Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

The lost art of FFIX.

< Prev 1 2 Next >

05.01.2013 11:21pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=551612

Holy crap. Can you imagine playing a remake like this?

Jump to Post

05.01.2013 11:29pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Wow.  Yeah that would be amazing.  I love the ones that almost look painted too, kind of like Skyward Sword's look.

Makes me wonder why SE hasn't remade this (and FFVII) yet.  All they'd have to do is fix up the sprites a la FFX HD, keep the pre-rendered backgrounds in the original art-level detail and they'd have instant money.  Increase the battle speed for whiners like me and there would be bonus dollars.

Jump to Post

05.01.2013 11:50pm

Kellios
Yikes and away!

Yeah.... if they released the game with this sort of detail and love, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Hell, can I get an artbook of all that too? I have the first FFIX art book from way back.

Jump to Post

05.02.2013 12:11am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

If they release it in HD, I will buy whatever is neccesary to play it, PS3, Vita, wireless connection, whatever. It is definitely the best looking Final Fantasy game.

Jump to Post

05.02.2013 12:15am

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

Oh my.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

05.02.2013 12:18am
 (Edited on 05.02.2013 at 3:19am)

Crisium
N/A

Hell yeah.  I still think FFIX (and VIII) have the best graphics in the series.  With the original, less compressed backgrounds?  Wowow.  Hell yeah, make an HD version with the original backgrounds and updated character and monster graphics.

Assuming they still have the whole game uncompressed somewhere.  Given SE's idiocy these days, they probably deleted it to make more hard drive space for phone games.

Also what's sad is that modern consoles can do this level of rendering in real time.  But unique static angles are a lost art in the modern era.  We have stupid over the shoulder the whole game.  Static angles with slight camera panning is so much more attractive.

Run up these stairs at this angle:

https://i.imgur.com/MvzPHKB.jpg

And then you are presented with this unique view:

https://i.imgur.com/mLUf8UA.jpg

Or you can stare at Lightning's behind most of the game in modern titles:

https://hardandsoftgaming.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/ffxiii_screen_corridor.jpg

And they have less detail to boot in modern games.  Look at all the little items around the house in FFIX:

https://i.imgur.com/sFAQumY.jpg

This isn't even my first post praising FFIX's graphics on FFS.  I just do it because I have so much love to give for IX's visuals.

Jump to Post

05.02.2013 1:24am

Aquila
Usually lurking
Administrator

I've actually seen most of them after stumbling upon that guy's portfolio.  And the concept arts were included in the FF 25th Anniversary Ultimania.

Jump to Post

05.02.2013 1:59am

FenixDown
The King's orders are absolute

HD FFIX? Sign me up! Those backgrounds look amazing, and the downgraded versions used in game still look great as they are. Man I want to play this game again.

Let's Play Chrono Trigger
Let's Play The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Let's Play Final Fantasy VI

Jump to Post

05.02.2013 3:09am

Crux
A mental Dentist's office

I know I'm being picky, but seeing the resolution of those sprites and the backgrounds, solves my GREATEST system problem with the FF8 and FF9. Both seemed like they had grand locals to show, but only in blurred lines and blocks.
These looks so much better and it's nice being able to tell the coffee guy looks like anybody with these illustrations. I would never thought the game had such detail put in the disc.

FF7 gets by that since the characters were Lego people, which I enjoyed. Although I wouldnt turn down a FF7 rehashed.

Jump to Post

05.02.2013 3:17am

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

Hey Cris,

Staring at LIghtning's behind was the best thing about FFXIII.

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

05.02.2013 3:37am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

The graphics are so detailed and full of personality that I can tell you exactly what house that is in the last picture Crisium posted and it's not even the house of a significant character or anything, it's just that every single place in the game is unique to the nth degree.

Jump to Post

05.02.2013 3:59am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

seriously what the fuck happened to square enix

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

05.02.2013 4:24am

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

What game are those from?  It says Final Fantasy but there are no glow effects.

Jump to Post

05.02.2013 6:05am

ManjiSanji
Insanity Mongoose

Damn, those are amazing.  I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Which is exactly why it'll never happen!

Jump to Post

05.02.2013 11:03am

Kal
yes

Oh it'd look so great on my mobile!!!;(

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter