Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

The Lego Appreciation Thread

< Prev 1 2 Next >

10.18.2011 5:46pm
Thread Creator

Plumbum
Yes, what of it?

So, anyone still into Legos? I know we've had the discussion a few times before, but they do minifigures now. A little expensive for $3, but some of them are awsome. I actually worked with a woman who was able to guess which figurine was in each package with 100% accuracy.

http://minifigures.lego.com/en-us/Default.aspx

They really should take the time to build some sets around these characters. I'd love to play with a Roman Coliseum Set.

Jump to Post

10.18.2011 7:08pm

Southern Comfort
silently judging all of you

I spent about $500 on a couple of Technic models a while ago.  Honestly, now, I'm wishing I could offload them.  New Technic just isn't the same, and I have a photography hobby to feed now.

Hey, does anyone want to buy some Technic models?  I'll let them go for (relatively) cheap!

Jump to Post

10.18.2011 9:17pm

Amer
pew pew pew

I was buying the Star Wars sets into High School. I've got the entire Boonta Eve Podrace set, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, etc. etc. But they are all in boxes in the basement, assembled. It seems like now all those Lego sets have become even more nicer looking and more expensive. The new X-Wing sets look great. 

Every once in a while I'll see a set that catches my eye, like a Batman or Ferrari one, but I have to resist. 

There's no point for it to me anymore. I'm too old and the hobby is too "childish". I have no where to display them and even if I did I'm sure I'd get some snickers. You can put together an entire complicated set in a few hours and then what? I do some modeling, figures, cars, etc. every once in a while and find I enjoy it more and it's easier to display, or if they are for board games, etc. they get put away with the game. 

Jump to Post

10.19.2011 12:30am

Kal
yes

I liked them better when the had expression-less faces.
I still have the entire pirate set from back in the late 80's. The ships were actually really nice, I should build them again and display them, they look really cool.

Jump to Post

10.19.2011 1:14am

Southern Comfort

I'm just not as creative as I was once upon a time.  I'm not ashamed to show off my really awesome Lego creations at all.  They're Legos, you can do some awesome shiznit with it.  But when it came down to building things... not only has Lego Technic changed since my childhood (goodbye studded beams, hello studless), but I just can't put together something awesome, let alone what some people in the internet can do (fully functional Bugatti Veryon, anyone?)

That, and I picked up my old photography hobby that I wound up dropping in high school.  Yay for not having to pay for film processing anymore and/or my less creative fuckups in the high school's darkroom, but boo equipment costs.  I don't get enough fun out of Lego anymore to justify keeping both it and photography as hobbies.  One had to go.

If Lego were perhaps cheaper... but I might as well wish for the moon as well.

(Also, minifigs suck.  Seriously, I can play with a system set all day, but minifigs are just boring crap, I don't understand the attraction of owning tiny inarticulate action figures, I don't care how pretty the paint job.)

Jump to Post

10.19.2011 1:17am

OrionHardy
Otherworld

My daughter started Nursery this September and I go in two times a week as a voluntary teaching assistant. They have loads of Lego their of various different sizes. It takes all my strength to not revert into a little kid and join in.

Great men aren't everywhere, just where it counts.

If you ever see me online playing Halo, join me please.

Jump to Post

10.19.2011 3:43am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

Everytime I see them, I want them. Then I remember, as SC said, I'm not creative with them the way I once was and the things I see on the Internet kick my ass so hard. For the money invested, it's just not worth it, sadly. I fI had kid though, I'd be giving them Legos this very minute.

Jump to Post

10.19.2011 10:40pm

Fukiyama
Sysadmin of my brain

Lego's true heyday for me, like Kal, was the late 80s and the early 90s.  Lego really died for me when it wrapped up the Castle system and came out with the more fantasyish follow-on.  That was really sad for me.

Jump to Post

10.20.2011 1:08am

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

I have my Lego stash ready for when kids come along.  I have the second edition space lego monorail and a *lot* of other cool stuff (mostly space, but some old castle and pirate stuff too), so it's a decent collection.

Personally I considered this to be the zenith:

Jump to Post

10.20.2011 8:00am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

SuperSquall said:

I have my Lego stash ready for when kids come along.  I have the second edition space lego monorail and a *lot* of other cool stuff (mostly space, but some old castle and pirate stuff too), so it's a decent collection.

Personally I considered this to be the zenith:

That is a masterpiece.

Jump to Post

10.20.2011 11:44am

Som
Genitals are Funny

i love lego still and wish we got cool sets in the stores around here. Regardless of me being 28 now my sister gets me a set of bionicals each birthday i have.

Jump to Post

10.20.2011 3:19pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I used to have the... undersea? set, with the bright-ass green transparent pieces?  And the ice set, which had orange transparent pieces, for cockpits and stuff.  Man, those sets made for some seriously badass spaceships.  And the Space Police, which had darker green transparent pieces?

As cool as the licensed sets these days are (I had Darth Maul's ship once, and it was AWESOME), they sort of lack the charm of the random sci-fi themed sets from the good old days.

I had a lot of medieval stuff, with knights and etc, and one really badass samurai figure, who always kicked the asses of the knights and stuff because back then JAPAN WAS SO COOL.

My mom has all my old legos, and my youngets brothers additions to the collection, in a big ass tub in her attic for my kids... but my kids are both girls, and none of my legos are girl-themed, and while I'm more than willing to let girls play with boy toys they have to actually show interest themselves instead of having me foist it on them.

Jump to Post

10.20.2011 5:59pm

Magnus
Registered Member

That Republic Destroyer is nice.

Came across this beheomoth one day.

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/lego-aircraft-carrier

Jump to Post

10.20.2011 8:09pm

Southern Comfort

reido said:

My mom has all my old legos, and my youngets brothers additions to the collection, in a big ass tub in her attic for my kids... but my kids are both girls, and none of my legos are girl-themed, and while I'm more than willing to let girls play with boy toys they have to actually show interest themselves instead of having me foist it on them.

Pull them out and start building stuff.  It won't take long for your girls to dig in themselves once they see you building something.

Jump to Post

10.20.2011 10:21pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

I want the Lego Death Star.

The only lego set I ever had was a builder's set, when I was a kid. Still have it, but it's stored away. By builder's set, I mean, you know just the random lego blocks thrown in together, no theme whatsoever, imagination required.

Oh and a couple of super small SW themed pieces. Don't know where they are, but one is from Episode 1 and the other is from Episode IV. I think the one from episode IV is the escape pod that R2-D2 and C-3PO used.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter