Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

The Penn State Sexual Abuse Scandal

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

11.10.2011 4:35pm
Thread Creator

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

This is really huge news in the world of college sports. Jerry Sandusky used his position as defensive coordinator at Penn State to rape god knows how many young boys (at least 8, potentially up to 20 victims).  And instead of exposing this predator and subhuman piece of shit years ago, reactions among the Penn State higher ups, including legendary head coach Joe Paterno, athletic directors, and other people in position to do something, either did the legal bare minimum (Paterno) and nothing else, or in the worst case covered it up and outright lied under oath.

As is the case with these things, the cover up was to protect the brand of Penn State football, since sports are obviously so much more important than a sick fuck victimizing innocent children. And ironically, far more, permanent damage has been done now because of this cover-up than there would have been if the right things had been done instead.

The fallout has been catastrophic to say the least. Two men face felony perjury charges, Paterno and the president of the university have been fired, Sandusky is awaiting a taste of his own medicine in prison, and Penn State's reputation and image have been flushed down the toilet. And the reaction to this all by a large number of Penn State's students is to turn Paterno into a martyr and riot, since again, college football matters so much more than a sick fuck destroying the lives of who knows how many innocents.

And the fucked up thing is that we may not be through the rabbit hole yet.

Jump to Post

11.10.2011 4:47pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

A sort-of-friend of mine on Facebook keeps harping on about how less media coverage should be on Paterno and more should be on Sandusky.  GMA (or maybe it was Today?) mentioned something about how uncool people thought it was that Paterno got fired over the phone, and yeah, the riots?

Fuck that noise.  Knowingly allowing something horrible to happen is tantamount to performing the horrible thing yourself.  Fuck Paterno, fuck the leadership at Penn State, and fuck the moronic Penn State student body.

Jump to Post

11.10.2011 6:42pm

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

Where are those cops who indiscriminate shoot rubber bullets into people's heads and hit people with flash-bangs when you need them?

Jump to Post

11.10.2011 8:31pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

My boyfriend's from Philadelphia and went to Penn State and he's appalled by what's happened there. I actually heard about this sunday when I was waiting for my plane home from Philly and someone was on his cell phone talking about it, then I heard a blurb on the radio a couple days later, and now it's exploded.

It's absolutely disgusting that a) there was a cover-up to protect the "integrity" of a f*cking sports group and b) that people are trying to defend Paterno. Legend or not, you don't turn a blind eye to something so despicable as child abuse. He deserved to be fired and he fully deserves to be knocked off his pedestal.

Sports...They're just another kind of religion. Think about it, you'll see the parallels. Too bad this one will have its name sullied too.

Jump to Post

11.11.2011 12:48am

JackDyce
Canadian Liberator

In my humble opinion, there was no way Paterno should have remained head coach going forward. But I do have a problem with the fact that he is being made out to be a scapegoat, when he has been cleared of any legal wrongdoing. His firing doesn't make anything better, it doesn't make the victims feel any better or improve their situation, and in some small ways it actually makes the problem worse (i.e., people acting stupid and rioting).

If Penn State truly wants to prove it is completely shaking up the school and cleaning up the mess, then everyone who knew but did nothing needs to be gone, not just one or two figureheads. McQueary is still coaching, and his name is at the center of this scandal as someone who witnessed the act and did very little to prevent it happening in the future - much less stopping it at the time. Why wasn't he fired? Tom Bradley, the new head coach, has been at Penn State for 33 years. How could the board of trustees done a thorough enough investigating job in less than a week to be 100% certain he didn't know anything about the scandal. Joe's own son is still coaching - are we seriously expected to believe that he was completely in the dark about Sandusky?

If you're going to clean house, then clean house. Get rid of everybody. But propping up one or two people as scapegoats does nothing to fix the problem. Again, I am not trying to suggest Joe Paterno should have kept his job. I just think that if you're going to start punishing people, then punish everyone involved. And if you don't know who those people are, then do some research before you operate on knee-jerk reactions.

Jump to Post

11.11.2011 1:47am
Thread Creator

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I think the entire program should be cleansed with fire. Penn State in particular is very incestuous in who's involved. It's its own little kingdom of sorts, and Paterno was King Joe the First. In particular, I'm absolutely baffled why McQueary still has a job. I'm not sure if he knows even more than he did or if he's protected by some sort of whistleblower statute. Or something even shadier. Considering the cover-up orchestrated by the Penn State higher-ups and possibly the Pennsylvania state police, district attorneys, and god knows who else, I wouldn't be surprised.

And just because Paterno wasn't charged with anything criminal (which might be changing now that the feds are involved) doesn't mean what he did was anything short of morally reprehensible and at best, a massive mistake in judgment that should cost him his job. His retirement speech was also one of the most self-serving and arrogant things I've ever heard.

I don't think he's being used as a scapegoat so much as his supporters and idiotic sports fans are turning him into a martyr. It's amazing just how many people underestimate how Joe Paterno could have so much influence and power. It's a cult of personality.

Jump to Post

11.11.2011 11:22am

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

No, JoePa is definitely being used as a scapegoat. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve some blame, and I agree with the move to fire him, but he isn't one truly at fault here. That would be Sandusky.

Joe Posnanski's take, given that he's writing a biography of the man.

Jump to Post

11.11.2011 11:37am

Kal
yes

I was just reading about this case earlier, it's absolutely disgusting. The levels of hypocrisy some people reach is sometimes too bewildering to understand. Not only the case itself is disguting but the whole cover up is even worse. I believe the people who covered it up should be punished with just as much severity as the rapist, if not moreso.
Raping children is a vile, vile thing, but in the end it's the act of someone who has serious mental problems and not total control over their actions (I am not excusing it by any means, but this is the work of an insane person). Covering up such acts was a very conscious decision by perfectly sane people who knew full well what was going on and who would rather pretend nothing happened then lose their reputation, it's even more vile, in my opinion, because the message to the kids here is "Not only you were raped, but your innocence is less important than the reputation of a sports club".

My thoughts go out to all the boys who've been robbed of their life and I hope the ones responsible get what they deserve.

Jump to Post

11.11.2011 12:34pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Big Tall said:

No, JoePa is definitely being used as a scapegoat. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve some blame, and I agree with the move to fire him, but he isn't one truly at fault here. That would be Sandusky.

Joe Posnanski's take, given that he's writing a biography of the man.
Um, they're BOTH at fault. Sandusky is obviously the worst in this scandal, but Paterno's failure to report the incident to actual law enforcement makes him part of the problem, big time. McQueary should also have reported to law enforcement instead of simply Paterno. To suggest that Paterno is a scapegoat in this is, quite frankly, completely contrary to the facts presented so far. He deserves all the villification he's getting right now, as does Penn State's idiotic student body for rioting on his behalf.

And Paterno could indeed be held legally responsible. He has absolutely NOT been cleared of anything.

Jump to Post

11.11.2011 1:10pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

How is he not the scapegoat in all of this? The vast majority of the focus since this story broke is on what JoePa knew and what action he did or did not take. The fury over Sandusky's actions have almost been brushed aside, along with the poor kids who were victimized, so people can focus on what should happen to JoePa. Again, I agree that he should have been fired, but the three ring circus that led to the whole thing has made him out to be the fall guy and somehow him being fired will make it all better. It doesn't. Far from it.

Jump to Post

11.11.2011 3:50pm
Thread Creator

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Because being a scapegoat implies he was an innocent victim of all this. The only innocent victims were the children his silence and inaction helped create.

Jump to Post

11.11.2011 3:53pm

Crisium
N/A

McQueary is at fault.  So he sees Sandusky sexually abusing (or worse) a 10-year old boy, and he only decide to report it to the next higher up in the organization?  This isn't the military.  Call the damn police and inform them of child rape.  Paterno makes the same mistake of corporate chain-of-command for a civil and legal issue that should have been reported to police, but at least he didn't actually see it.  McQueary, still in a job, is mind-boggling.

Jump to Post

11.11.2011 3:55pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Paterno is getting the bulk of the media attention because he's fucking Joe Paterno.  Who the hell knows who Sandusky and McQueary and whoever else even are?  They're not much compared to legendary coach Joe Fucking Paterno.

Jump to Post

11.11.2011 3:56pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Fair enough. I'll just wait until more details emerge on exactly what he knew.

Jump to Post

11.11.2011 4:16pm
 (Edited on 11.11.2011 at 6:27pm)

Crux
A mental Dentist's office

^ Same, I'm just curious what everyone knew. The size of the circle.
But I had a random thought, as I so often do... Could it be that he is being canned by the University because of other reasons? I recall reading some sort of unfavorabe criticism against Paterno and in particular some internal strife, but that was years ago and I don't remember where to find it.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter