Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Final Fantasy 16.

06.14.2023 3:02pm

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Going to finally try the Demo Friday. Very hyped listenting to people talk about how good the game is. 

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

06.18.2023 2:27am

hkr
Too queer to get out of bed

Looks like there will be a small day one patch (or likely a few days previous) and some planning on fixing things I had issues with in the demo (Motion blur, controller remapping)

I liked the demo. I want to play more. Next week hurry up.

Jump to Post

06.23.2023 4:03pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

It doesn?t look anything at all like anything I would recognize as ?Final Fantasy?. If you all want to play Devil May Cry with Chocobos, be my guests.

Jump to Post

06.27.2023 9:04pm

hkr
Too queer to get out of bed

The game is incredibly final fantasy, and you're doing yourself a disservice not playing it because you think it's Devil May Cry with Chocobos.

Jump to Post

06.28.2023 8:40pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

The series developers left me behind over a decade ago. I had already written the franchise off as clinically dead, years ago. But my biggest fear upon seeing FFXVI is that they have gone SOOO far down the action road here, that not even Dragon Quest is safe. They can now make DQ12 equally action-RPG-like to FFXII. Then the turn based RPG will be truly dead.

This has never been about art or design, either. These changes were made for purely commercial reasons.

Jump to Post

07.01.2023 11:10am
 (Edited on 07.01.2023 at 11:22am)

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Strangely enough it's actually the closest to what a traditional Final Fantasy game looks like in terms of settings since the NES days.

It looks good. I actually have the game but not plans to play it since I don't have a PS5 (nor do I plan on getting one). 

Atma Weapon said:

The series developers left me behind over a decade ago. I had already written the franchise off as clinically dead, years ago. But my biggest fear upon seeing FFXVI is that they have gone SOOO far down the action road here, that not even Dragon Quest is safe. They can now make DQ12 equally action-RPG-like to FFXII. Then the turn based RPG will be truly dead.

This has never been about art or design, either. These changes were made for purely commercial reasons.

I think the Turn Based RPG especially in the flagship AAA RPG franchies like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest need to die anyways. It's a relic in the past and there are still some games that are being developed that are still turn based (South Park, Octopath Traveller) in the market just not AAA.That's fine the genre needed to evolve but there's still enough games to feed into nostalgia. 

Having said that I do hope Square-Enix can incorporate better party based action-RPGs in the future. Final Fantasy VII Remake is actually a good start though an improvement in mechanics and AI would be beneficial. 

Jump to Post

07.02.2023 3:04am
 (Edited on 07.02.2023 at 3:12am)

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

Is it possible to have party-based and action based at the same time on a console as a single player? Final Fantasy XII pretended to try but in retrospect it was just a way station in a case that of corporate change management.

I crave the party-based tactical combat and I would like to have at least one top-level franchise that still implements it. I?m okay with that being Dragon Quest. I gave up on Final Fantasy a long time ago. But I?m concerned that FFXVI goes so far down the continuum that DQ12 can go to FFXIII territory where you only control one character. When that happens I will lose something that makes me really happy. Turn based combat with a party is a special experience where you get to control things and the whole thing feels both tense and tactical at the same time. I love that.

Jump to Post

07.02.2023 9:02am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Atma Weapon said:

Is it possible to have party-based and action based at the same time on a console as a single player? Final Fantasy XII pretended to try but in retrospect it was just a way station in a case that of corporate change management.

I crave the party-based tactical combat and I would like to have at least one top-level franchise that still implements it. I?m okay with that being Dragon Quest. I gave up on Final Fantasy a long time ago. But I?m concerned that FFXVI goes so far down the continuum that DQ12 can go to FFXIII territory where you only control one character. When that happens I will lose something that makes me really happy. Turn based combat with a party is a special experience where you get to control things and the whole thing feels both tense and tactical at the same time. I love that.

FFVII remake I think is good Proof of Concept. There are a lot of issues with FFVII's combat system (i.e. AI, Event based battles etc) but there is something there if Square-Enix can improve upon it more.  

I may have a bit brash thinking AAA Turn-based RPGs are done since Baludr's Gate 3 is turn based. Funny enough I remember the combat gameplay of Baludr's Gate 3 being revealed the same time as FFVII Remake. Both were quite negative. 

Baldur's Gate fans were upset at the Turn Based Combat  with Baldur's Gate 3 while FF fans were upset the combat going action in FF7.

That said the mainline Final Fantasy games probably need to go in this action route to stay relevant. I was watching this video and showed someone who had no interest in Final Fantasy in the past, and is more into Call of Duty, but is excited for Final Fantasy XVI mostly because of the change in combat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtvTP8GckgM&t

Jump to Post

07.03.2023 11:40pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

So shooter, is your take that Dragon Quest will ?have to go action to remain relevant??

Jump to Post

07.04.2023 10:02pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Atma Weapon said:

So shooter, is your take that Dragon Quest will ?have to go action to remain relevant??

I guess the question is if Dragon Quest is a AAA title. Some might consider it to be but other would argue it's a tier short of that. I guess even it's debateable, Dragon Quest is a franchise that sticks to it the RPG audience while Final Fantasy has always set its sights towards a broader appeal. So to stay relevant in that audience, it would need to do away with Turn Based battles as what Square Enix has been doing with the main line games since FFXII anyways.

Jump to Post

07.05.2023 2:26am

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I wouldn?t call DQ a ?AAA franchise?. It?s primarily made for the Japanese market then it?s exported to people abroad who still care about that kind of game.

Jump to Post

09.15.2023 6:39am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Bought it after falling for the demo, thinking there would be more than what was presented on the demo, but I quickly realized that it was not even pretending to be something I would like, endless button mashing, endless quick time events, and fights that go from button mashing to cinematics, oooh, aaah, not.
No classes, no magic, ?mature? story because of swearing, and sex, meh.
Even if it wouldn?t have hurt my eyes as it did with all those lights and flashes, I would have not continued playing it for longer than I did.
Anyways, hi guys!

Jump to Post

09.18.2023 2:20am

The Hulk
Good Boy

Hi Mav!  I was kind of tempted by the demo too but I chose to resist, and think I made the right call.  Final Fantasy just isn't really for me these days, I haven't truly enjoyed it since X.

Jump to Post

09.26.2023 2:20pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I fully agree. FFXIV Online aside, FFX was the last good game in the series. ?Modernization? was just long term decline.

Jump to Post

11.16.2023 1:05am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

The more I think on this game, the more I realize just how ass-backwards it is.

It's trend-chasing when the series has typically been trend-setting. The combat is like if Devil May Cry never developed beyond 2.

Lack of party mechanics in a series that, for how much it has changed has always had that as a constant, is dismaying.

Lack of basic RPG elements like itemization beyond mere stat increses, elemental weaknesses, status effects, etc., makes the whole thing shockingly shallow.

Exploration is meaningless, as in the game gives you no incentive to go off the beaten path. The sidequests are all the worst sort of MMO-style fetch and talk-to checklist quests.

And prettty much everyone other than Clive and Cid is treated as disposable in the story. A real shame. Don't even get me started on how dirty they did Jill.

About the only kind thing I can say about this game, other than its admittedly great OST, is that it's better than XIII and XV. A bar so low it's underground.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter