Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Metal Gear Rising Demo/Impressions

01.31.2013 3:43am

Zubis
Registered Member

Did any of Raiden's antics in MGS4 look even remotely stealthy?

Platinum have been saying for years, literally, years that stealth isn't the point of the game. Hell, one of their quotes is "We would like to change your definition of what a Metal Gear game is."

Jump to Post

01.31.2013 4:03am

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

I don't think it needed changing. I love a good action game. I've played through all the DMCs, Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, Bayonetta, etc. Based on the demo, Rising is disappointing as an action game, and the only thing that I thought it could do to improve on its inferior action elements is to include SOME element of stealth. But nope. Just lots of needlessly difficult to control whacking. If blade mode were more like slashing in Okami, it would be cool. But it's not.

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

02.20.2013 9:13am

The Hulk
Good Boy

So I guess this is out now.  Worth playing?

Jump to Post

02.20.2013 10:35am

Som
Genitals are Funny

From what i have read, the gameplay is amazingly fun but everything else about it is average.

Also apparently there is a lil bit of sneaking.

Jump to Post

02.20.2013 11:20am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

It's apparently only 4 to 6 hours ... a bit on the short side. I would think the game definatley would have benefited if they added some multiplayer.

Jump to Post

02.20.2013 12:37pm

Som
Genitals are Funny

4-6 hours of gameplay. That means in MGS math there's about 20 hours of cut-scenes as well

Jump to Post

02.20.2013 3:11pm
 (Edited on 02.20.2013 at 3:18pm)

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

I rented it and so far it is fun. There are other weapons you can use, but it's just faster and easier to use your sword. The spawn rates aren't ridiculous, but the boss battles are pretty tough on anything but easy mode. There is an auto parry/ block mode if you like. The gameplay is really quick and has you going from point A to B throughout, but doesn't feel like a corridor game. The cut scenes aren't abysmally long, but it took about 15 minutes to get it updated and installed even before I could play. So far, it seems like a standalone game, where you don't have to have knowledge of any other MGS. Feels like FFXIII in the environments, and DMC sword mode in the fighting.

Jump to Post

02.21.2013 8:21am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Coolsetzer said:

I rented it and so far it is fun. There are other weapons you can use, but it's just faster and easier to use your sword. The spawn rates aren't ridiculous, but the boss battles are pretty tough on anything but easy mode. There is an auto parry/ block mode if you like. The gameplay is really quick and has you going from point A to B throughout, but doesn't feel like a corridor game. The cut scenes aren't abysmally long, but it took about 15 minutes to get it updated and installed even before I could play. So far, it seems like a standalone game, where you don't have to have knowledge of any other MGS. Feels like FFXIII in the environments, and DMC sword mode in the fighting.

Kind of makes me feel what would have happened if Platinum Games was given this project initially and not midway. Probably would have been a complete package.

Regardless I'll pass at a full SRP ... and wait for a price drop or buy it used.

Jump to Post

02.21.2013 3:39pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

I find the game itself to be pretty enjoyable, though I do need to ask Raiden's VA (still the same guy) to realy stop, because he's trying too hard to sound all gruff.

And to be honest, I think a different VA would have helped with the character in this game.  Nothing agains the original, but he just sounds silly.

That said, the game itself is fun, in my opinion.  No real frustration to speak of and the game, while having stealth elements, treates itself more as a hack-n-slash game, which I'm fine with.

Also, Bladewolf is my favorite character of the game so far.  I don't know why, but I have this thing for snarky robot sidekicks.

Jump to Post

02.23.2013 3:09am
 (Edited on 02.23.2013 at 3:35am)

Zubis
Registered Member

Just beat the game. Overall I thought it was a good game, not as short as people say.

My only complaints are the parry system and the last few cutscenes which are just plain stupid, which killed the game for me frankly.

Oh, one more complaint.

FUCK THE LAST BOSS JESUS H CHRiST WHO DESIGNED THIS SHIT.

Jump to Post

02.23.2013 3:19am

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

^It wouldn't be a MGS game unless the last part wasn't batshit WTF lol. I'm on the second country and am enjoying it. This game didn't deserve the bad press it got.

Jump to Post

02.23.2013 4:18am

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

Coolsetzer said:

^It wouldn't be a MGS game unless the last part wasn't batshit WTF lol. I'm on the second country and am enjoying it. This game didn't deserve the bad press it got.

it got bad press?  Most of the press I've read said it was a good game.

Jump to Post

02.23.2013 4:09pm

Zubis
Registered Member

It's getting 8 or 9 in most reviews. That's certainly not bad.

But yeah, the last part is definitely batshit (they even say so in a line of dialogue). It just feels a bit tacked on...it's clearly a Platinum contribution, not Konami.

By the way, it's more stealthy than I realised. S Rank in battles sometimes requires you to be 100% stealthy. There's also a few codec mentions if you choose to be stealthy or not. I've also used the cardboard box in this game more than I have in any other MGS game.

Oh and that final boss I mentioned earlier became far easier when I actually went back through chapters and collected some powerups.

I hope there will be a sequel - not because the story demands it (it's self contained fyi), but it's a damn good game and deserves one.

Jump to Post

02.24.2013 7:20am

The Hulk
Good Boy

I gave it a about an hour last night, wasn't greatly impressed.  Parry system is a bit tricky itself but super tricky when that camera is going all over the place of it's own accord.  QTEs and "blade mode" are the usual flashy nothings that I'm so tired of in games now.  Story's not even worth talking about, I quickly began skipping all the cutscenes....meh

I'm not sure I like video games anymore.

Jump to Post

02.24.2013 4:53pm

resare
Exceptional narcissist

It took me a little while to really enjoy it, mostly because parrying's a hassle and also the game dumps you into some really ridiculous fights that seem ten times as difficult as anything else you've come across (i.e. those three fucking mechs after you save the kid in the sewers). The game's much more enoyable when you're just slashing away at the grunts.

The plot's flimsy as hell, I find myself only paying attention to the brief snippets about past MGS games. I'll stick with it through to the end though, providing I can beat Monsoon and not ragequit.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter