Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

The Force Awakens

< Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 Next >

12.27.2015 4:51am

Lexx
I know how they work

I just got back from seeing it.  I thought it was pretty good.  I liked all the new characters, especially Poe.  The plot was a bit too derivative of A New Hope, but it was leagues better than The Phantom Menace, so I can't be too down on it.  Most of my complaints are nitpicks.  The only one that is really sticking in my craw is:

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
Hosnian Prime's destruction being seen from Takodana.  Supposedly, Hosnian Prime is a Core World, while Takodana is in the Mid Rim.  That's...quite a significant distance.  Not to mention a faster than light weapon being visible as a beam of light.

Jump to Post

12.27.2015 11:41am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Fukiyama said:

As I said, I haven't seen the movie yet (probably a matinee either this week or next week).  However, for those of you who have, I want to post this just for your comments for after.  This is from an online film blog that I follow.

How The Force Awakens...

But it's not like the previously canonized novels that takes place after ROTJ presented a definitve happy ending after ROTJ as well. I mean I haven't read any of the novels but a friend of mine who did said the confilct does not end just because the Emperor and Vader dies at the end of Episode VI.

Testament said:

^^ I really enjoy the soundtrack.  There are a few new themes, but the most prominent is Rey's Theme.  Good stuff.  Definitely give the soundtrack a listen if you get the chance.

Loved it too. It felt more personal and felt like the score was taking us to a journey.

Jump to Post

12.31.2015 2:28pm

Amer
pew pew pew

Finally saw it last night. Overall enjoyed it but now without gripes:

1. It did feel too derivative of A New Hope. I was enjoying it most when it was putting in something new. The "trench run" was honestly the final straw for me on this. What really worries me about this, is I can see the next movie totally being derviative of Empire now. Rey is training with Luke (Yoda) when her friends (Finn/Poe/Leia) get in trouble and she feels it, leaving her training early to go rescue them, only to clash with Kylo Renn (Vader) and find out that they are somehow related or know each other. And while I don't think they would really make them brother and sister, I could see Rey being a young jedi trainee that was saved from Renn's massacre. 

2. There was no explanation of the polictical structure. I had no idea why there was a resistance the whole movie. Why weren't they just part of the Republic Forces? I had to go fucking online to find out that the Republic and First Order had a treaty, which makes sense given the relative smallness of the Rebellion compare to the Empire in the original trilogy, but for gods sakes you have to tell us that. This is also goes to the point of what the hell happened between OT and FA, which I know is supposed to be a bit of the mystery, but you can have character background mystery and still fill us in on the damn history of the universe. 

3. I actually enjoyed Kylo Renn. He seemed like a young, over his head, dark side apprentice who thinks he's hot shit but isn't really when compared to other force users. And yes, Rey is a bit of a savant (yet Luke also force pulled a lightsaber with no training) but Renn is really just not very well trained. 

4. I wasn't surprised in the least that Solo died. I feel like Harrison Ford has always been clear about being meh about returning to the franchise and was vocal about wanting to be killed off in Jedi. I'm sure he came back "just for one more" and for tons o money. 

5. Slightly less gripe, but there was also an obvious bit of cribbing from the extended universe that they imploded. I only ever read Rogue/Wraith Squadron and some of the Young Jedi Knights books but I have a vague understanding of what happened and I know things like Jacen going bad and the Starkiller are all in there. 

Jump to Post

01.01.2016 2:06am

Soul Hunter
Ambitious but rubbish
Administrator

Am I the only one who found myself liking Rey more than anyone probably should?  Maybe not.  Went to Toys R Us the other day and all her action figures are sold out.   

Jump to Post

01.03.2016 3:25am

kjonez
with a Z

Just got home from seeing it tonight. There are some things I agree with and disagree with from what people have said so far. But despite all of that it left me wanting to see more, which I think is the biggest goal they had and it worked. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the Star Wars universe with this new direction. It's kinda like how Nolan's version of Batman really captured an audience despite people liking or hating the movies.

That and the dogfight scenes were fantastic, best ever. I was totally pretending my car was an X wing on the ride home. 

Practical effects were great too.

Jump to Post

01.03.2016 5:29am

Testament
Shamshot

Soul Hunter said:

Am I the only one who found myself liking Rey more than anyone probably should?

Favorite character in any Star Wars movie.

...and Pilot Poe for President.

Jump to Post

01.04.2016 1:49am

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

I thought it was amazing.  Even better the second time I saw it.  It felt like a Star Wars Movie, which was important to me.

The second time I saw it, I took my brother, who has no taste and immediately wanted to talk about mysteries that were never explained and how much he hated the cliffhangers.  I had to remind him several times that A New Hope and Empire had several of those as well, but the difference is that by the time he was born, all three movies were out and he could immediately get resolution in his cliffhangers by just watching the next movie.  And also, unexplained mysteries in A New Hope and Empire were explained in the subsequent movies.  We were just spoiled by that and now we have to wait :-)

"Well, your brain seems to work a little bit." -- Rune Walsh, Phantasy Star IV.

Jump to Post

01.04.2016 5:05pm

Amer
pew pew pew

I love Rey. I went out and bought the Disney Infinity pack with her and Finn and also got Poe and Kylo Renn because hype and played the whole Force Awakens playset with her. 

Jump to Post

01.04.2016 5:30pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Amer said:

I love Rey. I went out and bought the Disney Infinity pack with her and Finn and also got Poe and Kylo Renn because hype and played the whole Force Awakens playset with her. 

I want the Rey and Finn pack; I have Poe on my shelf already.  I don't even own Infinity 3.0.  They're just damn nice looking figures.

Jump to Post

01.06.2016 8:49am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Soul Hunter said:

Am I the only one who found myself liking Rey more than anyone probably should?  

Well she's my nerd crush and I loved her character.

Jump to Post

01.06.2016 10:42pm

Amer
pew pew pew

Got to see it a 2nd time today via a work fun outing. After coming to peace with all my qualms from the first viewing I actually enjoyed this one a lot more. I even got a little emotional at some points. I think I was just looking for things to criticize the first time around and now they almost seem like nitpicks in comparison. It's crazy what going into the theater with a different viewpoint does. 

Jump to Post

01.07.2016 4:57pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

kjonez said:
I was totally pretending my car was an X wing on the ride home.

Hahaha, THAT sounds safe! :)

Saw it on the 24th and haven't had a chance to get on here since then.  Loved it.  Only one thing that was kind of disappointing-ish to me:

When they first showed R2 depowered and BB-8 went up to him, my brain immediately leapt to BB-8 IS R2 - like R2 was damaged and they took his core/memories/whatever and rebuilt him into BB-8.  Was so sad when that wasn't the case.  It would have made BB-8 so much more interesting and we wouldn't need both him and R2 then

Jump to Post

01.07.2016 6:10pm

Testament
Shamshot

I don't know what Luke's involvement will be in the grand scheme (I doubt he will be piloting a fighter) but R2 could always be there to get him (them) out of a jam, or just to be his quirky self. Whereas BB-8 is Poe's buddy and will most definitely see some more high-intensity fighter action.

Always room for more droids.

Jump to Post

01.07.2016 6:12pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Planning on seeing it my 8th time  this weekend :-)

Jump to Post

01.07.2016 6:17pm

Testament
Shamshot

LoL.  3rd time for me, this weekend.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter