Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Essential DS RPGs

< Prev 1 2 Next >

02.28.2012 5:37am
Thread Creator

Seelas
I want to go back.

Hey all,

I'm (finally) going to pick up a Nintendo DS sometime soon, since I realized it has a pretty impressive stock of worthwhile RPGs at this point. I thought I'd poke around and ask which ones you'd consider to be the cream of the crop (ports of classic RPGs are fine too). I already know I'm going to get:

* Chrono Trigger DS
* The World Ends With You
* Radiant Historia
* Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor

Any other recommendations? Was the FFIV DS release any good? As I understand the DS can play GBA titles as well, so classic RPGs on that work for me too.

Jump to Post

02.28.2012 6:02am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I'm not a fan of the Dragon Quest series, but if you are, DQ5 and DQ6 are must gets. Hear plenty of good things about DQ9, too.

Of course, there's Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum and Pokemon Black/White. 

I also personally liked FFIII DS. 4 Heroes of Light is an old school difficulty style of RPG. FFIV DS is really good and offers enough interesting things for a fresh playthrough unless you're just really sick of FFIV.

I also really liked the Lufia II remake, though it is RADICALLY different from the original.

Finally, I noticed that you listed SMT Devil Survivor. There's also SMT Strange Journey, which is very much a traditional dungeon crawler style of SMT game.

Jump to Post

02.28.2012 6:50am

Milky Ore
Kickin' it old school

I'm not a fan of the Dragon Quest series, but if you are, DQ5 and DQ6 are must gets. Hear plenty of good things about DQ9, too.

DQ4 as well, which I like more than 5 personally.  I cna't compare it to 6, still haven't gotten around to that one.  :x

As far as The World Ends With You, I wouldn't 100% recommend it, but I wouldn't say "DON'T DO IT" if it looks interesting enough to you.

Yes yes yes to Radiant Historia.  See this thread:  https://www.ffsociety.com/forums/f12/Radiant_Historia_is_getting_a_rerelease_416

And some other possible GBA games/remakes to add -- Fire Emblem, Shining Force, and Tales of Phantasia.

Jump to Post

02.28.2012 12:47pm

Kal
yes

I really didn't like neither the FFIII nor the FFIV remake but the other ones you listed are all great, especially Radiant Historia.
For GBA games, I'll add Riviera : The promised Land. It's a brilliant game.

Jump to Post

02.28.2012 2:34pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

I approve of that list, Seelas.

As for other good DS RPGS, Devil Survivor 2 is also coming out this week.  If you enjoyed the original you'll likely enjoy that.  Be warned, however, that this is made by Atlus, so the game is brutally hard.

If you're curious, another title to look at is Super robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier.  I thought it was a decent title, myself.

And I got nothing else after that.

And yes on Radiant Historia.  Always yes.

Jump to Post

02.28.2012 2:54pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

FF IV DS is a must and although battles are slightly slower it is my favorite version of the game.

Radiant Historia is a duh.

While they aren't universally loved, I was a big fan of Suikoden Tierkreis and Valkyrie Profile: CotP. 

DQ V was my favorite DS installment by far but IX is up there too.

Bowsers Inside Story was very, very fun to play.

Revenant Wings is awesome but I'd only suggest it if you liked XII at all and are ok with RTS games. 

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

02.28.2012 3:48pm
 (Edited on 02.28.2012 at 3:55pm)

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

FFXII: Revenant Wings. It's a strategy/melee RPG sequel to ... well that's obvious enough lol.

Contact. An action(esque) RPG that plays a lot like Earthbound and even has sections that resemble Earthbound.

Jump to Post

02.28.2012 4:02pm

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

I know im probably the only one here that likes them, but if you want a super hard old school dungon crawling rpg pic up the etrian odyssey games. They are amazing.

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

02.28.2012 4:11pm

Kal
yes

Catastrophe said:

FFXII: Revenant Wings. It's a strategy/melee RPG sequel that was superior to its elder brother in every possible way and more.
I didn't like FFXII much, but Revenant Wings, although slow to start, turned out to be actually pretty great.

Jump to Post

02.28.2012 6:16pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

It's a surprise.  I hated FFXII, but liked Revenant Wings a lot.

Jump to Post

02.28.2012 6:48pm

JSG
Registered Member

I'd give Sands of Destruction a shot, too.  If you don't mind totally broken gameplay (like, FF8 level broken gameplay).   I thought it was an insanely fun game and really liked the story and characters, but it got REALLY easy in the latter ahlf because it's not hard to become overpowered.

Jump to Post

02.28.2012 9:02pm
 (Edited on 02.28.2012 at 9:08pm)

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Of the ones you mentioned I agree with Radiant Historia and World Ends With you. Those are the 2 best RPGs on the system IMO. Other great recs I think are worth a play, in order of my fav to least favorite

1-Bowser's Inside Story
2-Mario and Luigi partners in Time
3-Black Sigil
4-DQ9
5-Revenant Wings

I disagree that FF heroes of light is old school. There is nothing old school about that game. It is however a terrible game. It takes all the old school element of Dragon Quest that are fun and removes them, and takes all the old school elements of dragon quest that are annoying and keeps them, and attempts to clone the DQ formula, and fails miserably.

You don't even get all 4 of your party members assembled together for any real amount of time until about 3/4 of the way through the game. Old school games let you have everyone essentially  in the very beginning.

Basically my "stay away" list:

1-FF Heroes of Light
2-Sonic RPG
3-Valkyrie Profile Covenant of the Plume
4-Contact

Jump to Post

02.28.2012 9:46pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

^ Buddy, you just made yourself a powerful enemy.

...as soon as I find him lol

As for your "Stay Away" list, I don't agree with CotP. That game has a lot going for it. As does Heroes of Light. Contact, I'll give you that one because after a while it starts getting stupid hard and pretty annoying. Sonic RPG I never played.

Jump to Post

02.28.2012 9:52pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I didn't even know there was a Shin Megami game on DS.

Jump to Post

02.28.2012 10:32pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

CotP is probably one of those games that's a lot better if you're not a fan of the original VP's story.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter