Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Spinoffs, sequels, and prequels

< Prev 1 2 Next >

02.16.2013 2:38am
Thread Creator

Lionheart
FNG

Call me unreasonable but I kinda feel that each of the FF games should be stand-alone games. I was never a fan of the compilation of FF7. Seemed like nothing more than a fan service. The story of FF7 didn't need to be expanded upon. And don't get me started on FFX-2. Thoughts?

Jump to Post

02.16.2013 4:57am

Amer
pew pew pew

FFX-2 was mostly a waste, besides the battle system. 

Dirge of Cerberus probably should have never been made. 

I haven't played is, but I heard FFXII Revenant Wings was good. 

Now Crisis Core....That game added something. I won't say it was the best thing ever, but I really enjoyed it and thought it added to FFVII. 

Jump to Post

02.16.2013 5:09am

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

Crisis Core was a lot of fun, but the story was pretty pants. It would've been cool if it were just Zach, Cloud, and Sephiroth in Shinra, but they had to go and complicate it with Angeal and Genesis, two uber-characters who (of course) you've never heard of in FF7. But the gameplay was great; it's far and away the best of the Compilation of FF7.

What I played of FF12 Revenant Wings was fun. I never got past the fight on the outside of the airship. Someday after I replay 12 (such an underrated game), I'll tackle Revenant Wings again.

FFX-2: my friends and I were so excited about this game that we bought it the day it came out and immediately put it in to play it. We lasted 10 minutes before swapping it out for LotR: Return of the King. Never bothered trying X-2 again.

Jump to Post

02.16.2013 5:38am

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

I never cared much for FFVII's ending, so I had no problem with Advent Children updating it, and I enjoyed FFX-2 and Dirge of Cerberus on their own terms.  Haven't played the others.  None of it was strictly needed, but it's not something I've ever been that concerned about, either.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

02.16.2013 5:42am

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

I thought that the spinoffs were alright, but there are just so many of them that they're not all that fun anymore. This is actually a really good topic. If Dh posts my article, I'll rate the spinoffs and such next. Anyway, I thought that Advent Children was good, and I liked seeing what ended up happening to the characters. I just didn't like how they completely changed Cloud's character. The other games in that didn't really have to be made... I played a little of X-2, it's just that it was so embarrassing to play that I didn't get too much into it. Still, what little I did play of it was more enjoyable than the entirety of X. Such a mediocre game.

Jump to Post

02.16.2013 9:55am

Shadow
Comes and goes like the wind...

(it actually wasn't that bad back in the day)

Jump to Post

02.16.2013 10:29am

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

I actually liked Chocobo Racing, as creaky as the graphics were (the backgrounds would tear badly), plus the AI and abilities were unbalanced as hell (Megaflare was especially cheap).

It was still fun though (plus at the time it was released it gave players a sneak peak at FFVIII - Deling City was a hidden track and Squall a hidden racer), plus the extra bonus cameo racers were good for a laugh (Cloud/Aya Brea's NYPD squad car from Parasite Eve/Invincible from FFIII, Bartz riding Boko from FFV/Cactaur etc).

White Mage was my favourite character though, of course. ;)

I still have my copy in actual fact - I should fire it up for old time's sake. :D

Jump to Post

02.21.2013 9:56pm
 (Edited on 02.21.2013 at 10:01pm)

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I have nothing against the concept of spinoffs and sequels. As long as they are good games that's fine by me. I liked FFX-2, FF12 Revenant Wings,  and Crisis Core. Notice these are real rpgs, with a full cast, developed characters, complete storyline, battle systems. I dont like dirge of cerberus, cellphone crap, and such, because they are no fun to play and/or have shitty storylines.

The problem with the compilation of FF7, a CONSOLE ROLE PLAYING GAME, is that only ONE of the spinoffs in the compilation were also ROLE PLAYING GAME.  One of them wasn't even a freakin video game, another was  some poor hybrid shooter/rpg, another was a bullshit cell phone game, and I can't even remember what the others were.

Now, if the compilation of FF7 was 5 games, each starring a different FF7 character, in a turn based RPGs where you learn more about what they did after the events of FF7, I think they would be received a lot better.

Jump to Post

02.21.2013 10:12pm

Zubis
Registered Member

Where do you draw the line though? Cloud and Aerith in Final Fantasy Tactics comes to mind, as do Kingdom Hearts and Dissidia.

Jump to Post

02.22.2013 12:22am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Crisis Core and Revenant Wings are great games, yeah, they aren't "full" games, they are short and skimpy here and there, but they are fun.
I agree that X-2 was good only for the battle system, the story really din't help the story of X, it rather cheapened it, which I always though it to be a very odd move.
I couldn't stand Dirge of Cerberus, I hated something, I think it was the camera.
As for the new ones spawning from XIII, if they are sequels, I wouldn't know, I hated XIII so naturally, I won't touch anything that it has to do with it.

Jump to Post

02.22.2013 4:18am

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

Spin-offs are okay. Direct sequels, not so much.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

02.23.2013 3:24pm

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

Mavilu said:
I agree that X-2 was good only for the battle system, the story really din't help the story of X, it rather cheapened it, which I always though it to be a very odd move.

I've heard a lot of people say the same thing Mavs, but personally, I found X-2's battle system to be a slow, 'hix X ad nasum'  affair which bored me to tears. Even the application of the Job system came across as yawnworthy  (changing Jobs was so damn slow, making battles drag on even more).

Really, the whole game is atrocious, but then, seeing as I hated FFX too I wasn't expecting that much for it's sequel. :p

Jump to Post

02.23.2013 3:43pm

Sanna
What a Tedious fight!

Indiana Jerico said:

Spin-offs are okay. Direct sequels, not so much.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Agreed! Aside from the battle system, X-2 pretty much sucked. I think that's the only direct sequel I've played, though. 

Jump to Post

02.23.2013 5:25pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

^FF XIII-2 was the best direct sequel imho. I liked that game better than the original.

Jump to Post

02.23.2013 11:20pm

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Enkidoh said:

I've heard a lot of people say the same thing Mavs, but personally, I found X-2's battle system to be a slow, 'hix X ad nasum' affair which bored me to tears. Even the application of the Job system came across as yawnworthy (changing Jobs was so damn slow, making battles drag on even more).

Really, the whole game is atrocious, but then, seeing as I hated FFX too I wasn't expecting that much for it's sequel. :p

You know, I'm curious now to see what is that you didn't like, but to be honest, I always felt that using the guide to play the game is a must and the idea of having to pause and check the guide every fifteen minutes keeps me from re-playing it, another thing I hate about the game.
I think I remember that the job changing was slow but only if you kept the full animations, if you turn them off, they are fairly fast...but don't take my word on it, after all, I'm probably one of the few people not mayorly annoyed at the slow speed of IX's battles.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter