Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

What Square Enix says makes Final Fantasy

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

12.08.2012 6:17pm

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

Spidey said:

If Serah died instead of being crystalized I'd probably like FF13. That would have been freakin awesome!! Characters would be forced to grow the fuck up at the very beginning.
I dunno they killed off Nora (OMG her name is the same as their rebel brigade!) and that made Snow (<- did you know he thinks he's quite heroic?) and Hope (<- he's a teenager.... that's angry) both grow down.

Jump to Post

12.08.2012 7:01pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

SuperSquall said:

Re: "We hate FF because we got old":
Bullshit.  I like Avatar: The Last Airbender and  Adventure Time.  These are 'for children' but have artistic merit that kids simply don't fully appreciate.  When I was a kid I liked the Super Mario cartoon and probably would've liked it more than ATLA, but in retrospect it is shit and ATLA is still some of the greatest television of all time.

Exactly this. I mean, I adore a show about cartoon ponies where the original target audience was clearly young girls.

The problem is that the modern day FF characters excessively pander to their target audience (Japanese teenagers) and because of that, are poorly written and end up insulting to said target audience. They have no depth or soul, being cynically created in corporate marketing meetings. They aren't made to be good characters. They're made because Square Enix tries to make what their audience thinks are good characters. And since they're ridiculously out of touch, we get garbage like FF13's cast.

Jump to Post

12.08.2012 9:57pm

JSG
Registered Member

This list is just "what makes an RPG," not so much a Final Fantasy.

I think what makes a Final Fantasy is Sakaguchi.  The series started to go into decline as soon as he began taking a more hands-off approach.  Now that he's gone it feels like FF is the video game equivalent of pop music - mass produced by a bunch of corporate types to appeal to a single demographic (teenagers, and since it's a Japanese country, Japanese teenagers specifically) without any kind of heart or soul in it.

Jump to Post

12.08.2012 10:05pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

I just love how "story" and "fun gameplay" fail to make their "list".

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

12.09.2012 1:29am

Cameron
Registered Member

SuperSquall said:

I dunno they killed off Nora (OMG her name is the same as their rebel brigade!) and that made Snow (<- did you know he thinks he's quite heroic?) and Hope (<- he's a teenager.... that's angry) both grow down.

Ha, yes, good point.  Thinking back on it, with this description, I actually can't believe how ridiculously bad essentially every scene was in that game.  I don't think killing any number of characters would have saved that abomination of a story.

Square-Enix should almost focus on using someone elses characters and story and try to turn that into a Final Fantasy game, because they've clearly lost their touch for story-telling and creating loveable characters. I don't know if that's a serious suggestion, but 13 is just that horrendous.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter