Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Tolkien the biopic

02.19.2019 6:10pm
Thread Creator

Fukiyama
Sysadmin of my brain

From Wiki:  "Tolkien is an upcoming American biographical drama film directed by Dome Karukoski and written by David Gleeson and Stephen Beresford. It is about the English professor, philologist and author J. R. R. Tolkien, author of The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion as well as notable academic works. The film stars Nicholas Hoult and Lily Collins."

The Official Trailer

Out in May.

It looks interesting from the trailer.  I've read someplace that Tolkien and his pre-war buddies are portrayed somewhat as outcasts, which would be unrealistic I think.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the principal actors, Hoult and Collins?  I've never seen them in anything.

Jump to Post

02.19.2019 8:55pm

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

Hoult played Nux in Mad Max Fury Road and I really liked that character. But he also played the zombie guy in the movie Warm Bodies. I think he could be good with a good director. Hoult doesn't really look like Tolkein though.

I'm not familiar with Lily Collins having not seen her in anything before. 

I don't really know much about Tolkein's life compared to what I saw in the documentary about him in the lord of the rings extended additions. So it would be interesting to see what's brought up that people haven't said about him before.

Jump to Post

02.19.2019 11:26pm
Thread Creator

Fukiyama
Sysadmin of my brain

I've read the authorized biography by Carpenter.

Tolkien's life when he was young was not boring, but I never would have thought it was worth a movie.  I can see prime points that could be jazzed up.

1. Tolkien's dad died when he was a baby.  His mother raised him and his siblings in rural England in relatively poor conditions.  She had converted to Catholicism and her family didn't like that, so they weren't very nice to her and didn't help much.  She died young and Tolkien always considered her a "martyr."

2. Tolkien and his wife met young.  She was Church of England and he was Roman Catholic and his guardian forbade him from seeing her.  Eventually he got around that.  Nothing dramatic though.

And of course, 3. The War and all but one of his pre-war pals being killed off.

Jump to Post

02.20.2019 7:08pm

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

Yeah one concern is that his personal life might not be interesting enough for film. I'm more interested in his creativity and process.

Jump to Post

02.21.2019 12:28am
Thread Creator

Fukiyama
Sysadmin of my brain

On #2, now that I think more about it, Tolkien had to break off contact for awhile.  His wife was actually engaged to someone else when he got old enough to make his own decisions.  He contacted her and she promptly broke off her engagement. :)

They could make some hay out of that, work up a triangle.

Jump to Post

02.21.2019 5:31pm

Spoony
TEH DISCORD CREW~

Especially if they make the other dude C.S. Lewis.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter