Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

The Force Awakens

< Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 Next >

10.20.2015 5:39am

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

Seemed ok. Bad guy looks like he's COMING BACK FOR REVENGE! So this movie is NES Ninja Gaiden II. It'll be pretty. It'll follow the tropes and please fans.

Eh, I dunno. I'm not a hater. I just have a lot of trust in the overbearing cynicism of Disney and Abrams. Plus I just feel Star Wars is played out at this point.

Jump to Post

10.20.2015 6:39am

Lexx
I know how they work

Well, after being nonplussed for the longest time, that trailer has got me hype.  Admittedly, it was the Han/Leia theme, actual Han and Leia, seeing the Falcon go into hyperspace, and the X-Wings and TIE Fighters that got me hype.  I still don't give a shit about the newbies.  But whatevs.  I'm excited.

Jump to Post

10.20.2015 12:48pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Crusader said:

Seemed ok. Bad guy looks like he's COMING BACK FOR REVENGE! So this movie is NES Ninja Gaiden II. It'll be pretty. It'll follow the tropes and please fans.

Considering Episode I was critizised because of it's overly complicated and dull plot about trade routes and sentate hearings I think most would prefer a simpler plot to introduce a new Trilogy. I mean that's what A New Hope did that halped pave way for the darker Empire Strikes Back.

Jump to Post

10.20.2015 2:46pm

The Hulk
Good Boy

Somewhat ironic that Episode 1 turned out to be the best prequel in the end.

Jump to Post

10.20.2015 3:06pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Look how totally not ready for this Finn is:

Jump to Post

10.21.2015 12:13am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

The Hulk said:

Somewhat ironic that Episode 1 turned out to be the best prequel in the end.

Always thought it was the least liked.

Revenge of the Sith was the one I thnik met people's epxecations the most.

Jump to Post

10.21.2015 3:52am
Thread Creator

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

Yeah who said episode 1 was the best prequel?

Jump to Post

10.21.2015 3:57am

Lexx
I know how they work

Upon my most recent rewatch of the prequels, I reached the conclusion that Episode I is the worst.  Episode II is better, but barely.  And I actually enjoy Episode III.  Seeing Sheev's joy makes me happy.

Jump to Post

10.21.2015 5:12am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

I waffle on which prequel is worse, I or II. Both were pretty fucking rancid for slightly different reasons. Phantom Menace because of Jar-Jar, boring politics, midiclorians, and kid Anakin. Attack of the Clones because of the most vomit-inducing romantic dialogue ever written, aggravated by poor actor direction on Lucas' part. On the other hand, TPM at least had a good lightsaber fight; whereas AOTC didn't even have that going for it.

As for Episode III, thing is it had A LOT of the same bullshit that made I and II so unbearable. But, unlike I and II, it also had a good amount of cool shit (and even a *couple* of actual good things) to balance the overall product into something, well, a lot more watchable.

Jump to Post

10.21.2015 6:24am

Lexx
I know how they work

For a long time I considered Episode II the worst.  Honest to God, the past three times I tried to watch it I fell asleep.  And I NEVER fall asleep during movies.  I generally like Obi-Wan's scenes, but Anakin and Padme make me nauseous.  This past time with Episode I though, the combination of Jar Jar, Jake Lloyd, and worst of all, long stretches of boredom, were enough to make me rank it lower than Episode II.  The opening on Naboo is okay, I like the podrace, and the finale on Naboo is entertaining.  The whole rest of the movie though is just bland, boring garbage.  The middle portion on Tatooine is torturous.

To give this post some positivity: I can't stop watching that trailer.  I am getting seriously fucking hyped for this.

Jump to Post

10.21.2015 7:16am

The Hulk
Good Boy

shooter_mcgavin said:

Always thought it was the least liked.

Revenge of the Sith was the one I thnik met people's epxecations the most.
My personal opinion is a lot of people willed themselves into liking it far more than it was worthy of.  It was the "final" Star Wars film, the genesis of Vader, revelation of Palpatine etc...so it's got to be better, right?  Except it was fucking dire.

Make no mistake, me saying Episode 1 was the best prequel is emphatically me NOT saying it was a good film.  They were all terrible.

Jump to Post

10.21.2015 7:46am
Thread Creator

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

Honestly I can kind of say that the best part of the whole first trilogy was the dual of fates battle with Darth Maul.
But other than that I agree with everything Red Letter Media says about them.

Jump to Post

10.21.2015 2:01pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

I liked all the prequels though what I am thinking now is that Lucas directing all there probably wasn't the best way to go. I thik since Lucas was so attatched to his vision of the trilogy I have a feeling that he couldn't tell what was working and what was not. I always said Lucas' own worst enemy in the Prequel Trilogy was himself.

Many point to the dialoge exchanges between Padme and Anakin and it was definatley the low point of the prequels. If anyone saw that Star Wars Original Trilogy DVD Irvin Kershner pretty much changed many of hte exchanges between Han and Leia for Empire. He saw the scenes and lines that weren't working and had to make changes.

Han's "I know" after Leia said "I love you" was supposed to be "I Love you Too", Harrison Ford and Kersher felt the line was awkward for Han to say so they had Harrison Ford improvide the now famous "I Know" line.

I am pretty sure if Lucas directed Empire the line would have stayed the same since he wasn't actually good with actors from what I understood.

That said while JJ Abrams for me felt a bit too safe as a director for The Force Awakens, which I can understand since Disney wants the best possible outcome for the first film of the this new Trilogy (and having the director of Looper, Rian Johnson is a bold hiring for Episode VIII), I like the fact JJ Abrams is a Star Wars Fanboy. I mean there's many that said the novels from the expanded Universe are some of the best stories in Star Wars and those novels were likely written by fanboys. My take is that Abrams took The Force Awakens in a direction fans wanted it to take, more so than the prequels when fanboys were upset about Jar Jar and Darth Vader was both an annoying and whiny kid.

Jump to Post

10.21.2015 2:13pm

Call
Firefightin' Administrator
Administrator

Episode III could have been saved if Anakin/Vader had popped a red lightsaber in the Jedi Temple when he killed the younglings.  How great would that have been?  Then the terrified look in the first kid's face would have been the instant recognition that he was a Sith.  If you're going Sith Lord, go all in.

I actually liked the political plot points of Episode I.  They were a necessary mechanism for installing Palpatine as Emperor, though it certainly could have been done so much better and cleaner.  They took a good idea and made it clumsy.  The fact that Jar-Jar nominates him and seals the Republic's doom was the best part of the whole plotline, though.

Jump to Post

10.21.2015 3:55pm

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Call said:

Episode III could have been saved if Anakin/Vader had popped a red lightsaber in the Jedi Temple when he killed the younglings.  How great would that have been?  Then the terrified look in the first kid's face would have been the instant recognition that he was a Sith.  If you're going Sith Lord, go all in.

I actually liked the political plot points of Episode I.  They were a necessary mechanism for installing Palpatine as Emperor, though it certainly could have been done so much better and cleaner.  They took a good idea and made it clumsy.  The fact that Jar-Jar nominates him and seals the Republic's doom was the best part of the whole plotline, though.

Actually Palpatine became chancellor at the end of episode 1, Jar Jar is the one who ended up giving him emergency powers in Episode II. But yeah, still the source of the Republic's ultimate demise.

And I'm in the camp that 1 or 2 is the worst depending on the day but 3 wasn't so terrible.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter