Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - was it really that bad?

< Prev 1 2 Next >

05.17.2014 5:05pm
Thread Creator

Soul Hunter
Ambitious but rubbish
Administrator

Tomatometer score was bad, and Cracked.com described it as a bizarre homage to Joel Schumacher's Batman & Robin.  So how did you guys find it?

Jump to Post

05.17.2014 5:23pm

Zubis
Registered Member

I skipped it. It was obvious it was becoming an ad for Sony's Sinister Six (Avengers) franchise.

Jump to Post

05.17.2014 6:20pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Andrew Garfield's performance as Spidey himself and surprisingly strong chemistry with Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy keep it from being AS bad as Batman and Robin, but are not enough to lift it above pure turd status as a whole.

Basically, I use the analogy of comparing this to The Legend of Chun-Li, whereas Spider-Man 3 is more like the Van Damme Street Fighter (as in, still bad, but at least funny bad and a guilty pleasure).

Jump to Post

05.17.2014 6:52pm

The Hulk
Good Boy

It's nowhere near such legendary levels of bad.  Just a few sizeable bad choices that leave it quite meh overall.  To compare it to something like Batman and Robin is going way overboard.  Worst part is definitely Jamie Foxx, I don't know why people keep insisting he is right for movies.  It's a miracle to my eyes that Tarantino managed to somehow coax a merely mediocre performance from him one time.

Jump to Post

05.17.2014 7:47pm

Zubis
Registered Member

Rhaegar said:

surprisingly strong chemistry with Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy

Not that surprising, they're a couple in real life for 3 years. The chemistry was so strong that Sony were reluctant to kill off Gwen at all apparently. Given that Marvel split up Peter and MJ 5 years ago I can kinda see their reasoning.

Jump to Post

05.17.2014 9:39pm

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

Don't know yet, I'm going to rent it (like basically everything else I see).  I do think it's a strange phenomenon when 50% on Rotten Tomatoes is taken as evidence that a movie isn't good when, taken at face value, it means you've got an even chance of liking it versus not liking it.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

05.17.2014 10:29pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

It was ok but nothing really made it stand out. The climax was really good but other than that it was kind of "meh".

Still prefer the Sam Raimi Spidey films so far. Sure it was cheesier but it did cheese well.

Jump to Post

05.18.2014 12:30pm

Zo
another blue ribbon

I'm still not sure why people hate one the first one so much. It wasn't great by any means, but to hear people talk about these movies you'd think they were Plan 9 From Outer Space.

Really they shot themselves in the foot by killing Gwen, though. The chemistry between Garfield and Stone is like 90% of what makes those movies bearable.

Jump to Post

05.18.2014 3:28pm

Old Juan
filled with hate

The movie suffered from trying to cram too much content into one movie. Many of the emotional beats just didn't feel earned despite actor chemistry being good.

I'll actually give them props for killing Gwen off just because her death is one of the most iconic moments not only in Spiderman but in comics as well and "changing" the comic history would actually be something you'd expect from a modern studio. So that fact that they actually stayed true to it was refreshing.

The only bad side to this was that the entire arc with the Green Goblin shoulld've been it's own movie and shouldn't havve had to share screen time with the Electro and Sinister Six build up nonsense.

Oh and Jamie Foxx was fucking terrible, they practically lifted Jim Carrey's Riddler arc from Batman Forever almost verbatim.

Jump to Post

05.18.2014 7:44pm

Spoony
TEH DISCORD CREW~

This thread is a little loose with the unmarked spoilers for a movie that's only been out for a little over two weeks.

Jump to Post

05.18.2014 7:48pm

Mole
Somebody loves ya.

The problem with this movie is that it's so many movies. There's relationship drama, screwball comedy, high camp, conspiracy investigation, coprorate intrigue, and parables about guilt and responsibility.  Each of these exists in a little bubble that has little to do tonally or thematically with the movie surrounding it.

Jamie Foxx gives a perfectly fine performance by someone who doesn't know what movie he's in. It's unclear as to why Harry Osbourne puts so much trust into someone he hasn't seen since middle school, or how he has working knowledge of characters whom he's never met. The investigation of Peter's parents is terminally boring and could be cut from the movie without incident. There's also a scene involving a battery that I genuinely did not understand until it was explained forty-five miuntes later.

But then Emma Stone appears on screen and the movie comes alive. Their relationship is deeply convincing and the throughline across the two movies completely works. Her look at the end is horrifying.  It's the best part about both movies and is presumably what Mark Webb was hired for, so it's puzzling that it's not allowed to be a bigger part of the series. Sony had a secret weapon that no other superhero franchise has -- a star-crossed romance that was doomed to tragedy -- and instead decided to bank on villains. Oh well.

Above all it suffers from the mandate that a movie must now be an advertisement for future movies, a trend whose existence I will personally blame on every person who liked The Avengers. Yes, this includes you.

Jump to Post

05.18.2014 10:05pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

I skipped the first one and watched this. And there was some good stuff there. But my problem is I'm a big Spider-Man fan. I don't know who this character is, but he's not Peter Parker..

Jump to Post

05.19.2014 12:47am

FenixDown
The King's orders are absolute

I thought it was ok overall. Lot of things about it I would have handled differently, and they definitely tried to cram too much into the movie. The relationship between Gwen and Peter carried the bulk of the movie. I probably won't ever get the blu ray, but it was at least worth a single viewing. Going to miss Emma Stone in Amazing Spiderman 3, hopefully the Sinister Six will have a good dynamic.

Let's Play Chrono Trigger
Let's Play The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Let's Play Final Fantasy VI

Jump to Post

05.19.2014 2:16am

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

Spoony said:

This thread is a little loose with the unmarked spoilers for a movie that's only been out for a little over two weeks.
Yeah, especially since some of us use "new posts" to get their updates. :D  In this particular case it's not a huuuuuuge deal since most of us know how the comics go but when I saw the "major" spoiler of the movie I definitely downgraded this from see in theater to see at home since I can't stand spoilers.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

05.19.2014 8:48am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Zo said:

I'm still not sure why people hate one the first one so much. It wasn't great by any means, but to hear people talk about these movies you'd think they were Plan 9 From Outer Space.

It wasn't bad but the movie just didn't stand out. It also didnt help that it was released the same summer as The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter