Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

FFVII PS4 Remake

< Prev 1 ... 15 16 17 18 Next >

04.22.2020 12:49am

resare
Exceptional narcissist

Enkidoh said:

Re: the map 'discoveries', those are rather like sidequests that aren't sidequests - they're meant to be things you look for by going around and exploring every nook and cranny (and most, if not all, maps have them). In fact, if you missed it the first time you can use Chapter Selection upon finishing the game to go back and redo that chapter again and complete it with your levels, exp and items intact. Certain items, gear and materia can only be found this way.
Yes, I understand what they are, but the mechanic of them being either highlighted on the map or commented on by your party members never happens again in any subsequent dungeon. In fact, there are no real side areas on the same scale as where you get the summon materia in the sunlamp area. It just seems a weird thing that there's a lot of involvement in that particular area, but then fuck all elsewhere.
Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
I can see Roche returning in every part, similar to the Turks.

Jump to Post

04.22.2020 10:45am

The Hulk
Good Boy

tbh I thought the music was the one thing they couldn't possibly fuck up and they...kinda did?  The play themes for areas that don't fit a lot, make little changes here and there which never seem to be any improvement at all and literally none of the new stuff is worth even the smallest of fucks.

Jump to Post

04.22.2020 9:49pm

resare
Exceptional narcissist

The best track of the game is the one that plays when you fight Rufus imo

Jump to Post

04.26.2020 8:02am
 (Edited on 04.26.2020 at 8:32am)

Areas
Formerly Kenshin

I loved this game.

I love that this game seems to be a sequel and a remake at the same time.  This ensures that the PS1 version isn't being replaced while giving us something new.  This obviously won't mean much if they can't stick the landing because it won't be easy. 

Go back and replay the game and pay attention to everything being said by Sephiroth with the assumption that this Sephiroth is from Advent Children (the music that plays right after he dissappears the first time you meet him is a track from AC, not OG FF7).  He already knows he fails and something needs to change.  This is why the Whispers are around.  Something isn't right from the start (Aerith immediately senses him in the opening cutscene, as the One Winged Angel remix is playing).   He starts making changes right from the start (he stops Cloud, potentially trying to keep him from meeting Aerith, which is why Whispers show up to keep her around and ensure they meet).  Some other interesting tidbits that point towards Advent Children is that the three Whispers you fight at the end have the same weapons and moves as Kadaj, Loz, and Yazoo (they even merge into a form of Bahamut, which they summon in AC) and the big "Harbinger of Fate" can also be a reference to Sephiroth, since Vincent calls him "the calamities Dark Harbinger."  There's much more but this would turn into a thesis.  Here's a video that explains it better than I could:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfgw7iDZ-bo

It's long, but it's really exciting IMO.  I can't wait to see what happens next.

Jump to Post

04.26.2020 4:22pm
 (Edited on 04.26.2020 at 4:37pm)

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

Yeah there is a lot of speculation that this timeline's Aeris somehow knows about the original timeline and that she is fated to eventually die at Sephiroth's hands (hence why she basically thrusts the fated flower into Cloud's hands in their first encounter and doesn't even charge him for it, because he was pretty much walking past her and trying to ignore her, so she was trying to keep things playing out how they were meant to (then of course the Whispers show up after the event). It also explains her outright telling Cloud to not fall in love with her, she's trying to spare him the inevitable grief of losing her that of course turns him into a guilt-stricken emo and makes up a big part of AC.

But with the original version of events effectively erased now and replaced by a blank slate, anything is possible. I strongly believe she ends up surviving, and that because of that Holy loses a lot of it's cohesion and thus Meteorfall is ultimately more destructive than it originally was (case in point: the flashforward in the VR auditorium shows the Shinra Building collapsing completely during Meteor, where as it remained mostly intact but just badly damaged originally and still remained '500 years later'.) - because killing Aeris actually helped cement his downfall because of it (not to mention made Cloud more determined to defeat him). The moment he impaled her on Masamune he sealed his fate.

Thus keeping Aeris alive to the end means Holy isn't as powerful without her spirit within the Lifestream to direct it and by extension, the Planet to defend itself, thus, either way, Sephiroth gets what he wants (this would explain why he didn't just go even further back and kill her and Ifalna when they were still in Shinra custody). But, Nomura and co may also just as easily decide to have her die still elsewhere unexpectedly, so I'm kind of dreading how things will turn out, just as much as I am excited about the new story direction.

And then there is the little matter of Mr Fair being alive now as well - that alone is going to throw a few spanners in the proverbial works once he makes his spiky face known to AVALANCHE (none the less because it will shatter Cloud's fake 'ex SOLDIER' persona immediately having the person he based his alter ego on standing there). ;)

resare said:

The best track of the game is the one that plays when you fight Rufus imo

I agree, that is an awesome track (that and the battle itself was far better handled than Rufus simply taking potshots with a shotgun in the original).

The theme for the battle against the Ghoul in the Train Graveyard (and the Leviathan summon battle) is another favourite of mine. :D

Jump to Post

04.29.2020 6:16am

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

I just finished it tonight, and I'll tell you what. I loved It. The last couple chapters really brought it home for me. There is a lot of joy in my heart after seeing the credits. They really knocked it out of the park. GotY right here, guys. They finally got the battle system right, and I loved seeing the friendships blossom first hand. Spent 46 hours, and I think I might do it again. Do whatever you can to play this. Even though it's not a beat by beat retelling, they put a lot of love and care into this. I'm so excited for the next game in the series. I can't even tell you.

Jump to Post

04.29.2020 5:19pm

Fun
YES! WE! ARE!

lmao I did it, pretty proud of this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIRQzlinrLI

Jump to Post

04.30.2020 1:39pm

resare
Exceptional narcissist

Hard mode is kicking my ass. I can't wrap my head around how I should slot my materia, which is fine considering in normal I ran with the same setup for 95% of the game so it's good to see it getting some actual thought.

Jump to Post

04.30.2020 8:26pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Yeah I have to admit some bosses on Hard Mode made my hands ache. 

Prayer, Elemental Materia, HP/MP, Steadfast Blocking are some of the key ones I use.

Jump to Post

05.02.2020 12:53pm

Fun
YES! WE! ARE!

Parry is amazing for building the stagger gauge, too.

But it's still posible to stumble your way through hard mode. After Hell House everything kinda settles down. I still have no idea what any of Aerith's abilities do! What "certain attack" instantly staggers Rufus??

Jump to Post

05.15.2020 11:20pm

Magnus
Registered Member

BAH GAWD ALMIGHTY!!!

Jump to Post

06.20.2020 3:31pm

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

I think hard mode is definetely meant to be done after completing the game and maxing out EXP to level cap (50) for everyone, such as getting the higher level manuscripts for stats/weapons, as it's the only way you can really stand a chance.

Makes me wonder then when Ep II is eventually released, will that mean a reset back to a default level when transferring Ep I save data forward? Or do they invision utlimately going beyond level 99 when reaching the equivelant of the Northern Crater sometime in the future?

Jump to Post

06.20.2020 5:47pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Hard Mode becomes a lot more manageable if you complete the Shinra Combat Simulator (go to Chapter 17 in Chapter Select) and

get the accessory that starts one character with a full Limit bar. Of course, that's easier said than done, as one particular battle in the final SCS challenge is a real bitch to beat. Probably took me about 30 to 40 tries, but it was worth it.

Jump to Post

06.20.2020 7:58pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

There won't be any save data transfer IMO. The game will be on another console for one, plus there are no meaningful decisions that are needed. You'll just start off with default weapons equipped and maybe start at level 10 or something.

Jump to Post

06.30.2020 2:00pm

Lord Golbez
Registered Member

This is probably true, but also annoying.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 15 16 17 18 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter