Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Game of the year

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

11.23.2011 4:41am
Thread Creator (Edited on 11.23.2011 at 7:14am)

Sturm
Registered Member

Alright, no poll options so instead I wrote up a really long original posts.(polls suck anyways, who cares what the percentage of anyone thinks with out some sort of thought behind it). I'm going to list each game, followed by the IGN blurb, and then followed by a short blurb by me.

This may be a bit FPS heavy but that's how the majority of gamers tend to lean at this point, I know this board probably doesn't lean that way, but I'd be remissed not to include all candidates. It also may be a bit short when it comes to PC games, I tired to include what I was aware of, but personally not a PC gamer... Let me know if I'm missing something.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution(PC, PS3, 360): 
To save his life, the fundamental choice of whether or not to become augmented with cybernetics has been removed from Adam Jensen's life. Driven by the conviction of never having a choice taken from him again and using his newfound power, his need for answers will unravel the truth behind a conspiracy rooted in the foundation of the world around him as it incites a new revolution.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution follows up on the critically acclaimed Deus EX and Deus Ex: Invisible War as the the third game in the strategic sci-fi action series. When a black ops team breaks in and kills the scientists Adam were hired to protect as a guard of one of America's most experimental biotechnology firms, everything you thought you knew about your job changes. At a time when scientific advancements are routinely turning athletes, soldiers and spies into super-enhanced beings, someone is working very hard to ensure mankind's evolution follows a particular path. You need to discover why -- because the decisions you take and the choices you make will be the only things that can determine mankind's future.

Prequel to everyone's favorite game in 2000.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings(PC):
The second installment in the RPG saga about the Witcher, Geralt of Rivia, features a thoroughly engrossing, mature storyline defining new standards for thought-provoking, non-linear game narration. In addition to an epic story, the game features an original, brutal combat system that uniquely combines tactical elements with dynamic action.

The best western, fantasy RPG released this year!!! (We're all trying to forget Dragon Age 2, right?)

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword(Wii):
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword introduces full motion control enabled by the Wii MotionPlus accessory, which synchronizes player movements with Link's actions while offering intuitive play control.
With the Wii MotionPlus accessory, every movement of Link's sword matches the player's motion with exact precision. If players motion left to right, Link swings from left to right. The precision play control is applied to enemies as well, as players must contemplate strategy when battling opponents that actively try to defend against attacks.

The first, fully realized(with motion controls) Zelda game for the Wii.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3(PC, PS3, Wii, 360):
The world stands on the brink, and Makarov is intent on bringing civilization to its knees. In this darkest hour, are you willing to do what is necessary?

Co-developed by Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer Games, Modern Warfare 3 delivers a full assault on gamers' senses, including an intense single-player campaign that picks up immediately following the events of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and escalates into World War 3, as well as groundbreaking upgrades to the beloved Special Ops like the all-new Survival Mode. Special Ops serves as the perfect springboard to Modern Warfare 3's re-imagined multiplayer, featuring the series' trademark visceral gun-on-gun combat, a revamped pointstreak system with the introduction of "Strike Packages," devastating new modes like "Kill Confirmed" and other gameplay enhancements, new features and a bevy of new weapons, equipment, and perks.

The second sequel to the fourth sequel in the Call of Duty line of games!!!

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception(PS3):
Fortune hunter Nathan Drake is catapulted headlong into an adventure that takes him on a daring trek into the heart of the Arabian Desert in a search for the fabled "Atlantis of the Sands." This journey pits him and his mentor Victor Sullivan against the occult treachery of a shadowy clandestine organization and its ruthless leader. When the terrible secrets of this lost city are unearthed, Drake's quest descends into a desperate bid for survival that strains the limits of his endurance and forces him to confront his deepest fears.

The sequel to one of the best PS3 games ever. Did it live up to those lofty expectations?

Battlefield 3(PC, PS3, 360):
 Prepare for full-scale war with Battlefield 3, the third major evolution of the long-running online battle franchise. Using the power of Frostbite 2 game engine technology, Battlefield 3 delivers superior visual quality, a grand sense of scale, massive destruction, dynamic audio and incredibly lifelike character animations. As bullets whiz by, walls crumble, and explosions throw you to the ground, the battlefield feels more alive and interactive than ever before.

In Battlefield 3, players step into the role of the elite U.S. Marines where they will experience heart-pounding single player missions and competitive multiplayer actions ranging across diverse locations from around the globe including Europe, Middle-East and North America.

These games aren't really my cup of tea, but everyone else seems to love them!!!!!

Batman: Arkham City(PC, PS3, 360):
Batman: Arkham City builds upon the intense, atmospheric foundation of Batman: Arkham Asylum, sending players soaring into Arkham City, the new maximum security home for all of Gotham City's thugs, gangsters and insane criminal masterminds.

Set inside the heavily fortified walls of a sprawling district in the heart of Gotham City, this highly anticipated sequel introduces a brand-new story that draws together a new all-star cast of classic characters and murderous villains from the Batman universe, as well as a vast range of new and enhanced gameplay features to deliver the ultimate experience as the Dark Knight.

Sequel to the best superhero game ever, did it live up to the high expectations set by the original??

Xenoblade Chronicles(Wii):
Join the battle for Bionis to repel the invasion of a terrifying mechanical army and uncover the secrets of a mystical sword called the Monado in Xenoblade Chronicles. This game takes you to the stunning lands of Bionis and Mechonis where the vast landscapes result in over 100 hours of immersive gameplay. Enjoy the freedom of being able to reach whatever you can see in the distance, exploring and plotting your way around the many quests.

The game that makes you glad you owned a Wii this year???(not even released in North America)

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim(PC, PS3, 360):
 The Empire of Tamriel is on the edge. The High King of Skyrim has been murdered. Alliances form as claims to the throne are made. In the midst of this conflict, a far more dangerous, ancient evil is awakened. Dragons, long lost to the passages of the Elder Scrolls, have returned to Tamriel. The future of Skyrim, even the Empire itself, hangs in the balance as they wait for the prophesized Dragonborn to come; a hero born with the power of The Voice, and the only one who can stand amongst the dragons.

The sims meet RPG? Idk, do whatever the fuck you want in this game. Be a blacksmith, go skin leather, do whatever the fuck you want, I don't care. Kill a dragon, kill a giant, like I said... I don't give a fuck.

Assassin's Creed: Revelation(PC, PS3, 360):
Assassin's Creed Revelations presents the most immersive experience available in the series to date and the culmination of Ezio's adventure. In Assassinâ??s Creed Revelations, master assassin Ezio Auditore walks in the footsteps of his legendary mentor, Altaïr, on a journey of discovery and revelation. It is a perilous path â?? one that will take Ezio to Constantinople, the heart of the Ottoman Empire, where a growing army of Templars threatens to destabilize the region

In addition to Ezioâ??s award-winning story, the acclaimed online multiplayer experience from Assassin's Creed Brotherhood returns, refined and expanded, with more modes, more maps and more characters that allow players to test their assassin skills against others from around the world. The latest chapter in the Assassinâ??s Creed saga also includes revolutionary gameplay, allowing players to manipulate the construct of Desmondâ??s memories and the Animus to decipher the mysteries of his past and gain insight into the future..

The fifth game in the trilogy, did it live up to your expectations or did it leave you hanging?

Dark Souls(PS3, 360):
The spiritual sequel to Demons Souls, the action RPG Dark Souls is set in a rich, dark fantasy universe. Intense action within the dungeons, encounters with terrifying enemies and innovative online features combine for a unique gaming experience. Dark Souls' world breaks down barriers with a fluid design encourages exploration and promotes an adaptation experience. At a time when the players come face to face with terrifying enemies and find new areas, the infallible system and reward challenge takes possession of everything to offer a sense of achievement without equal.

Sequel to game most likely to be played if you hate yourself!!!

Gears of War 3(360):
Gears of War 3 is the spectacular conclusion to one of the most memorable and celebrated sagas in video games. Developed by Epic Games exclusively for Xbox 360, Gears of War 3 plunges you into a harrowing tale of hope, survival, and brotherhood.

In Gears of War 3, fight on as Marcus Fenix, the grizzled war hero and leader of Delta Squad. Eighteen months after the fall of the last human city, the war against the Locust rages on. Meanwhile, deep beneath the surface, a fearsome new threat is infecting the planet from within. With survivors scattered and civilization in ruins, time is running out for Marcus and his comrades as they fight to save the human race.

The most anticipated conclusion to this epic trilogy.... wait a second, who am I kidding? People just play this for the online multiplayer.

Saints Row 3(PC. PS3, 360):
Years after taking Stilwater for their own, the Third Street Saints have evolved from street gang to household brand name, with Saints sneakers, Saints energy drinks and Johnny Gat bobble head dolls all available at a store near you. The Saints are kings of Stilwater, but their celebrity status has not gone unnoticed. The Syndicate, a legendary criminal fraternity with pawns in play all over the globe, has turned its eye on the Saints and demands tribute.

Refusing to kneel to the Syndicate, you take the fight to a new city, playing out the most outlandish gameplay scenarios ever seen in Saints Row: The Third, the third chapter in the blockbuster open-city action series. Strap it on.

Everything GTA wishes it could still be.

Radiant Historia:(DS)
Radiant Historia is a Japanese-style RPG created, in part, by several of the key designers behind Radiata Stories. Set in the world of Vancool, the game has you playing as Stok, a spy with the intelligence agency of the nation of Alicetel. Your country is at war with neighboring Gran org, whose ruler Queen Protea is blamed for the drying of the land and a strange disease that turns people into sand. The game begins when Stok and his subordinates are sent into Gran org territory to rescue a captured spy. They end up getting caught themselves. Stok suffers a great injury and briefly enters the world of Historia, where he's given the ability to travel through time and space. You'll be using this ability as you play through Radiant Historia. The game has you traveling through time, and also through space as you switch off between parallel worlds.

Chrono Cross lite on the DS.

Bastion:(PC, 360)
In this original action role-playing game set in a lush, imaginative world, players must create and fight for civilization's last refuge as a mysterious narrator marks their every move. The goal of Bastion is to construct a safe haven in the wake of the Calamity, a cataclysmic event that shattered the world into a series of floating islands. As players journey into the wild unknown in search of survivors and supplies, they will confront strange beasts, forge an array of customizable weapons, and gain new powers from specially-brewed spirits. The entire play experience of Bastion is dynamically narrated, gradually revealing a rich backstory as the narrator reacts to the player's actions in real time.

?Portal 2(PC, PS3, 360):?
The highly anticipated sequel to 2007's Game of the Year, Portal 2 is a hilariously mind-bending adventure that challenges you to use wits over weaponry in a funhouse of diabolical science.

Using a highly experimental portal device, you'll once again face off against a lethally inventive, power-mad A.I. named GLaDOS. And this time you won't be alone. Meet an expanded cast of characters as you think your way through dangerous, never-before-seen areas of Aperture Laboratories.

Break the laws of spatial physics in ways you never thought possible, with a wider variety of portal puzzles and an expansive story that spans a single player and co-operative game mode.

Feel free to break up your votes based on system and then having an over all game of the year.

I realize this may be a little soon for people who just got their hands on Zelda, but otherwise all of these other games most people will have played to completion already.

I'll wait to write my own vote til someone else actually chimes in, seeing as these forums don't actually let you double post. If I'm missing a game somewhere in this gigantic mess of a post, let me know and I'll squeeze it in.

Jump to Post

11.23.2011 5:07am

JSG
Registered Member

Of those games, Batman is the only one that interests me.  I haven't played the rest and really have no desire to.

I think Game of the Year this year is either Batman or Dragon Age 2.  Both of them were fan-fucking-tastic.  King of Fighters XIII has a shot, too, but as it only just came out today it's too early to judge.  I'd need more time with it but it's definitely proving to be what I want in a fighter.

I actually didn't play very many games this year (very few things that came out looked good), but of the eight or so I did, yeah, Batman, Dragon Age 2, and possibly KOF.

Jump to Post

11.23.2011 5:17am
Thread Creator

Sturm
Registered Member

I didn't personally play Dragon Age 2, but I thought most of the fan base was disappointed in it, that's why I didn't include it....

My vote really came between Uncharted 3 and Arkham City. 2 years ago, when the previous installments in these series came out, I believed these were the best games I had ever played. So when the sequels to both of these games were coming out with in a pretty short period of each other, I was pretty excited.

When it came down to it, Arkham City made leap and bounds from the previous installment in its series. Where as Uncharted merely made small improvements. So Arkham City is the game of the year for me. As soon as I finished it, I couldn't wait to begin new game plus and with each subsequent release of new characters for the challenge rooms, I'm immediately on it and playing through the challenge rooms again. This game makes me Batman, I love every instance of it. While there is some complaints about the main story line being rushed and feeling compacted, I feel that's just a reflection of the enjoyment and pleasure people are getting out of the game and they can't stop themselves from playing. Always feeling the need to press on.

Jump to Post

11.23.2011 5:20am

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Skyrim without questions

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

11.23.2011 5:21am

Testament
Shamshot

Xenoblade Chronicles , easily.

I've only played that and Uncharted 3 from the selections...but, honestly, the only other game up there I'm even remotely interested in, is Skyward Sword.

Go Monolithsoft!

Jump to Post

11.23.2011 5:33am

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

I guess many people here haven't played Bastion.

What's wrong with you all?

If you haven't guessed, pending anything else, that'll be my game of the year.

Which is a shame for Radiant Historia, as it was the long running leader until Bastion came around.

Jump to Post

11.23.2011 5:36am

KyleIII
Registered Member

It's a bit premature for me to name a game of the year, since there's a few games that have come out recently that I haven't played yet. A few of the stand outs for me, though:

Best Indie game - Atom Zombie Smasher: Got this game from one of the Humble Bundles. I was expecting a bland zombie shoot-em-up, but instead got a really well made RTS/turn-based hybrid with an incredible artistic style and really addicting gameplay. I've put enough hours into it that I almost feel bad getting it as cheaply as I did.

Best DLC - Fallout: New Vegas: This is what all DLC should be. They're well designed, well written, packed with content, and none of them feel like they were cut from the main game to be sold seperately. They're all unique in terms of setting, visual style, and gameplay and do a great job of differentiating themselves not only from each other but from the main quest. They even have an episodic arc and an overall narrative theme. For $40 (if you buy them all full price), you're not only getting more than what you'd expect out of an expansion pack, you're getting more content than is usually included in a full game.

Best multiplayer - Assassins Creed Revelations: No surprise here. Brotherhood is the only multiplayer game I've played with any regularity in the last few years, and it looks like I'll be playing this one until the next iteration. They kept the same unique predator/prey gameplay and only improved/added to it. I'm still only about halfway through the singleplayer, but this game could definitely be a contender for my game of the year. Just like Brotherhood, I was wary of having another game in the series so soon, but got addicted to it as soon as I started it up. This series just hits all the right buttons with me. I do admit I am glad that next year will be the last yearly iteration, though.

Game of the Year (so far) - The Witcher 2: I loved the first game, but this one was a step up in almost every way. The combat was completely revamped, turning it into a visceral and challenging action-RPG. The visuals were gorgeous. The writing and storyline was top notch. Most of all the choice and consequence aspect was incredible. Entire portions of the game take place in completely different areas with completely different characters, quests, and revelations depending on how you play earlier parts of the game. I really hope the 360 version does this game justice, because more people need to experience it.

Games I haven't played yet that I plan on getting/playing sometime in the near future: Arkham City, Saints Row the Third, Skyrim

Jump to Post

11.23.2011 5:36am
Thread Creator

Sturm
Registered Member

CaButler said:

I guess many people here haven't played Bastion.

What's wrong with you all?

If you haven't guessed, pending anything else, that'll be my game of the year.

Which is a shame for Radiant Historia, as it was the long running leader until Bastion came around.

Meant to include Radiant Historia, Bastion is something I'm mainly ignorant of. But suffice to say, this was a pretty good year for gaming.

Jump to Post

11.23.2011 5:43am

KyleIII
Registered Member

One more!

Most entertaining game I never played - Dragon Age 2: I don't plan on ever buying this game, but I probably got more enjoyment out of the leadup and fallout surrounding this game's release than I ever could have by actually playing it, especially seeing how insane the lead writer is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMcVZQI6ybw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYfhTbNM-2Q

Jump to Post

11.23.2011 5:46am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

It was kind of hilarious watching the internet bitchery for a game that was only really different from its predecessor in the most superficial ways. Can't wait for the same kneejerk reactions to Mass Effect 3!

Jump to Post

11.23.2011 5:59am

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

Every online review publication will declare a winner, so doubtless there will be multiple GOYs.

I really have no interest in it, but I guess I'll predict Uncharted 3 as the consensus winner. That's mostly due to the critical boredom / backlash against FPS games. Skyward Sword might score an upset or two, but most people consider it as limited by the system it runs on.

I got bored by Uncharted 3's lack of gameplay 3 hours in and haven't picked it back up yet.

Jump to Post

11.23.2011 6:01am
Thread Creator

Sturm
Registered Member

Atma Weapon said:

Every online review publication will declare a winner, so doubtless there will be multiple GOYs.

I really have no interest in it, but I guess I'll predict Uncharted 3 as the consensus winner. That's mostly due to the critical boredom / backlash against FPS games. Skyward Sword might score an upset or two, but most people consider it as limited by the system it runs on.

Fuck the publications!! This is meant to be your own personal Game of the Year.

Jump to Post

11.23.2011 6:04am

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I honestly haven't played enough of the blockbuster games this year to make a good judgement. And I'm strongly biased against FPS.

Jump to Post

11.23.2011 6:08am

Ashilyn
Career GM

The lack of Deus Ex 3 in this list disturbs me greatly. Also,w asn't Halo: Reach last year?

Jump to Post

11.23.2011 6:10am
Thread Creator

Sturm
Registered Member

Ashilyn said:

The lack of Deus Ex 3 in this list disturbs me greatly. Also,w asn't Halo: Reach last year?

Good points, for some reason I thought Halo: Reach was this year.

But again, like I said, all around good year for gaming.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter