Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

06.14.2013 5:55am

Som
Genitals are Funny

The LotR movies are some of my favourites of all time. one thing that impressed the shit out of me was watching the Extended edition DVDs with how they did stuff. Coolest thing was unlike say Star Wars movies where everything waws infront of a green screen, in LotR stuff was layers. matte painting in the very back ground, then maybe a miniture then a lil CG then the real set and actor. made scenes look amazing. That trailer and the first Hobbit movie it seems like they are moving ever closer to Star Wars where entire scenes minus the Actors are just green screen CGI.

Still looks amazing and I'll go see it multiple times and love it all but

practical effects > CGI

Jump to Post

06.14.2013 7:39pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Agreed. Practical effects can pull off some amazing, beautiful things, and look so much more real. Nowadays they just go "eh, don't worry about it, we'll just CG it later!". It's lazy. That's not to discredit the artists that work on it, but the producers/directors should realize that some things just look so much better when they're real.

Jump to Post

10.01.2013 11:46pm
 (Edited on 10.02.2013 at 2:34am)

TheheirofGondor
Registered Member

New trailer out today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPVWy1tFXuc&;feature=share

I have to say, I'm going into this movie with a healthy amount of doubt in my heart.   It just looks like some action movie set in middle earth, rather than the Hobbit.  I've read a lot of Tolkien in my life and seeing the direction they may be taking this does not make me feel excited and fuzzy the same way the LOTR movies did.  I was hoping with the three movie format they would fully explore the White Council and more old lore with Sauron, not use it to add characters, change the story to give it action everywhere, and give Legolas a friking love story.

Jump to Post

10.02.2013 12:54am

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

Prepare to be disappointed Heir.

Jump to Post

10.02.2013 2:22am

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

It's been a while since I read the Hobbit. Wasn't the barrel scene pretty much the dwarves and Bilbo riding the barrels down river and not getting attacked by orcs?

Jump to Post

10.02.2013 2:33am

TheheirofGondor
Registered Member

Id82 said:

It's been a while since I read the Hobbit. Wasn't the barrel scene pretty much the dwarves and Bilbo riding the barrels down river and not getting attacked by orcs?

Yup, very uneventful, perhaps a few pages in the books as they made their way to Lake Town.  But of course to PJ that means "BATTLE SCENE".  (note, I love PJ and consider his work on LOTR, outside of a few choices, to be exemplary.)  What he's doing to the Hobbit is bordering on tradgety though.

Jump to Post

10.02.2013 3:04am

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

The thing that annoyed me the most about the movies was that the orcs are now CG where they looked awesome as men in costume. I don't understand why he chose to go in this direction.

Jump to Post

10.02.2013 5:02am

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

^Seriously. The practical Orcs were so good. The Pale Orc in The Hobbit looks like a video game character.

I love LotR and I enjoyed the first Hobbit, but yeah, if these had been the original 2 movies instead of 3, I would've been much happier. There was so much fluff in the first Hobbit movie, and yet there's still gonna be an extended edition?! Come on.

Jump to Post

10.02.2013 5:36am

dem
Sing for me, little bird

What, you mean you don't want to see the dwarves stuck in that tree for an even longer amount of time? But to be fair, they aren't adding nearly as much extra footage to the extended version of Hobbit 1 that was added to each LotR film. Then again that's probably because all the extra footage was already cut back in when they decided to turn this thing into a trilogy.

Jump to Post

10.03.2013 2:51pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Minor quibbles aside, I'm really looking forward to this movie. It should have been two movies instead of three, which obviously is leading to a lot of scenes being drawn out longer than they should be, but I enjoyed The Hobbit and I see no reason why I won't enjoy this.

Jump to Post

10.04.2013 1:30pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

I'll catch this movie but I won't be that excited for it. I thought the first Hobbit movie was way too long and I did like the dwarves and Bilbo but the movie was horribly paced. I can't imagine the 2nd one being any better unless the movie is only 2 hours long which I would be cool with.

Jump to Post

12.15.2013 6:46pm

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

Just saw this last night. I think I enjoyed it more than the first mainly for Smaug who was really really well done.
Peter Jackson did take a lot of artistic liberties and added a lot of stuff that just never occurs in the book. At this time I'm not really sure if it was a good or bad thing.

Jump to Post

12.15.2013 7:57pm

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

Both Hobbit movies are definitely entertaining, but it's a mindless entertainment compared to the genuine feel of LotR. My main gripes (still) are: 

1) The excess, whether it be needlessly long scenes or unnecessary bits (looking at you, scene from the first movie with two rock/mountain giants fighting) or every fight involving a seemingly endless suppy of orcs. It's really obvious at this point that The Hobbit could've been a great 2 movies, but will end up being a sagging 3 movies. 

2) The reliance of CGI instead of practical effects. The orcs still look like they're out of video games, and their scenes in Laketown in this movie seemed especially bad. The camera movements with the orcs are painfully artificial, which doesn't help. That one shot of Legolas leaving Laketown via a horse was pretty bad, too-- why not actually film actors on real horses for this scene? There were thousands of horses in The Two Towers.

3) The tone. I feel like these two movies have been inconsistent with trying to balance the childishness of The Hobbit with the darker tone of Lord of the Rings. I like a lot of the jokes (particularly the stuff with Legolas and Gimli's dad), but the bumbling Master of Laketown and his cartoonish assistant seem out of place alongside scenes of Gandalf investigating Dol Guldur.

Jump to Post

12.15.2013 9:27pm

Zo
another blue ribbon

So much filler in this film. The first Hobbit film felt a little stretched - this one you could see through. 80% of this film is pointless, noisy filler that's been inserted to make the films a) longer and b) more epic. Meanwhile there's a perfectly good story in there, featuring a perfect main cast, that's suffocating under the weight of all the bullshit that's been laid on top of it. 

Strip away the extraneous action sequences, stupid love triangle bullshit and compulsive need to make this a direct prequel to LotR, and you've got a decent film. You've also probably only got a sequence of two films. 

Jump to Post

12.16.2013 12:01am

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

This movie was awful and awesome at the same time. 

I hate it as a Hobbit book fan, but I love it as a fan of mineless action movies. 

I understand why Jackson makes thes changes if you put The Hobbit in book form into movie it would be dull as shit for the movie going public so I cant fault him for doing it becasue thats the only way we can get it. 

But as a book fan, FUCK THIS SHIT!

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter