Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

06.11.2013 6:22pm
Thread Creator (Edited on 06.11.2013 at 6:31pm)

Zubis
Registered Member

The quest for better CG.

Can someone explain to me how the Lord of the Rings movies look like they have better special effects? Some of the scenes in the Hobbit trailer look horrible.
Do I just have nostalgia goggles on for LotR?

EDIT: Switch the trailer to 1080p or 720p if you can, there's a shocking difference in quality.

Jump to Post

06.11.2013 6:26pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

The action going a little... uh... over the top? isn't helping.

You... you don't need to turn the barrel ride into a battle, Pete.  Not everything needs to be a battle.

Jump to Post

06.11.2013 6:27pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Gotta justify 3 movies.

Jump to Post

06.11.2013 6:36pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Man, I don't even like the book, and I find the first movie superior to its section of said book, but... even I find some of the changes that are going in questionable.  I mean--okay, so yeah, having a big battle is probably the easiest way to make the dwarves look compentent (the biggest improvement from the source material, in which they were 12 bumblers who spent the entire time fucking up and getting saved by Gandalf, and then Bilbo), but there's gotta be a line somewhere and, and, and--

Riding barrels upright down river rapids while fighting monkey/acrobat/archer elves is maybe over that line. Yeesh.

Smaug looks pretty cool, though. 

Jump to Post

06.11.2013 6:37pm

JSG
Registered Member

I think the LotR movies reigned it in more.  Hobbit seems to be going as big and over the top as it can, even with CGI.  A lot of it looks really fake because of that.

Still, it looks fun.

Jump to Post

06.11.2013 6:40pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

JSG said:

Still, it looks fun.

Yeah, negativity aside I'm really just quibbling over a single scene.  I'm sure it'll be fine and fun, just like the first one.  Not turned off at all.

Jump to Post

06.11.2013 6:41pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

I didn't actually notice a differene between 720 and 1080.

I really enjoyed the first movie and I'm definitely looking forward to this one. Yeah, they won't ever be as good as the original LOTR trilogy but as standalone films, I think they look great..

Jump to Post

06.11.2013 7:26pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Awesome. Can't wait.

Jump to Post

06.11.2013 8:21pm

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

I liked the first Hobbit, but thought it was a major step down from even the weakest of the LotR movies.  I haven't read the book in a long time, and I'm sure this is partly my age showing, but Gandalf and the dwarves really got on my nerves when they invited themselves into Bilbo's home and acted like such jerks about it.  I kept waiting for a reason I should want these assholes to get their ancestral home back, and I didn't get much.  The movie seemed to think Bilbo needed to prove himself to them, rather than the other way around.  Plus the toilet humor.  At times I felt like I was watching the wrong sort of kid's movie.

I did like Bilbo, though, and I liked Gollum, and there was good action, and it looked nice.  It was all right.  I figure I'm in it for the long haul.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

06.11.2013 8:50pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I will probably boycott this movie.

Jump to Post

06.12.2013 1:20am

Crisium
N/A

I like the Peter Jackson LOTR universe so I look forward to it just like the first.  Obviously the par is lowered from that trilogy, but it's still fun and I didn't mind the pacing of the first even as others claimed it was too long.

Jump to Post

06.12.2013 11:58am
 (Edited on 06.12.2013 at 12:07pm)

dem
Sing for me, little bird

Even after the shit pacing of the first movie(and I shudder to imagine what the extended version will be like), I still find myself looking forward to this. As long as the Mirkwood elves don't grind the entire movie to a halt for 30 minutes like the Rivendell elves did...

Jump to Post

06.12.2013 4:25pm
 (Edited on 06.12.2013 at 4:47pm)

Kal
yes

The first movie was boring and kitsch as hell, so I think I'll wait for the third movie to come out and for some fan to edit the three movies down into one to watch anything Hobbit related.

edit: Lee Pace though

Jump to Post

06.12.2013 9:08pm

Murasame
HALE YEAH

Kal said:

The first movie was boring and kitsch as hell, so I think I'll wait for the third movie to come out and for some fan to edit the three movies down into one to watch anything Hobbit related.

edit: Lee Pace though

This. Although, I feel an extended edition would fix the pacing. Unless these movies are the extended editions. In which case

I am off this train. This slow, sleepy train. I'm gonna walk faster than this slow train of movies. With my imagination. I hate the barrell scene so much, but I'm gonna force myself a much more interesting scene in my head with pathos and characterisation and sexy makeout sessions with lee pace

Jump to Post

06.14.2013 4:18am

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

Maybe I went in with low expectations from reviews on Part I, but I enjoyed An Unexpected Journey. That said, it could've been great with 20 minutes cut out of it. That 2-mountains-fighting scene was particularly terrible, and I don't know why they abandoned make-up Orcs in favor of CGI. Azog looks like a shitty video game character and would've been so much cooler had he been done realistically i.e. Lurtz.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter