Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Mass Effect 3 beta leaked.

< Prev 1 2 Next >

11.05.2011 12:08pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Warning: HEAVY SPOILERS.

https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451016

The E3 Beta leaked, including multiplayer. Fans are going absolutely ape shit crazy over the gameplay modes.

Action Mode: For those who want to emphasize action and combat and minimize story management. Action mode will set automatic replies in conversation and a normal difficulty.

Story Mode: For those who want to emphasize story immersion and minimize combat pressure. Story mode will set manually-selectable replies in conversation and a minimal combat difficulty.

RPG Mode: For those who want to explore both realms of story and combat. RPG mode will set manually-selectable replies in conversation and a normal combat difficulty.

Default is Action Mode, so it's been claimed that Bioware are turning Mass Effect into a Halo type game.

Jump to Post

11.05.2011 1:05pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

As long as I can choose which mode to play, I don't care what anything other than RPG Mode will offer. If some people don't want to go through the full experience, it's their loss.

Jump to Post

11.05.2011 1:36pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Big Tall said:

As long as I can choose which mode to play, I don't care what anything other than RPG Mode will offer. If some people don't want to go through the full experience, it's their loss.

I always laugh when people get up in arms about OPTIONS.  Like, OMG THEY PUT IN A SUPER EASY ONE-HANDED TWO BUTTON MODE ARGHLRBLARGLEBLARG.  Don't play with that mode on.  Just because it's there doesn't mean you're contractually obligated to use it. Use the mode you like and shut the fuck up.

Also, the shift in focus from the sloppy RPG-heavy combat of ME1 to the streamlined shooter-heavy combat of ME2 is one of the biggest improvements between sequels that I can think of off the top of my head.  I don't see a problem with moving even farther in that direction as long as the story/character quality remains intact.  It's not like they've got a bucket labeled ME3 and they can only fit in so much from the other buckets labeled QUALITY STORY and QUALITY GAMEPLAY.

Jump to Post

11.05.2011 2:31pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

Damn, I wish I had done that xbox preview thing now.  Oh well, I can wait it out.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

11.05.2011 5:17pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

reido said:

Don't play with that mode on.  Just because it's there doesn't mean you're contractually obligated to use it. Use the mode you like and shut the fuck up.

Agreed, but the fanboys are bitching because Action Mode is the default, and Bioware have dropped features from their games before, using their stats to prove only 10% of people use that option.

So the fanboys are leaping to conclusions that no-one will select "Story Mode" or "RPG Mode" and that the next series of Mass Effect games won't have any choices. It's a leap, but not entirely unfounded given Bioware's history.

Bioware are set to make a press release in the next few days related to it because the backlash has been nasty.
Honestly Bioware fans are as bad as Gamecube Nintendo fans.

"Female Shep. Biotics only. No Medigel. FINAL DESTINATION".

Jump to Post

11.05.2011 5:43pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

As long as I'm playing RPG mode I don't care. The default in every FF is "slow ass battles" (I increase the battle speed each time) and I would find the games unplayable at the slower setting, but that doesn't mean the option wasn't there ecery time. I think more games should have options like this. God I'd have loved if games like Persona 3 and 4 had the "story mode" setting like that.

Jump to Post

11.05.2011 8:55pm

Crisium
N/A

Heh, I notice how this one is in General Gaming and not RPG.  You wouldn't have done that with a thread about the first game. ;)

I guess Action mode is an appeal to the poor, hudled masses who play MW3 exclusively.  These users will of course play the default and like the focus on shooting things.  As long as the RPG mode isn't more toned down than ME2 I'll be fine with that mode.  ME2 had a pretty good balance of Action with some RPG, but any less RPG would really disappoint me and in a way I'd like a little more RPG than 2 had to offer, so I hope they don't cut back any more.

Jump to Post

11.05.2011 10:15pm

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

I'll just ignore Action mode, no problem there.  Story mode is a feature I'd like to see more often in WRPG's.  These games sometimes make me want to play through them 6+ times, because I want to play different races, do different romances, make different choices...not because I want (or have time) to play through the entirety of the game that many times.  I wish I could do some no combat runs of Dragon Age: Origins.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

11.06.2011 1:27am

Crisium
N/A

I dunno about DA:O, but in general isn't that what cheats are for?  Kill every enemy in 1 hit, move onto next story segment, repeat.

Jump to Post

11.06.2011 5:02am

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

I don't think WRPG's tend to have that sort of cheat code in general.  You could probably find a mod for it on the PC, but I play 360.

Jump to Post

11.06.2011 7:35am

Southern Comfort
silently judging all of you

There are command-line codes for the PC versions of ME and ME2, but they're along the lines of "have some extra experience points!" and "Have an arbitrary piece of neat equipment!".  The god mode cheat baked into Unreal Engine 3 is still there, but it's glitchy as hell and can easily make the games unwinnable.  Even trainers giving you one hit kills and no damage warn about horrific bugs, and those are (at least theoretically) external code.  ME and ME2 just don't play nice about making the games casually easy to beat.

I'm so looking forwards to ME3.  I just hope I have enough computer to run it.

Jump to Post

11.06.2011 2:51pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

So here's a question:  when they say action mode is "default" does that mean 1) You have to find the option to change it manually or 2) It just happens to be the top option of the three-point menu that you have to see every time you start a new game?  Because 1) is bad, but 2) is just splitting hairs. 

Jump to Post

11.06.2011 5:52pm

Demon
Registered Member

Crisium said:
I guess Action mode is an appeal to the poor, hudled masses who play MW3 exclusively.  These users will of course play the default and like the focus on shooting things.  As long as the RPG mode isn't more toned down than ME2 I'll be fine with that mode.  ME2 had a pretty good balance of Action with some RPG, but any less RPG would really disappoint me and in a way I'd like a little more RPG than 2 had to offer, so I hope they don't cut back any more.

It looks to me like it's a pure cashgrab, and nothing else.  Which is what I'd expect from the game's publisher - the fact that it's Origin-exclusive on digital download just makes me NOT want this game.  Which is sad, as I've played the shit out of the other two.

Jump to Post

11.06.2011 6:08pm

Sturm
Registered Member

I understand the concern that adding this option will lead to Bioware possibly using it as evidence that people want action mode and make it the only mode in future games, but besides that, is it so wrong for a game company to want their game to appeal to a broader fan base?

Maybe a FPS type gamer will pick up the game, go right into action mode and enjoy the shit out of the game. For a second play through maybe they'll try a different mode and if they enjoy that, that would open the door to more RPG based games.

Just saying, I don't see the actual negative in having the option.

Jump to Post

11.06.2011 8:33pm

KyleIII
Registered Member

Have they actually said those options will be in the full game? I got the impression it was something put in for the demo when I first read about it, but I haven't been following news about this game too closely.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter