Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Best Era for Final Fantasy

< Prev 1 2 3 ... 5 Next >

What was the best and most enjoyable overall era for Final Fantasy?

Show Poll Results

07.24.2012 1:21am
Thread Creator

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

So I was reading the FF13 versus being canceled thread and I got to thinking...what era of FF games were better versus the others? Yes I am so witty ,  no need to let me know, but I haven't seen our opinions on the eras against each other in years so I'm curious if it's still the same as before where FF7-FF9 I believe was the overall favorite. Curious to see if it's still that way after these games have all had time to age. 

I'm rolling with PS1 era. FF7, FFT, FF8, and FF9 is just too good overall quality to me, even if FF6 was my favorite. FF4 and FF5 are good games but overall I enjoyed the PS1 era more. 

The votes are public so anyone voting PS3/360 era where two games are either canned or completely rehauled due to Square themselves admitting shittyness and issues (versus 13 and 14)  can be tarred and feathered as deemed appropriate.

You can include spinoffs like Dirge of Cerberus (technically a FF game)  in your choice, but because I'm too lazy to think of them and they probably won't impact too many people's choices, I've only listed the most notable spinoffs/sequels/side games.

in my judgement I exluded re-releases, but its up to you on that really... for me FF3 DS is ovbiously basically a brand new game, but to me FFT War of the lions is basically a re release with some extras and a new translation. It's up to you. 

Have at it!

EDIT: Damn I forgot FFS doesn't have a public poll function. ;(

Jump to Post

07.24.2012 1:30am

Kellios
Yikes and away!

PS1 for me. Maybe it's the nostalgia and how I first got into the series, but it's still the best for me (with the glaring exception being FFVI).

Hell, I'm replaying FFT PS1 now and still adore it. But I'm also biased.

Jump to Post

07.24.2012 1:42am

Zubis
Registered Member

I think this might be an age/generational thing? I'm fairly certain most people who started on the SNES will say it was the best era. So will PS1, and even PS2ers.

For me it was the PS1. It was - and still is imo - the greatest generation for RPGs.

Jump to Post

07.24.2012 1:44am

Raphael
Eternal Lurker

For me it's a tie between SNES and PS1, but I voted SNES, probably only because of FF5's job system. And maybe FF6's Ending Theme.

Jump to Post

07.24.2012 1:45am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Easily the SNES era for me, and I started with FF7 which I thought was the greatest thing ever as a stupid teenager.  But FF7 hasn't aged that well, I was never really in love with FF8, and I still love FF9 though its flaws are a lot more glaring now than they were then. Meanwhile my appreciation of 4-6 has actually increased with time.

Jump to Post

07.24.2012 2:01am

Testament
Shamshot

While my favorite FF belongs to the SNES era, I'm rolling with the PS1 era, as well.  Something just feels right about those games.

Jump to Post

07.24.2012 2:12am

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

FF VI may be my favorite in the series but I'm going with PS1 generation.  FF VII, IX, and T are AAA titles to me while VI was the only AAA title on the SNES.  Sure I still enjoy IV but I've played it too many times (which is funny because I've played VI more times but don't tire of it).  Oh, and I grew up with the SNES games so the above statement isn't too true.

Oh Spidey, you forgot Mystic Quest, haha.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

07.24.2012 2:26am

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

It was a tough choice, but I went with the SNES era - FFVI still is my favourite FF game of all time, FFIV was my very first FF and still is an awesome title, and FFV has it's own unique charm (Job system, plus Gilgamesh and my handle's namesake ;)).

The PS1 era may have really brought the series into the mainstream, but the 16-bit era for me will forever be the golden age of not just the FF series itself, but gaming in general.

Jump to Post

07.24.2012 3:03am

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

SNES easily.

FFIV - Best story
FFV - Best main male lead and best level system
FFVI - Best all around

All 3 were A+ games to me.

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

07.24.2012 3:26am

FenixDown
The King's orders are absolute

I voted SNES as well. It was a tough call as the PS1 generation was solid, but I have a harder time going back to those games than I do the SNES ones. I'm even now replaying FFV, which while I think has a fairly weak storyline, is just so charming and fun to play that it makes up for it. Perhaps if I had played the PS1 games more recently I would have voted differently. Maybe.

Let's Play Chrono Trigger
Let's Play The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Let's Play Final Fantasy VI

Jump to Post

07.24.2012 3:32am

Crisium
N/A

PSX era, barely.  Like many others, FFVI is my favourite.  But the VII-IX have worlds that I just fall in love with every time I play.  Sure VIII's ability system is far behind IV and especially FFV with its stellar job system.  But then once I consider that FFT does it just as well (better?) then PSX wins.

PS2?  Hah.  FFX has two sexy things going for it: perhaps the best battle system ever and Rikku.  But the story and design are unsatisfactory compared to earlier games.  Can't comment on the other games because I haven't played them (tried to play X-2 because it has a job system, but no I can't do it).

FFI and FFIII, with their infant job systems, just can't compare to FFV and FFT so NES doesn't stand a chance.

Jump to Post

07.24.2012 3:52am

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

My first instinct is to say SNES, but FFV drags it down for me, and Mystic Quest was nothing special.  When I try to work it out, I come up with PS2.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

07.24.2012 4:11am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

While the games were better in the SNES era the PSone was the best Era for the FF Franchise. A generation before, if you said you liked Final Fantasy people would make fun of you and tell you dude that "s*** sucks, why aren't you playing Sonic or Mortal Kombbat?".

In the PS it was cool to like Final Fantasy and you belonged to a large community as a result. It was also the best time since all the games got localized. In the SNES era we missed out on FFV in favor for the significantly inferior, albiet fun, Mystic Quest. So while fans did get compensated between IV and VI, the lack of V was still a kick in the balls.

Plus the PS era saw an unpgraded relrease of FFI, FFIV, and FFVI and the first offiical english translaton of FFV and FFII. 

Jump to Post

07.24.2012 4:45am

kjonez
with a Z

PS1 era was a great time to be a RPG gamer and the FF series were fantastic during those times, but, the SNES games are the top choice for me. I played the original when I was 10 and really enjoyed teh type of experience it gave. When the SNES games came out in the US it inspired a huge amount of imagination with me. FF6 did this especially with me. The 16 bit era really used storytelling, characters, world,etc to it's potential and absolutely blew me away. 

The PS1 games did a better job gaining atttention for the series, but the SNES games seemed more 'true' to the rpg genre. FF4 made such a huge impact on me that I wrote a short story based off of it for my 4th grade english report......either that or I was just a huge nerd. I think the limitations of the graphics enabled the mind to work more and that's why I really delved deep into the characters, locations and story. 

Jump to Post

07.24.2012 4:47am

Fuuko Sakurada
Momoia =D

Bleh, I'm torn between SNES and PS1 lol voted SNES ...and still hoping for a nice FF6 remake with cool graphics =/

BoA*

Best of Asia * since 2000

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 ... 5 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter