Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

The Thing

< Prev 1 2 Next >

10.10.2011 6:16pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txjm94GnrPA

The Thing is my favourite horror movie of all time, so I'm a little pumped to see this trailer. It captures the feel and the paranoia of the 80s movie very well.

It's out this Friday - any fans of the original? 

Jump to Post

10.10.2011 8:59pm

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

Hell yes I'm a fan of the original. John Carpenter, Kurt Russell, what more could you want? I'll be rewatching it tonight or tomorrow night before the new movie.

Though every time I saw a trailer for the new one, I kept thinking that that one bearded guy was Andy from Parks and Rec. Naturally, I was disappointed when I found out it was not...

Jump to Post

10.11.2011 4:16am

Crux
A mental Dentist's office

I actually saw the original this past weekened on Encore(?). It was definitely creepy, and got really crazy especially after the Thing tried to frame people.

So supposedly this movie will be a bit of a Prequel with the Norwegians escapades.

Jump to Post

10.11.2011 5:46am

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

The original was good.  I'm more of a fan of the novelization, though.  I want to see this one.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

10.11.2011 2:10pm

OrionHardy
Otherworld

Didn't know about this until this thread, and seeing the trailer I thought it was a remake. If it's a prequel though I'll give a look, the original film was great. Shame about the terrible video game though.

Great men aren't everywhere, just where it counts.

If you ever see me online playing Halo, join me please.

Jump to Post

10.11.2011 6:27pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

I love Carpenter's The Thing. It remains as tense and creepy today as it was when it was first released and the special effects have lost none of their punch. The performances were great across the board as well.

I'm going to see the new The Thing, but I'm praying and praying it's more a prequel than a remake, which it looks like unfortunately.

Jump to Post

10.11.2011 7:07pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

To be clear, it's not a remake, it takes place in the Norweigian camp that was already destroyed by the start of the original movie. And yeah, we know how it ends for the Norweigians.

Jump to Post

10.11.2011 10:20pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

I know it's not supposed to be a remake, but a few too many scenes in trailers and clips and screenshots that I've seen resemble Carpenter's The Thing a little too much.

And you can just bet if it's successful, they'll completely retcon Carpenter's The Thing so they can sequelize it to hell or something equally Hollywood.

Jump to Post

10.12.2011 1:39pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

It looks like what I have termed a PREMAKE.

That is:  a prequel canonically that has basically the same plot as the original, because they're trying to trend on the nostalgia of the original without upsetting the fans that think that a remake is inherently bad.

Jump to Post

10.12.2011 2:50pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

^ Oooh, I like it :D Premake. I'm so stealing that.

Jump to Post

10.12.2011 4:57pm

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

So...wait.  is John Carpenter's The Thing the original, or is the 1950's The Thing (From Another World) the original and Carpenter's a remake?  I had watched the 1950's one wanting to see the original The Thing, and didn't really have any desire to see remakes, since I assumed from what people said that the original was still the best, but since people are referring to Carpenter's as the original here, maybe they meant that one?

How much better is Carpenter's than the original original(which I did enjoy)? 

Jump to Post

10.12.2011 5:55pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Here's the thing. Carpenter's The Thing is said to be closer to the original novella "Who Goes There?" then The Thing from Another World was.

The Thing (2011) is a "premake" of Carpenter's 1981 film The Thing.

The Thing from Another World was about a plant-based organism that grew and attacked the people in the base, whereas The Thing is about an unknown creature that imitates the inhabitants of the base taking them over and killing them off one by one.

Carpenter's The Thing also plays out more like a horror sci-fi film, than the "original original", as well.

Jump to Post

10.12.2011 11:30pm
 (Edited on 10.12.2011 at 11:37pm)

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

Catastrophe said:

Here's the thing. Carpenter's The Thing is said to be closer to the original novella "Who Goes There?" then The Thing from Another World was.

Maybe, but it's pretty far removed from Who Goes There?, anyway. Sure, WGT was about an alien in Antarctica that disguises itself as human, and it spawned paranoid science fiction, but it was like The Thing by way of early heroic pro-American war films.

WHO GOES THERE SPOILERS (not that it really matters)

"There is an enemy in our midst, but we are a good, strong brotherhood of men who will defeat it without putting much effort into it!"

/SPOILERS

If you did want to read a book on the subject, Alan Dean Foster's novelization of The Thing is better.

Jump to Post

10.13.2011 8:11pm

judge_raz
Ceci n'est pas une lobster

I would rather go through a full mouth root canal than watch this. I'll stick to the original, which did not need to be remade in any way shape or form, thank you very much.

"Of Christ's twelve Apostles Judas alone proved to be traitor. But if he had acquired power, he would have represented the other eleven Apostles as traitors, and also all the lesser Apostles whom Luke numbers as seventy." - Leon Trotsky

I have a blog. This is its URL. You should read it. It's about education and skepticism and books and it has a lot of pictures of Batman and Robin in it: https://baldermoon.wordpress.com/

Jump to Post

10.13.2011 9:07pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

It's not techincally a remake, Raz, but a Premake (hey, it is catching on).  It's basically a prequel to the original Thing.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter