Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

What Square Enix says makes Final Fantasy

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

11.26.2012 8:05pm
Thread Creator

viator
Registered Member

https://kotaku.com/5963157/what-square-enix-says-makes-a-final-fantasy

• Magic
  • Summoning
  • Gorgeous beauty
  • Refinement
  • Change and challenge

What do you think? Do you agree?

For me, this list is post-Sakaguchi Final Fantasy. If we needed any literal proof of that, here it is.

dissidia.net

Jump to Post

11.26.2012 8:39pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I'd say pre FF12, FF was about a gang of likeable heroes who goes on an epic quest against evil.
FF12 and on, FF is about a gang of heroes you want to burn in hell who go on an epic quest against either someone you don't remember or their own angst.

Jump to Post

11.26.2012 9:24pm

Zubis
Registered Member

Eh, you could apply that to any of the games. Gorgeous beauty in particular can be arguably introduced in FF6, 7, 10 or 13.

Jump to Post

11.26.2012 10:18pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

Buckles
Zippers
Effeminate Male Characters
Cid
Chocobos

Jump to Post

11.28.2012 9:50pm

Shadow
Comes and goes like the wind...

-Chocobos
-Spiky Hair
-Saving the world from evil

amaron's list is good too

Jump to Post

11.29.2012 2:22am

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

That's so general I don't even...This Square really has lost touch of its (what used to be) no. 1 franchise.

===

"Plans? What plans? I''m making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

11.29.2012 3:04am

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

What makes FF online games

Tight mithra butts.

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

11.29.2012 3:51am

Aquila
Usually lurking
Administrator

I'd replace magic with a really good story and world setting.

Jump to Post

11.29.2012 5:08am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Gamestrailers had a retrospective a few years back on the elements that comprised a Final Fantasy game. And yes while they did highlight the superficial features like Crystals, Summons, systems, characters, etc. At the end they highlighted the core people and visionaries of the franchise.

They were Ito, Sakaguchi, Uematsu, and Amano; really these people were the brainchild of the franchise and were influential keeping the series forward even if in each new iteration they were less hands on. I really think that's reason what's facing Final Fantasy that these people were pushed aside beofre they were ready too. This does not mean they should be directing and producing games today, but I felt like their expertise were never successfully transitioned to the next generation of developers and designers in SE and a of their knowledge was gained from corporate suits instead of the people who were the heart and sould of the franchise. 

Jump to Post

11.29.2012 11:35am
Thread Creator

viator
Registered Member

I really don't think crystals are a superficial feature. They are the foundation of this series and should leave a mark in every title, in the form of music if nothing else (of which even that was cut from Final Fantasy XIII). The crystals are one of the few identifications the series as a whole has.

I agree about the four people mentioned, though I can't say they were in the course to create as they did during their prime time in Square Enix. As Squaresoft grew into a big corporation, a decline was bound to happen--but before which we still might have seen a few more true gems surface if the circumstances were different.

Jump to Post

11.29.2012 6:09pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Did Square push Uematsu away or did he decide to go freelance on his own?

Jump to Post

11.29.2012 9:37pm

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

I think Uematsu decided that working with SE was becoming too restrictive, and that he wanted to pursue other projects - thus he founded his own music studio 'Smile Time Please' (how I love wacky Japanese titles :P). Sakaguchi leaving probably helped influence his decision as well, seeing as how he continued to work closely with Hironobu's Mist Walker company.

In any event, I don't think he was pushed like Sakaguchi was - I'm pretty sure his leaving was voluntary. Hence why he has still come back to SE from time to time to work on further music for various SE productions (like FFXIV).

Jump to Post

11.30.2012 12:02am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

OH yeah I think I did one track on FF12 or FF13 as well, forgot which.

Jump to Post

11.30.2012 12:12am
Thread Creator

viator
Registered Member

Nobuo left because Square Enix was moving office to Shinjuku. More on that in this great interview.

Jump to Post

11.30.2012 11:56pm

Shadow
Comes and goes like the wind...

Despite the fact that we could all argue the Final Fantasy series might not be at the same level it was in the late 90's or early 00's, I think we should still recognize that it makes a lot more changes than almost any other series happens to do with its sequels.

There are some similar themes and gameplay standards that will always make the series feel like one, but each number could almost go on and be its own series...the worlds are just THAT well developed in most cases. I think the fact that every game is so different is also what makes so many different people feel so strongly about different releases or what their favorite in the series is.

When you look at a series like CoD (a series I want to say I still think is high quality and great), but I think the Modern Warfare and Black Ops games to me are all just kind of a blur, none really stand out too much against each other in a way that really has me picking a strong favorite. I mean I think I'll always consider CoD4 my favorite, but that's probably just because the experience was much more new at the time.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter