Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Dark Souls 2

< Prev 1 2 3 4 Next >

Are you prepared to die, again?

Show Poll Results

12.08.2012 3:54pm
Thread Creator

judge_raz
Ceci n'est pas une lobster

So, it looks like the best game of the current generation is getting a sequel!

"Of Christ's twelve Apostles Judas alone proved to be traitor. But if he had acquired power, he would have represented the other eleven Apostles as traitors, and also all the lesser Apostles whom Luke numbers as seventy." - Leon Trotsky

I have a blog. This is its URL. You should read it. It's about education and skepticism and books and it has a lot of pictures of Batman and Robin in it: https://baldermoon.wordpress.com/

Jump to Post

12.08.2012 5:05pm

Crux
A mental Dentist's office

Jump to Post

12.09.2012 7:06pm
Thread Creator

judge_raz

Oh man. Demon's Souls was one of the most addictive games I've ever played, and Dark Souls is still eminently playable more than a year after its release, with or without the DLC. I'm really concerned that Dark Souls II will swallow me whole.

Jump to Post

12.11.2012 8:47am

Lews
Lord of the Morning

can't wait for a release date announcement!

there have been several franchises over the past few years that i've loved.. the castlevanias, the final fantasies, the resident evils, silent hills, the zelda series..

but i don't think any of them (aside from zelda) get my attention anymore like a souls series announcement.  

i had been recently wondering what they'd call the next game in the series, and a continuation of the dark souls line was the best possible announcement they could have made.  still not sure if it's a sequel or prequel, but i'm stoked either way.

Jump to Post

12.11.2012 2:20pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

judge_raz said:

Oh man. Demon's Souls was one of the most addictive games I've ever played, and Dark Souls is still eminently playable more than a year after its release, with or without the DLC. I'm really concerned that Dark Souls II will swallow me whole.

Are we talking figutively or literally?

Jump to Post

12.17.2012 10:20pm

Lews
Lord of the Morning

So the creator of the Souls series, Hidetaka Miyazaki, will only be a supervisor for Dark Souls 2, and there are two new directors for this one.

Two things:

New faces mean new directions, which is what they claim they're aiming for.  Could be a good thing.  After all, look at how much different Dark Souls was compared to Demon's Souls, and I think Dark is the better game.

Other thing is, Miyazaki was heavily involved in both games, and was able to re-create the series himself.  He's not going to be involved in this one, so a re-create from somebody different might not neccessarily be a good thing.  At the very least, it probably won't be what Dark Souls fans are expecting.

I dunno, I'm probably still gonna get it on day one, but that all depends on what I see & hear about it.  Gameplay trailers, especially, since I don't put too much stock in CGI trailers.

Jump to Post

12.20.2012 1:45pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I never played the game but I read that it's hard and everyone dies a lot playing it?

Jump to Post

12.20.2012 2:56pm

CaButler

Atma Weapon said:

I never played the game but I read that it's hard and everyone dies a lot playing it?

There's an understatement for the game.

And no, techincally, nobody dies a lot playing it.

They all die playinjg it all the time.

Stupid sword wolf thing.

Jump to Post

12.21.2012 2:50am
Thread Creator

judge_raz

You be nice to Sif. He's a good dog. He's just protecting his friend's grave.

Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
;_;

But yeah. Death is actually a mechanic in the game, and something that's woven into the plot. It's an important plot element.

Jump to Post

12.22.2012 4:44am

Lews
Lord of the Morning

Yeah it's a hard game, but I think it'd be best described as a game with which you need to take your time to learn and be very cautious with instead of rushing in blindly.  It's a very unforgiving game if you treat it in the same manner as something like God of War or some such action game.  They start you off with a shield for a very good reason and that reason is not aesthetics, I can assure you.

Once you die several times and get the hang of things, it'll probably become something that's very hard to quit, as in my case.

Jump to Post

01.26.2013 10:57pm
Thread Creator

judge_raz

See, that's the thing. When you understand the mechanics of the game, and you take to it slowly and methodically, then it's really not that difficult of a series. It's just that those things are anathema to modern gaming, which you're supposed to assess very quickly and then plow through.

I heard awhile ago that Demon's Souls was originally meant to be a reboot of Castlevania and then it grew out from that and it shows. A lot of people say that Contra or Ghosts n Goblins are the most difficult old school games and they say that because they didn't play enough Castlevania III when they were kids. I love that series something fierce, and that's probably why I connected so strongly to Demon's Souls when I got my hands on it. It's got the same sort of incredibly punishing, but incredibly fair difficulty to it. I like it when a game gives you every chance to make it through unscathed, so long as you know what you're doing and that's what the Souls games are.

Jump to Post

01.30.2013 6:18am

Murasame
HALE YEAH

I'm officially excited. These games give me a "holy fuck" feeling in a much more slow and methodical way than an over the top DMC game. With those games, you just feel like it's impossible to keep up when you die, but when you die in these games you feel like you have no one to blame but yourself. I just melee'd the double team of Maneaters in Demon's Souls, and even when I'd beaten the first one, I was still on the edge of my seat. I wanted to vomit with rage and excitement that I could finally kill them this time, and then of course I tackled the Old Monk boss and died.

These games are super rad, and I really want to catch up.

Jump to Post

03.05.2013 8:30pm
Thread Creator

judge_raz

This thread fell to the second page?

I am so disappointed in you people. So. Disappointed.

Jump to Post

03.05.2013 11:55pm

CaButler

There's nothing to really talk about, Raz.

Jump to Post

03.07.2013 1:40am
Thread Creator

judge_raz

We can talk about how awesome the other games are, since there isn't a thread devoted to them!

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter