Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

New Final Fantasy teaser site.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 Next >

01.19.2013 8:09pm

Crux
A mental Dentist's office

And now it's falling quickly down the list...

This reminds me of SEX's facebook game, but at least that was "free to play".

Jump to Post

01.19.2013 9:11pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

Free Spirit said:

Amazing.  This game has become the most universally and openly despised thing SE has ever done, and it's done so in record time, and yet the masses are still buying it? I don't know what to be depressed about more - the state of FF or the state of humanity.
I think it's that the general public impluse buys so much shit on phones that they don't even take time to say "hey, are there any reviews on this?".  That and people be dumb. 

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

01.19.2013 9:21pm

Zubis
Registered Member

And that's how SE makes money. It hit #25 in paid iPhone apps this week, but now it's dropped to #41, so word of mouth and reviews has had an effect at least. Unfortunately the difference between phone apps and traditional game sales is that phone apps have a longer lifespan. Even though FF3 was released on iPhone/Android more than 6 months ago, it's still selling 100K+ copies a month.

Meaning SE are making a few million a month from their older titles/ports.

Jump to Post

01.19.2013 9:40pm

Thirdtwin
It's you guys' fault

Aw now I feel like a slowpoke.  I saw this, a 20 minute rundown of exactly what the game entails, yesterday.  I was going to link it but I went to bed and now I guess the beat has been dropped.  You basically move from point to point, tap on your screen a bunch of times, and maybe you'll get an extra class or like, a weapon drop from an enemy or something.  No apparent micromanagement, no class optimization (hell, your party is randomly generated every battle, although I guess you get different classes at random and there does seem to be some variability in effectiveness between characters), no... anything.  Never mind the random microtransaction for named characters thing.  This is just... *sigh*

TT

Jump to Post

01.20.2013 12:26am

Jiro
Registered Member

Not being able to construct your own party is really the point at which it stops becoming a game and is just a button pressing simulator. How did they think that was a good idea?

Jump to Post

01.20.2013 2:24am

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

Honestly, this game could have worked. It didn't have to be a soulless abortion of a game.

Having a 40-person party that is randomly generated isn't *that* bad.  The random drops increase attack power of specific classes universally, so for example,  by grinding specific monsters to get gear that increases your Knight's attack power you can make it so that any randomly generated Knights will be better.  By getting lots of specific gear you can make your party more effective than just grinding for levels alone would.  It's only a small amount of strategy, but it's something, and honestly, for an app game it would be enough.  It's about managing the variables in the RNG.  It's literally like making a game out of a slot machine.  You have equipment that makes, say, a bar-bar-bar payout greater, or perhaps equipment that makes it more likely to get a bar-bar-bar to begin with.  It ain't beautiful, but it would at least have been acceptable.

Paying for premium characters isn't that horrible, either.  We've been doing it with casual games forever. We did it in FFXIII-2 with the DLC coliseum battles and DLC equipment.  The problem is that ALL premium characters you have to buy, and you can't pick which ones you get.  There should have been at least, like, 10 premium characters that could simply be unlocked by playing the game and doing in-game things. Like, say, Cloud, Bartz, Terra, Lightning, etc. All the main heroes are in there for you to find.  Getting side-heroes like Auron, Locke, Krile, etc. would cost you money.  But you would always be able to actually pick which one you get.  This would have been acceptable as well.

Even if that was all there was to the game, it would have been fine. I mean, Airbone Brigade isn't much more than that, is it?  But no, they made you pay for random premium characters and, here's where I stop playing, they force you to not play when you lose (unless you pay to keep playing).  What the fuck is this?  This is the killer for me.  I don't care if I have to wait even 1 minute to play when I die, it's unacceptable. I mean, the very definition of a casual game is "pick up and play".  So when you make a game who's very definition is "can't pick up and play" you are wrong.  This game is wrong.  SE is wrong for making it.

This hurts me because the idea of this game - bringing your own custom-built party of assorted heroes up against a massive gauntlet of enemies and bosses from across the FF series in an ATB-styled boss rush coliseum game -  is my dream game. I wanted this to exist.  The aborted Coliseum thing I suggested and that me and Supersquall and Stecloud were working on was a stab at something like this.  SE took my dream and turned it into an unplayable nightmare.  Fuck you Square Enix.

Jump to Post

01.20.2013 6:21am

Old Juan
filled with hate

Agreed. Some of the concepts of the game are really good ideas just executed poorly. But SE doesn't care about quality anymore.

Jump to Post

01.21.2013 2:33pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Reviews have been brutal ... IGN liked the idea but bashed the game describing the whole monetary setup as greedy/

Jump to Post

01.21.2013 3:11pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

STILL really freaking lame.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter