Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Best Era for Final Fantasy

What was the best and most enjoyable overall era for Final Fantasy?

Show Poll Results

07.24.2012 5:28am

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

PS1 era for sure. A lot of people say FF7 doesn't hold up, but I gotta disagree. Yeah, the graphics are awful by today's standards, but the gameplay is still excellent. It's so easy to get sucked back into that game. Same goes for FFT, which is easily one of the most addictive games I've ever played. I always loved 8, though I understand why people might dislike it, and 9 was very good as well, but underdeveloped characters left it as my least favorite of the PSX bunch.

Love the SNES era, and the PS2 era isn't too shabby either. FF10 had some faults but is still a great game, and I think 12 is very underrated and suffers mainly from a weak villain and a sorta-lack of a main character. PS3 era is an abomination.

Jump to Post

07.24.2012 5:42am
Thread Creator

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

FF7 holds up very well for me because it's really fast paced. FF8 and 9 got worse as loading times went away in modern games and I grew less patience for them, but FF7 is still quick and seamless in and out of battles, so to me it's really aged the best out of the three titles.

Jump to Post

07.24.2012 5:55am

Monetary Dragon
Just keep swimming

PSX era, but that's just because of FF7. I have sympathy for those who may chose the SNES era, for FF6 and 4. The only good FF from the NES era was FF1.

Jump to Post

07.24.2012 7:04am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

SNES era. All three FFs in that era are top notch games, especially VI, which is my favorite numbered FF.

PS1 era is in second place, mostly for Tactics and IX. FFVII has not aged well and really is an inferior variation of VI in a lot of ways, and I never did like VIII.

The other eras don't even begin to register, in comparison, and the current era is, of course, the Dark Ages of Squeenix.

Jump to Post

07.25.2012 8:29am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

SNES, but only barely, and I could vote PS1 instead at any moment. Those two eras were really the glory days of SE that may never return.

Jump to Post

07.25.2012 10:11am

Kal
yes

NES :
1 good game (FF1)
2 bad (FF2-3)

SNES :
2 excellent (FF5-6)
1 good (FF4)

PSX : 
3 great (FF7-FF9-tactics)
1 okay (FF8)

PS2 : 
1 great (FFX)
1 eh (FFX2)
1 bad (FFXII)

My vote goes to SNES anyway because I FF5 is probably one of the games I spent most time on and the only FF I replay on a regular basis (because the job system just trumps everything else)

Jump to Post

07.26.2012 2:20am

Crisium
N/A

That's a couple people now who ddn't like FFIII.  I thought it was better than I, and a good introduction to the job system.  What's bad about it?

Jump to Post

07.26.2012 2:35am

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I've never been able to truly enjoy the SNES era games, including FF6, because I just don't enjoy the gameplay.  The PS1 era will always get my vote.

Jump to Post

07.26.2012 2:38am

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

While I did play the first Final Fantasy game long, long ago, I didn't really get into the series until Final Fantasy VII made it's way to the PC.

Since nostalgia comes into play, it'll have to be the PS1 era for me.

Jump to Post

07.26.2012 3:21am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Basically -

NES Era:

1 - Surprisingly decent. Hated it originally, but understanding how a lot of the mechanics work makes me really appreciate it, like learning that party order determines frequency of enemy attacks towards a specific character.
2 - Pure garbage. Ambitious ideas, woeful execution. Later remakes make it somewhat tolerable but still bad.
3 - Interesting for origins of job system. Otherwise, OK I guess.

SNES era:
4 - One of my favorites along with 6. Really enjoyable story and characters as well as actually being somewhat difficult.
5 - The more I play this the more I love it. Sure the story is pretty bad, but I don't care and neither does the game.  JOB SYSTEM
6 - My favorite in the series. Good everything and I really can't think of much of anything this game actually did wrong.
MQ - Not that good, but I do think it has a certain charm to it. Pretty underrated if you ask me as it's not nearly as horrible as I think a lot of people make it out to be.

PS1 era:
7 - As I said, I don't think this game has aged very well and not just with the now horrendous graphics. I'm actually surprised I ever liked playing this game because I can't believe how obnoxious I find the Materia system now, not to mention the terrible minigames and sidequests. The story and characters really lost something too, and the world design is lousy outside of Midgar. Maybe it's because Midgar is still fucking awesome, but the rest of the world vastly pales in comparison.
8 - Never really liked this game, but I didn't hate it either. The leveling and ability growth systems are still completely broken, though. Since this sort of level scaling never showed up again, Square obviously agreed.
9 - Solid game with a fun battle system and ability growth. Just held back by some absolutely killer flaws (ridiculous amounts of lag in battle, TRANCE)
Tactics - Solid SRPG even if it's way overhyped by its rabid fanbase. Also prefer FFV's job system.

PS2 era:
10 - My favorite of the post-SNES games. Pretty linear, but the battle system is very flexible, fast, and fun. Dropping ATB was a genius move. Also liked the story and chaacters. Yes, even Tidus.
10-2 - Shit sucks, even in spite of job system.
12 - This game could've been incredible, but it turned out horrible due to a turbulent development cycle and marketing department interference. If you look up "wasted potential" in the dictionary, you'll find a picture of Final Fantasy XII

Current gen:
13 - WTF.
13-2 - No interest in a direct sequel to a game I thought sucked to begin with.

Didn't include the MMO's because they're different experiences from the single player games.

Jump to Post

07.26.2012 4:56am

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

SNES easily.  Games were the most gamey and I've found myself preferring just getting to the fucking game as I've gotten older.  Also the secrets aren't stupidly opaque like the Sony era games.

I still love FFVII through X-2 but they're bigger timesinks and aren't really conducive to my schedule anymore. 

Jump to Post

07.26.2012 6:41am

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

Voted the PS1 era although I love the SNES games more. Must be because I didn't have an SNES and just played FFIV, V and VI on the PS.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

07.26.2012 10:00am

greenyxi
Let's Player

Mine is easily the PS1 era. FF7-9 are by far my favourite RPGs to date...the only truly great FF otherwise is FF6 and the later half of that is just side-quest-style character gathering. Then there's the PS2 era, where I loved FF10, but nothing else. The less said about the current generation the better :/

So yeah, the PS1 era.

My most recent 3 let's plays:

Zelda: Oracle of Seasons - Link (Din, Onox, Maku...I'm so funny)
Killer7 (Completed) - Link
Luigi's Mansion (Completed!) - Link
My main youtube page: Link

Jump to Post

07.26.2012 10:20am

Kal
yes

Crusader said:

SNES easily.  Games were the most gamey and I've found myself preferring just getting to the fucking game as I've gotten older.  Also the secrets aren't stupidly opaque like the Sony era games. 
That's one thing I love about the SNES games, most, if not all, of the secret dungeons/weapons/quests are actually possible to find without a guide.
Also, yeah, fast paced games. I love FF9's atmosphere and story and characters, but it's nigh unreplayable because the battles are just so friggin slow. If you play FF5 or 6 then 9, it's pretty scary.

Jump to Post

07.26.2012 11:33am

Som
Genitals are Funny

PS1 era for me. VII was my first, therefore my fav. Love IX and even though VIII is my most hated FF, there are parts of it that i love.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter