Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Apparently FFvsXIII does still exist...

04.26.2013 3:53am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

Darth Howie said:

Squeenix makes a profit on this game because they haven't actually been really working on it since it was announced. Its team was pulled to work on other titles on a regular basis, especially FFXIV. They've probably spent less on this than you'd think. FFXIV on the other hand probably costs around Star Wars TOR amounts of money; money that they're probably going to lose.

Ya, certainly.  profit certain places, losses certain others. I don't honestly know the profit / loss figures on their individual games versus overall, but I'd agree that's probably how it is landing right now. Drop FFXIV and I bet they are at a profit. Hell, they're still pulling bank from FFXI.

Jump to Post

04.26.2013 6:29am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

FF14 is such a black (red?) hole of money right now that you might as well just try to salvage any possible revenue you can get from it;. Unless someone has a history eraser button and can erase it from the space-time continuum.

Jump to Post

04.26.2013 10:06am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

Onyx said:

FF14 is such a black (red?) hole of money right now that you might as well just try to salvage any possible revenue you can get from it;. Unless someone has a history eraser button and can erase it from the space-time continuum.

If it's really been salvaged and essentially become what it really should have been anyway FFXI-2, I think it can recover the funds for on one day the FFXI servers will go their way.

Jump to Post

04.26.2013 4:00pm

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

Given the way the MMO market has gone lately, I wouldn't count on FFXIV getting its money back any time soon. It will need to differentiate itself enough from WOW, Guild Wars and FFXI to pull get new gamers, and they'll need to be interested in subscription fees. Final Fantasy doesn't have as strong a fanbase as it did when FFXI launched and MMOs in general are a glutted market with most MMO players inclined to stick with the games they're already playing because that's where their friends/guilds are. It will need to work hard to legitimately win long-term players. If they come from FFXI, Square Enix doesn't win because that's revenue transferred from one game to another. That's barely a net win for them outside of selling a game box. They need new players to win and, from everything I've read, FFXIV isn't a game changer.

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

04.27.2013 8:38am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

Darth Howie said:

Given the way the MMO market has gone lately, I wouldn't count on FFXIV getting its money back any time soon. It will need to differentiate itself enough from WOW, Guild Wars and FFXI to pull get new gamers, and they'll need to be interested in subscription fees. Final Fantasy doesn't have as strong a fanbase as it did when FFXI launched and MMOs in general are a glutted market with most MMO players inclined to stick with the games they're already playing because that's where their friends/guilds are. It will need to work hard to legitimately win long-term players. If they come from FFXI, Square Enix doesn't win because that's revenue transferred from one game to another. That's barely a net win for them outside of selling a game box. They need new players to win and, from everything I've read, FFXIV isn't a game changer.

Retention or revival of old FFXI players, dual subscriptions, and/or box sales is probably all they need to get it out of the red. It may never be a smashing success, but since we don't the real stats, it's hard to judge.

Jump to Post

04.29.2013 3:17pm

Rinoa
Night Star
Administrator

I really doubt that retention of old players will work, it's an ever eroding number. I hardly know anyone who plays either FF11 or FF14 in this day and age, which is saying a lot as I used to know a lot of super hardcore players who would stick by anything no matter how much it sucked.

Rinoa.Nu

Jump to Post

04.29.2013 11:52pm

Zubis
Registered Member

All the hardcore people in FFXI just quit today because of butt hurt in a version update anyway.

Jump to Post

04.29.2013 11:59pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

They should just get it over with and make FFXI free to play outside of Asia.

Jump to Post

04.30.2013 12:09am

Zubis
Registered Member

Still has 100K subscribers. At $12 a pop that's $14 million a year.

SE won't release a breakdown on server population, but it does seem the NA and EU populations have tanked in the last year or so.

Jump to Post

04.30.2013 1:57am
Thread Creator

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Zubis said:

All the hardcore people in FFXI just quit today because of butt hurt in a version update anyway.

What happened? 

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

04.30.2013 2:02am

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

Wait, what, really? Or is that just exaggeration for dramatic effect Zubi? I know there's been a lot of unpopular changes in the game over the years in updates, but I wonder what could be done to utterly break the game so much it turns off people in droves? (Only thing I heard about that was coming in the update was that 'Delve' thingy as part of Adoulin, but other than that, I have no idea.)

Funny how a thread on Versus XIII inevitiably drifted to the online titles. :p

Jump to Post

04.30.2013 2:49am

Zubis
Registered Member

They released new weapons which obliterate any and all weapons that have been previously in the game, including Relic/Empyreans/Mythics. All the hardcore players who spent years trying to get said weapons are wrist cutting on the forums.

I'm not exaggerating, these can be bought on the AH and have double or triple the damage of the former best weapons.

Of course only a FFXI player would think a weapon they got 4 years ago would always stay on top in a MMO.

Jump to Post

04.30.2013 2:52am
Thread Creator

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Oh wow. Thats pathetic. XD

Jump to Post

04.30.2013 3:06am

Areas
Formerly Kenshin

Wow.  I haven't played much in a while because of classes but that's a bit ridiculous.  I've got 5 empyrean weapons that apparently are useless now.  Kinda glad I didn't bother upgrading any to lvl 95+.

Jump to Post

04.30.2013 4:13am

Scribe
The Taru

Those weapons are sexy. But I do feel that SE should continue to evolve or boost the r/m/e weapons because of the large amount of effort it takes to make one.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter