Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

So FFXIII-3 is about to be announced.

08.23.2012 1:31pm

Kal
yes

But didn't FFXII sell like several million copies ? 
It makes sense from a financial standpoint, if not from an..erm...artistic one.

Jump to Post

08.23.2012 1:48pm

Fifan
The guy with the girly avatar

But FFXII isn't the one who made the (biggest) offense.

Look at it this way, FFVI and FFVII were the games that put Final Fantasy on the map for 'our' generation. And are, from a PR point of view, the highpoint of Square. When FFVIII and FFIX followed, you could argue, that while not as popular as their predecessors, they were still very good games. 

Then came FFX, the first in an entirely new generation. For the first time we got actual voices, of course the graphics were a big step up and the fightsystem was one of the game's biggest pillars. 

But FFX marked the beginning a big gap in the Final Fantasy franchise, cause FFXI was a MMORPG. While succesfull in it's own right, FFXI deviated from the normal formula and many fans were now setting up for their next big single-player RPG with FFXII.

And that is where it went wrong. FFXII was released and while being a financial success, it just couldn't hold up. I don't have to explain about all the drama that went on at that time at Square Enix. And the fallout that followed seems to explain the complete and utter rut SE is in now.

FFXIII was a complete disaster, as was FFXIV Online (IMHO). And so far it seems as like nobody wants to talk about FFXIII-2. 

Jump to Post

08.23.2012 1:58pm

Kal
yes

Oops I meant FFXIII. I meant didn't FFXIII sell a lot ?

Jump to Post

08.23.2012 2:13pm

Fifan

FFXIII did okay financially, but rather dramatically compared to the sales of earlier installments. 

To compare, FFX-2 has sold more units in nine months in the US than FFXIII did in the same time.

Jump to Post

08.23.2012 11:18pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I don't think you can look at numbers and see the decline they had. When FF7 was out, Square had like some obscene market share  of RPGs sold.  Now it has almost nothing.  The numbers will be inflated by the huge number of people who play video games now versus how few people played video games in 1997. They probably also spent millions on FF13 as well, and probably didn't spend as much developing a game like FF8. Basically the amount of people who buy their games now versus those who buy games from their competitors, compared to how much they SPEND on the games compared to their competitors, is probably the best measure you can make of whether they declined or not. I dont have any figures but it doesn't take a genius to figure out something like Mass Effect is way more well received than FF13, where it used to be that when Square put an RPG on the market it ate the entire market for awhile.

Jump to Post

08.24.2012 4:23pm

Rinoa
Night Star
Administrator

Fifan said:

FFXIII was a complete disaster, as was FFXIV Online (IMHO).

I don't know why the "IMHO" was necessary lol...

Rinoa.Nu

Jump to Post

08.24.2012 4:31pm

Fifan

I didn't want to offend anyone who might disagree with me. :P

Jump to Post

08.24.2012 6:31pm
Thread Creator

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Fifan said:

I didn't want to offend anyone who might disagree with me. :P

No everyone agrees. FFXIV was a shitpile even Square themselves. 

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

08.24.2012 9:01pm

Rinoa
Night Star
Administrator

If someone is offended by that, I wonder how they survive real life.

And apparently FF14 is being recalled from stores? Not that I know any store actually selling it.

Jump to Post

08.24.2012 9:02pm

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

Has Square done anything in the past five years that weren't FFXIII or FFXIV games? 

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

08.24.2012 9:04pm

Fifan

Rinoa said:And apparently FF14 is being recalled from stores? Not that I know any store actually selling it.

From what I've gathered Japanse customers returned their copies of FF14 because of the dismal state of the game when it was released.

Jump to Post

08.24.2012 9:16pm

kjonez
with a Z

It's mostly due to the fact that version 1.0 is coming to an end and 2.0 will be going alpha/beta soon. And yes it was a huge dissapointment at release but is in a much better direction now after getting rid of Tanaka and replacing him with Yoshida.

Jump to Post

08.24.2012 10:30pm

Zubis
Registered Member

Kinda sad that rightly or wrongly as soon as Tanaka left 14 and went back to 11, 14 greatly improved and 11 almost immediately began to tank again. It's unfair to blame one man, but.

Jump to Post

08.24.2012 10:34pm

Testament
Shamshot

Even though I still play FFs, and for the most part enjoy them... long gone are the days of announcement excitement.

Jump to Post

08.25.2012 2:17am

ManjiSanji
Insanity Mongoose

Testament said:

Even though I still play FFs, and for the most part enjoy them... long gone are the days of announcement excitement.

I agree.  I used to love to hear about new Final Fantasy games coming out.  Now I just laugh at all the news I hear.  It's become a joke.

I really, really want them to produce something I like.  I really do.  But nothing has been worth even picking up for quite some time.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter