Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Kitase puts the nail in the FF7 remake coffin.

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

11.30.2011 9:36pm
Thread Creator (Edited on 11.30.2011 at 9:43pm)

Zubis
Registered Member

The most depressing thing about this interview is that it suggests that we've seen the end of large open worlds in Square-Enix RPGs.

https://www.oxm.co.uk/36521/interviews/final-fantasy-xiii-2-remaking-ff7-kinect-rpgs-and-killing-the-girly-feel/?page=2

Would you ever remake some of the earlier games in the series simply because you like the setting?

In the transition between XIII to XIII-2, it was quite easy because obviously we kept all the data and the engine - we had just finished using them so it was almost like they hadn't gone cold. The technology was already warm and ready to use, so it was quite good. Also within the team, we still had a feel for the game, it was still new to us, still lingering with us, so we were ready to move on to the sequel.

But if we were to take one of the past Final Fantasy titles and make a sequel to it, I think that would be a lot more challenging because when they were on PlayStation and PlayStation 2 their actual game volume was a lot bigger, kind of. Graphically they weren't as advanced as they are now, but there were lots of towns and worlds and cities and whatever. So if we were to recreate the same kind of game - sequel or not - with the same volume, but give it a much higher level of graphical quality, it would us take three times, four times, even ten times longer to make such a game. So making a sequel for an old game would be a lot more challenging.

We have experimented - Advent Children is a film sequel to Final Fantasy VII, if you like - and we know that the hundreds of fans would like to see a hi-def version of Final Fantasy VII. But if we were to achieve the modern graphical quality at the same time putting in exactly the same world and everything, I think it would take ten times longer as compared to the time we took to produce XIII, for example.

Jump to Post

11.30.2011 10:06pm

Testament
Shamshot

It wouldn't take 10 times as long if you worked 10 times as fast...

Laziness.

Jump to Post

11.30.2011 10:27pm

Rinoa
Night Star
Administrator

It's not so much laziness, but top level mismanagement of resources and talent. They can't even make proper FF games on time nowadays, how could they even do a remake?

Rinoa.Nu

Jump to Post

12.01.2011 1:08am

Lexx
Terran Angel

I like how he out and out says that graphics>content.

Jump to Post

12.01.2011 1:28am

Crisium
N/A

That explains why much of FFXIII was the same repeating corridor over and over again.  Every area in FFVII was pre-rendered to be perfectly unique, and no two things are alike.  So they are saying this is not possible with modern graphics because it is too hard?

Then give me "inferior" graphics.  Although they have a very low resolution, the backgrounds in the PSX games (more 8 and 9, but some 7) make them still some of the most beautiful games to this day.

XIII is technically astonishing to first behold (especially the characters) but once you see the repeating backgrounds it really loses a lot.

Jump to Post

12.01.2011 2:37am

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

Yeah... I'd take a VII remake at the PS2 quailty level of graphics.  Hell, just do a PSP/Vita remake.  I know a lot wouldn't like that but I'd be fine.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

12.01.2011 3:18am

Magnus
Registered Member

Funny he says that yet they made two actual remakes of FFIV.

Jump to Post

12.01.2011 4:31am

Crux
A mental Dentist's office

Lexx said:

That's what I was going to say. heh heh

Jump to Post

12.01.2011 6:25pm

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

Crono said:

Yeah... I'd take a VII remake at the PS2 quailty level of graphics.  Hell, just do a PSP/Vita remake.  I know a lot wouldn't like that but I'd be fine.

And that way they might actually sell some Vitas.

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

12.01.2011 6:38pm

Sam Biscuits
Custard Creams

Lexx said:

Crono said:

Yup I agree with this.  Why does better graphics mean a better game?  As Rinoa said Square can't make good Hi-Res FF's anyway.  Go back to pre-rendered graphics I say, as FF's are crap without World Maps.  I mean the last good FF was X released 10 years ago for God's sake!  Not sure how Square are still in business.

Jump to Post

12.01.2011 7:24pm

Murasame
HALE YEAH

BUT THE BACKGROUNDS WERE STATIC.

WHAT.

Jump to Post

12.01.2011 11:11pm

Scribe
The Taru

I said it when X was released and I'll say it again... bring back pre-rendered backgrounds please.

Jump to Post

02.09.2012 12:46am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

The more likely scenario is that the creators of FF13 have no idea how a good game like FF7 was created, so it baffles them just playing it. I can understand that they don't understand concepts like a fun battle system or characters that you don't want to shoot in the face.

Jump to Post

02.09.2012 2:43am

Fuuko Sakurada
Momoia =D

But ...but he said it would just be more challenging and would take 10 times longer ...that doesn't mean that they won't do it ...right?

BoA*

Best of Asia * since 2000

Jump to Post

02.09.2012 3:36am

kjonez
with a Z

Zubis said:We have experimented - Advent Children is a film sequel to Final Fantasy VII, if you like - and we know that the hundreds of fans would like to see a hi-def version of Final Fantasy VII.

lawl

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter