I have too much to watch this season, so I'm not sticking with new shows.  So far it's been Dr. Who, Blacklist, Sleepy Hollow, Castle, Flash and Arrow.  I ended up dropping Gotham at some point and didn't stick around for Minority Report.  I want to give Limitless a try but haven't had the time.

I think the two-parter format is helping. It's something fresh, and it allows for some more creativity in the stories (like the viking two parter). I think it's also that it feels like it has an overarching theme that informs all of the episodes' stories but doesn't overwhelm them like the later Matt Smith seasons. It's also not tacked on like a lot of episodic shows' seasons where they throw a few scenes in. It feels like the episodes can just be themselves, but the events and themes within them are all building toward something.

It's just better, smarter writing ("smart" by Doctor Who's standards). Clara doesn't feel pointless for once. Capaldi settled into his Doctor and he's killing it. Things are just coming together in a way that they haven't since seasons 4 and 5.

Jump to Post

11.06.2015 4:43am

Fukiyama
Sysadmin of my brain

JSG said:

I think the two-parter format is helping. It's something fresh, and it allows for some more creativity in the stories (like the viking two parter). I think it's also that it feels like it has an overarching theme that informs all of the episodes' stories but doesn't overwhelm them like the later Matt Smith seasons. It's also not tacked on like a lot of episodic shows' seasons where they throw a few scenes in. It feels like the episodes can just be themselves, but the events and themes within them are all building toward something.

It's just better, smarter writing ("smart" by Doctor Who's standards). Clara doesn't feel pointless for once. Capaldi settled into his Doctor and he's killing it. Things are just coming together in a way that they haven't since seasons 4 and 5.

I read a article on Doctor Who some time ago that touched on the format issue.  It was in the run up to the anniversary and talked about the old days' multi-part storylines rather than the one-and-done format of the modern series.  The author made some cogent points much as JSG does above regarding developing story and character.  Hopefully this trend will continue.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 164 165 166 167 168 ... 170 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter