Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

"The 'What Anime Are You Watching Right Now' Thread vFFS"

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 Next >

12.02.2011 5:35pm

JSG
Registered Member

Spent last night watching Deadman Wonderland.  Great stuff.  Insanely fun.  I just wish the last episode wasn't just a dozen dangling plot threads saying "stick around for the next season."  It's one thing to resolve a few things and leave some stuff open for the next season.  It's another thing entirely to feel like you just stopped in the middle.

But other than that, I'd say this is the best anime I've seen in a long time (...admittedly I've only watched three in the past two others in the past three years, and one was utter shit so there really isn't much competition, but still).  Really reminded me how fun a good action anime can be.

Jump to Post

12.13.2011 10:06pm

Feanor
Dominator

Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo - ahhh, new Makoto Shinkai.

Well, this won't bring the full-on awesomeness that The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi provided me with as a special treat last Christmas but hopefully it'll be more Hoshi no Koe than Kumo no Muko.

Jump to Post

12.14.2011 9:34am
 (Edited on 12.15.2011 at 8:45am)

Lews
Lord of the Morning

i actually just downloaded that for my psp.  looking forward to it.

for some reason, i'm really in a bleach mood lately, so a few days ago i got caught up with the manga chapters and realized the anime wasn't too far behind for once.  so, i decided to go back and catch up on that, starting with the ichigo vs. ulquiorra episodes that i never watched.  the earlier episodes featuring the fight with szayel apollo grantz bored me into not watching for a while, but i'm glad i picked it back up.  now i really want to get that soul resurreccion game for ps3.

otherwise, i'm finally getting around to watching madoka, and holy shit.  i should learn that when a show is talked about that much, it's usually pretty good, or at least worth checking out.  got about 3 more episodes left, so i should finish it in the next day or two.

when i'm doing some paperwork during the graveyard shift and want to watch something that isn't subtitled (for the sake of not having to pay full attention) i find myself checking out dragonaut: the resonance.  anyone know if that show is worth watching?  haven't even finished the first episode, but aside from the oversized tits, the character designs and colors seem nice.

Jump to Post

12.14.2011 11:28pm

Plumbum
Yes, what of it?

I just finished watching R.O.D. The Tv again. God, that dub is fantastic. I love it more each time.

Jump to Post

12.15.2011 5:32pm
 (Edited on 12.15.2011 at 7:00pm)

JSG
Registered Member

Decided to, two years later, get around to finishing Michiko and Hatchin.

Goddamn that was good.  I had watched about fifteen episodes when it was airing but never finished.  Sat down last week and just watched the whole series over a few days.  It's better than I remember.  Easily one of the best series I've seen in the last decade.

Attempted to watch Fate/Zero but there was literally nothing about the first episode to like.  At all.  So I decided to pass on that one.

Now I'm rewatching Wolf's Rain because it's awesome and I haven't seen it in years.
EDIT:  And wow.  I remembered Wolf's Rain's music being really good, but I forgot just how good it actually is.

Jump to Post

12.25.2011 2:16am

Lews
Lord of the Morning

Finished Madoka, and wow.  A very close 2nd behind Steins;Gate for my AOTY.  #3 is Bunny Drop, in case you were wondering.

Still catching up on Bleach, and loving it.  If it keeps up this pace, I may just have to officially call it my favorite anime of all time.  But don't worry, Kenshin.  As of now, you're still #1 in my heart XD

Jump to Post

01.02.2012 4:54am
 (Edited on 01.03.2012 at 7:57am)

tenken
Hooligan

Right now, I'm midway through Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu (the first season).  I guess I'm just feeling in a romance anime kind of mood, and even though this one leaves a lot to be desired, I guess I need my fix badly enough that I'm still gonna finish it.  After that, I'm gonna re-watch Toradora, since I got the DVDs for Christmas.  The subtitling font/effects on the DVDs are really kind of primitive compared to the 720p fansub - the black border around the subs actually had a bit of a pixelated edge on my TV. :(  Kinda sad when the fansub is a more compelling offering than the retail product, but Toradora is a personal favorite of the last decade, so I'm glad to own it and support the release.  If there is a blu-ray release of it in the future, I would double-dip.

That said, what are the good romance series of the last couple years?  It's possible I've missed some, but it just seems to me that romance series that aren't also "harem series" don't get made all that often anymore, much to my disappointment.  It's the annual New Year's freeleech time on BakaBT right now, so I'm stocking up on series to watch over the rest of the year.  My projected to-watch pile has a bit too many robots in it right now, so suggest a good shonen romance or two.

EDIT: Aaaand we move on into Nogizaka Haruka season 2.  There seems to be some "ecchi creep" here where more fanservicey shots find their way into the plot somehow, but I'm along for the ride now, so I'm not gonna bail anyway.

Jump to Post

01.04.2012 3:01pm

Feanor
Dominator

You want the truth, Tenken? Can you handle the truth?

OK, the best romance series of the last couple of years is... Aoi Hana. Now, before you look this up and scoff at me because it's girls dating girls, trust me. I think Aoi Hana came out in 2009. It was either that or tail end of 2008. Regardless, it was the best series of the year when I watched it.

Yes, it is girls and girls but forget that and just watch it. It's not fan-servicey at all, it deals with the characters realistically and develops them appropriately, has a great seiyuu cast and lovely water colour style animation. I do really like it and recommend you check it out. Although don't if you want a romance series which is all roses and sparkles because in Aoi Hana not everyone is nice and not everyone is happy by the end.

Otherwise romance animes have been pretty meh the last few years. Kimi ni Todoke was nice and pleasant but the main characters were just TOO dense and the series too slow moving (I think by the end of the first season all that had been accomplished after 26 episodes was for the two leads to hold hands accidently, or something equally lame and noncommital). Jeez... what other half-decent romance anime have there been lately? The only other one I can think of is a number of years old, Bokura ga Ita. That was okay but a little bit angsty (though in a way it's a shame there wasn't more of the anime as the manga seemed to continue on in quite an interesting manner).

That's about all I can remember in terms of outright romance anime recently. You could  watch The Tatami Galaxy *nudge* *nudge* about the lead's attempt to have that "rose coloured campus life" at college and the romance it's supposed to involve. Of course the series is much more crazy than that but it's not only my favourite series of 2010 but also one my favourite animes ever now. The conclusion / message the series reaches is near to my heart!

As for what I ended up watching over Christmas: nothing! Yup, really didn't happen or feel in the mood when I had the free time.

Jump to Post

01.05.2012 4:00am

tenken
Hooligan

Actually, I have watched The Tatami Galaxy.  Really a brilliant series, which made me track down other works by that director, even.  It's also one of the few series where I had to pause at times to read whole lines of the rapid-fire monologuing.  But I think the way the series was put together made what it had to say in the end feel very true, and I was happy with how things resolved.  Big fan, and I would totally buy that series if it was available.

Kimi ni Todoke, my feelings are largely the same as yours.  It's a nice series, and has a good, warm feel to it, but looking back over the episodes, one feels a startling lack of any real progress in the relationship.  The characters (and perhaps, by association, the viewers) get so caught up in the shifting feelings of the moment that it's not immediately obvious that the show takes forever to go anywhere.  There was even a second season, but I didn't watch it because at the glacial rate Sawako and Kazehaya's relationship moved, the climax of the second series might be "one of them invites the other over to their HOUSE and their parents are GONE, DUN DUN DUNNNNN!"  Heart palpitations all around.

As for Aoi Hana...I'm not really a fan of yuri, which may be why I never heard of it, but if I can track it down I'll at least give it a shot, since you seem to think highly of it.  But it might turn out to be one of those series like Koi Kaze, where I can appreciate how it's trying to tackle more provocative fare but just can't get into it.

Jump to Post

01.05.2012 4:53pm
 (Edited on 01.05.2012 at 6:38pm)

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

You guys would probably read the manga.  It moves at a slightly better pace.

Really, I think it's unfair to say the progress is slow.  Let's be honest, Sawako is, for all intents and purposes, socially awkward to the point where she wouldn't even know what to do in any situation.  It makes her adorable, if you ask me.

As for what I'm watching.  I'm currently watching Katanagatari.  It's really pretty.

Jump to Post

01.05.2012 7:40pm

Feanor
Dominator

tenken said:

There was even a second season, but I didn't watch it because at the glacial rate Sawako and Kazehaya's relationship moved, the climax of the second series might be "one of them invites the other over to their HOUSE and their parents are GONE, DUN DUN DUNNNNN!"  Heart palpitations all around.

Yeah, I never watched the second season. I did see the first couple of episodes but when it became apparent they were still going no-where fast I couldn't be bothered to watch further.

As for Aoi Hana...I'm not really a fan of yuri, which may be why I never heard of it, but if I can track it down I'll at least give it a shot, since you seem to think highly of it.  But it might turn out to be one of those series like Koi Kaze, where I can appreciate how it's trying to tackle more provocative fare but just can't get into it.

Well, it's not like Aoi Hana gets anywhere near sexual. No pun intended but the series plays the relationships straight and that's what I appreciate about it. Although the manga's creator does try to create series that raise particular social issues (last year's Wandering Son / Hōrō Musuko was another of her offerings but no way near as good) this is essentially a series about certain relationships; it just happens to be that most of them are female / female. Watch the first couple of episodes and you'll know whether or not it's something you'll get anything out of.

Really, I think it's unfair to say the progress is slow.  Let's be honest, Sawako is, for all intents and purposes, socially awkward to the point where she wouldn't even know what to do in any situation.  It makes her adorable, if you ask me.

I do think Sawako is cute in her awkward way and the cast of the series was pretty good. It's just that by the end of the first season I had had my fill of it. I guess the problem is compounded that the series actually moves quite fast for the first few episodes (maybe even almost to the half way mark) at which point the series craaaaawwlllsss to halt. The second season seemed like it wasn't doing much to alleviate that either.

I'm currently watching Katanagatari.  It's really pretty.

I thought Katanagatari was really ugly >_>

And quite boring (like its namesake Bakemonogatari). But, of course, that's just me ^^;

Jump to Post

01.06.2012 4:53am
 (Edited on 01.06.2012 at 4:59am)

Veers
Flying High

Well, happy new year fellas.

tenken said:

Actually, I have watched The Tatami Galaxy.  Really a brilliant series, which made me track down other works by that director, even.  It's also one of the few series where I had to pause at times to read whole lines of the rapid-fire monologuing.  But I think the way the series was put together made what it had to say in the end feel very true, and I was happy with how things resolved.  Big fan, and I would totally buy that series if it was available.
Tatami Galaxy was pretty great.  I've wondered about how a dub of that could be handled as the show is pretty much six hours of fast paced narration with unusually sophisiticated language.  I put Tatami Galaxy in my top 5 anime I saw for the first time in 2011*.  I know it got licensed by a company out of Australia, so there are legit English-subbed DVDs you can import, but I haven't done that yet.

My problem with Tatami Galaxy as an experience (not so much as a show) was that I made the mistake of watching it in a pretty small time frame, like an episode a day for a couple weeks, and I think not having a week between episodes really hurt it because of the "Endless Eight" syndrome the show has.  I hadn't been spoiled at all on the show, but it only took me two episodes to figure out what was going on, and why it was going on, and to formulate a good guess as to how the show might end, and sure enough, not only were my guesses right, there was really nothing else going on outside of that plot. 

Now, the show was still enjoyable, the dialog was still great, I loved the stylistic direction, the meta humor mostly worked, and I really enjoyed the sometimes tongue-in-cheek, sometimes blatant, commentaries on different things, and the payoff at the end was good, but, man, there really was a sense of "...this again?" when I was getting into the latter portion of the show.

I would totally recommend Tatami Galaxy, but with the little asterisk beside it that denotes "don't marathon this one."

*Speaking of asterisks... For the record, here are my top five of the year:
1. Madoka Magica (ended in the spring so still counts)
2. REDLINE (ordered two of the blurays, can't wait; everyone needs to watch this)
3. Mawaru Penguindrum
4. Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood (late to the party, I know)
5. The Tatami Galaxy

Strong contenders that didn't quite make the cut:
6. Michiko and Hatchin (this show is fantastic)
7. Monster (loved it, but the end was a disapointment)

I thought Katanagatari was really ugly >_>

And quite boring (like its namesake Bakemonogatari). But, of course, that's just me ^^;
Oh boy, Katanagatari.  What a completely soulless work that was.  Uninspired plot.  Never inspired any sense of emotional attachment to its hyper-unrealistic characters.  Dry and talky but with nothing meaningful to say.  Poorly written.  Over-written.  For all its miles and miles of dialog, the world and its rules never felt sufficiently developed, and there was nothing to get grounded to.  Boring.  But I do think it had a cool art style.

I am able to see the appeal in a lot of anime that don't appeal to me.  But Katanagatari?  I don't get it.  It has pretty much nothing at all interesting about it besides the art style and a couple cool fights.

Jump to Post

01.24.2012 12:24am

Plumbum
Yes, what of it?

My local library actually had the complete series of Last Exile on DVD. After marathoning it, I find I like it even more now than I did before. Wasn't there supposed to be talk of a sequel? Anyone know what's going on with that?

Jump to Post

01.24.2012 2:43am

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

^It just started a couple months ago in Japan. I watched the first few episodes, but my girlfriend didn't really remember the original series much, so we're gonna rewatch that and then watch the sequel series once it's dubbed.

Jump to Post

01.24.2012 4:55am

Lews
Lord of the Morning

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=12501

Here's the link to the sequel, if it's an actual sequel at all.  Haven't watched it, but I did watch about half of the first series and dropped it for some reason.

I'm finally getting around to watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood on Netflix.  With about 4 episodes left, I can say this series was fuck awesome until the 3 season (episode 26+) when it just got... meh.  I'm not really sure what happened, but it just kinda fell off from the amazing story and preceedings of the first 26 eps, and now it just feels like I'm watching it just to get it over with.  I can't remember the details of the end of the first FMA show, but I do remember it ending a lot better than this one so far.  Maybe the last handful of episodes will make up for a lackluster season 3.  I do have high hopes, it being FMA, afterall.

Also up to episode 6 of Mawaru Penguindrum and I'm really liking it so far.

Can't wait for AnoNatsu & Another from this season to finish airing so I can start watching.  Both are looking promising.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter