Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Spinoffs, sequels, and prequels

< Prev 1 2 Next >

02.24.2013 1:18pm

OrionHardy
Otherworld

Yeah, I never found the switching jobs to be slow in X-2. Turn off the animations and it's almost instanous.

Great men aren't everywhere, just where it counts.

If you ever see me online playing Halo, join me please.

Jump to Post

02.25.2013 7:13pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Felt fast for me too, and I'm real picky about these things. I must be one of the few here who full out enjoyed every aspect of X-2, even enjoyed the story. I think the only thing I didn't like was Blitzball.

Didn't a lot of you like Dissidia? The thread on FFO had like a billion pages. I'm certain most of you loved it.

Jump to Post

02.25.2013 8:08pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

^Hell yeah! Duodecim was my favorite spinoff. It's the best brawler next to Super Smash Bros. They really should make a console sequel. I plan on posting about it on my blog at pixlbit when I get around to it.

Jump to Post

02.25.2013 8:44pm

FenixDown
The King's orders are absolute

I love Dissidia. And Theatrhythm's turned out to be pretty fun and addicting as well. The direct FFInsertnumberhere-2's and 3's can stop being a trend any time now, though.

Let's Play Chrono Trigger
Let's Play The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Let's Play Final Fantasy VI

Jump to Post

02.25.2013 9:41pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

I mean, I don't mind spinoff and sequels on a conceptual basis. It's better to take them on an individual basis, rather than go "no, the series doesn't need sequels/spinoffs". Sure, Dirge of Cerberus is an awful, awful game. But on the other end of the spectrum, Crisis Core is one of the best Final Fantasy games I've ever played, both in story and gameplay (as well as the phenomenal soundtrack). Final Fantasy X-2's story may be drivel, but I'll still play that game occasionally because it's insanely fun. Dissidia is one of the most unexpectedly fun treats I've ever played. Revenant Wings gave Vaan and Penelo actual personalities and purpose, even if the gameplay wasn't that great. Theatrhythm is one of the most fun rhythm games I've ever played.

Not everything is a Dirge of Cerberus, or a XIII-2, or a Mystic Quest, or a Crystal Chronicles (I actually like the original GCN one, but the ones after that... not so much). You gotta take them on their own terms.

Spidey said:
The problem with the compilation of FF7, a CONSOLE ROLE PLAYING GAME, is that only ONE of the spinoffs in the compilation were also ROLE PLAYING GAME.  One of them wasn't even a freakin video game, another was  some poor hybrid shooter/rpg, another was a bullshit cell phone game, and I can't even remember what the others were..

I don't see how this is an issue. A series, particularly in spinoffs/sequels, should be allowed to change things up and do things different. It's not always going to work out, but I'd rather the occasional stinker than a series that never really does anything different within itself.

Jump to Post

02.25.2013 10:31pm

Vyers
Dark Adonis

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles on the Gamecube is the best spin-off and/or thing ever and I will Monkey Knife fight anyone who says otherwise!

Jump to Post

02.26.2013 9:51am
 (Edited on 02.26.2013 at 10:01am)

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Ashilyn said:

I mean, I don't mind spinoff and sequels on a conceptual basis. It's better to take them on an individual basis, rather than go "no, the series doesn't need sequels/spinoffs". Sure, Dirge of Cerberus is an awful, awful game. But on the other end of the spectrum, Crisis Core is one of the best Final Fantasy games I've ever played, both in story and gameplay (as well as the phenomenal soundtrack). Final Fantasy X-2's story may be drivel, but I'll still play that game occasionally because it's insanely fun. Dissidia is one of the most unexpectedly fun treats I've ever played. Revenant Wings gave Vaan and Penelo actual personalities and purpose, even if the gameplay wasn't that great. Theatrhythm is one of the most fun rhythm games I've ever played.

Not everything is a Dirge of Cerberus, or a XIII-2, or a Mystic Quest, or a Crystal Chronicles (I actually like the original GCN one, but the ones after that... not so much). You gotta take them on their own terms.

I don't see how this is an issue. A series, particularly in spinoffs/sequels, should be allowed to change things up and do things different. It's not always going to work out, but I'd rather the occasional stinker than a series that never really does anything different within itself.

The series can still be the same genre of video game and play completely differently.  Where do you get the idea that a game series needs to change it's genre to play differently? Ni No Kuni,  FF13, and Xenoblade are 3 recent RPGs that are the same genre but look at the difference. They can still mix it up and have a chance of success by sticking with the elements they know how to work with. These guys don't know how to make an action game so a game like Dirge of Cerberus never had any chance in hell of being any good., and Advent Children never had a chance of being as good as your favorite action movies. 

It's one thing for company like Konami to take spinoffs in different genres. These guys know how to make all genres of games. Square Enix does not. Making spinoffs and sequels in non RPGs never had and never will have a chance of being good for them unless they offshoot the development team to someone who does.  And restricting themselves to RPGs in no way limits their creative freedom as there is still a ton of variety to work with there. 

Jump to Post

03.02.2013 6:52am

Old Juan
filled with hate

There's nothing inherently wrong with sequels, prequels, or one offs. It's just that they have to be executed properly. Square-Enix's track record when it comes to this is spotty. In the end this hurts the Final Fantasy brand overall.

For me Crisis Core was the best because the game actually added considerably to the characters and mythology of the FF7 world. It actually adds to the experience of playing FF7. Even then the game wasn't without it's problems.

Dirge of Cerebrus was Square-Enix's attempt at making a game within a genre for which they had little to no experience in, which means it was doomed to failure right from the beginning. They should have brought in some outside consultation for this one.

Then you have the cell phones games which are....cell phone games.

FFX-2 was fun to play and that's about it. Even this games Job System isn't flawless, the game plays so fast that there really isn't time to do any experiement with the different jobs because your under attack the entire time. The thing is you don't need to. Each job as one to two really useful abilities that you'll make use of and that it about it. One of those abilities is usually ATTACK.

FFXII Revenant Wings was good for what it was: which was a generic real time strategy game.

FFXII-2 while better than it's predecesor, it has the unfortunate status of being the sequal to FFXIII.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter