Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

The Art of Final Fantasy IX Scans!

< Prev 1 2 3 ... 5 Next >

04.26.2012 4:39pm
Thread Creator

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

Hey-o!  With my fancy new scanner, I've now completely scanned the FFIX artbook front to back, and uploaded the whole thing.  Figured I'd post it here since I know there's a couple people who were interested in this book, but didn't own it (Enkidoh?).

The Art of Final Fantasy IX!

I've also completely scanned Dawn and plan on scanning The Sky next, and then all the other little things I have lying around that could use a home on the internet. 

Jump to Post

04.26.2012 4:41pm

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

Cool! Thanks for this FS, I've been searching for this book for nearly a decade now (I have two Japanese FFIX art books though), so this is the next best thing. :)

Jump to Post

04.26.2012 6:09pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Whoa, nice!  Thanks for posting!

Jump to Post

04.27.2012 3:33am
Thread Creator

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

Enkidoh said:

Cool! Thanks for this FS, I've been searching for this book for nearly a decade now (I have two Japanese FFIX art books though), so this is the next best thing. :)

What art books might those be?  I'm always eager to collect more art books, and there might be something in them that wasn't in this one, or The Sky.

Jump to Post

04.27.2012 5:31pm

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

FFIX: Established File and FFIX VIsual Art Collection.

The former I think was published by Japanese gaming mag VJump, as a number of pages seem to be devoted to advertising that mag (along with a few other things), but the majority of the content included is almost the same as the content of The Art of FFIX, only in Japanese (Established File also seems to have included a few extra art pieces which didn't appear in the US book, like the concept art for Garnet's princess dress), as well as showing art in greater detail (one thing it included was a size comparison of the airships on a table - interestingly the Invincible was only shown in silohuette) The book also featured interviews with both Hironobu Sakaguichi and Yoshitaka Amano at the end, but in Japanese only of course.

As for Visual Art Collection, it's basically in the style of those fancy 'coffee table' type art books, but filled with FMV stills from the game. It also includes a number of CG images of characters and even some of the airships too.

I bought both books many years ago from an eBay seller (whom I also got a number of other FF stuff from as well), but I think both books are long since out of print sadly.

Jump to Post

04.27.2012 9:07pm
Thread Creator

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

I have the Visual Art Collection, and was actually planning on scanning that too.  Never heard of the Established Files, though. 

Is this it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Final-Fantasy-IX-9-Art-Book-RARE-/270773899585?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0b61d141

Jump to Post

04.28.2012 2:10am

Aquila
Usually lurking
Administrator

The V-Jump one seems like a special issue full of arts and game details that was published before the game was released; I have a similar one for FFX.  While it has some concept arts it's really more of a promotional issue without spoilers or anything from second half of the game.

Jump to Post

05.02.2012 5:52pm
Thread Creator

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

I went ahead and scanned the Visual Arts book as well, if anyone's interested. 

http://www.espritduo.com/images/ff9_visual_arts/

I also scanned all the equipment art for FFIV and FFVI from their proto-Ultimania official guides at the request of some people on gameFAQ's, so I might as well post them here as well.  Some interesting stuff in there.

http://www.espritduo.com/images/ff4_inventory/

http://www.espritduo.com/images/ff6_inventory/

Jump to Post

05.02.2012 5:55pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Nice!  Thanks for the work!

....Salamander Coral?  What?  Did they ever cover that in the game? (Edit:  I'm guessing this is for the Japanese version only). And it always bugged me that the artwork where he's running from the collapsing building never actually appeared in-game as a cutscene.

Jump to Post

05.02.2012 6:04pm

Seldomseen
Old Guard

Thanks, Free Spirit, this is great stuff! The "World" section ought to inspire my architecture and scenics for the next little while. :) I always did love the Victorian world the characters of FFIX occupied.

Jump to Post

05.02.2012 6:14pm
Thread Creator

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

Yeah, "Salamander" is Amarant's name in the Japanese version.  I think they changed it both because of the strangeness of the name in English, as well as the length of the name.

Jump to Post

05.02.2012 6:18pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Amarant does seem to flow a lot better.

Jump to Post

05.03.2012 2:51pm
Thread Creator

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

I decided to scan the art that came with my collector's edtion of FFXIII-2.  Not a huge amount of stuff, and the images are a tad small, but hey, ART!

FFXIII-2 Concept Art

And with that, I think I've put off my main reason for buying the scanner long enough.  Next up, The Sky!

Jump to Post

05.03.2012 4:32pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Nice!  How was the collector's edition anyway?  I originally wanted it but didn't get around to preordering, then it was sold out when I went to buy the game so I got the regular edition on sale.  Later on I saw the CE and kind of regretted not getting it... I guess it's mainly the Soundtrack, but did you feel it was worth it?

Jump to Post

05.03.2012 5:29pm
Thread Creator (Edited on 05.03.2012 at 5:37pm)

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

It's actually really nice. As you can see, the artwork is nifty if you like that sort of thing. The soundtrack is, of course, a great bonus and the tracklist booklet that comes with it has all the songs' names in English, which I thought was quite convenient. Don't know if the proper OST has them in English as well.

Beyond that, the packaging itself is top-notch, and really looks great just as a mantlepiece kind of thing. It's no Lunar Eternal Blue, but it's pretty good overall.

EDIT:  I thought I'd throw all the various FFXIII-2 official art and junk I had on my computer into that folder as well, so now it has a few more random concept artworks, all the CG renders for the characters and DLC, and the Prada promo clothing.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 ... 5 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter