Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Oh, Sweet Nostalgia

< Prev 1 2 Next >

10.16.2011 5:14am
Thread Creator

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

So I've been playing Final Fantasy VI, Super Mario RPG, and Chrono Trigger all on my hacked Wii this month and I have been just completely overcome with dripping juicy nostalgia.  I usually just emulate or play on my PSP (aka emulate on the go) and still enjoy the games but playing on my nice large HD tv with an actual controller is just the bees knees.  I seriously can't get as much thrill out of any new game as I can by running a train on some old school gems. 

So what do you like to dust off at least once a year-ish to remind you that feelings are real and games used to be better when you were a kid?

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

10.16.2011 5:24am

Ladile
Medic!

My most replayed games in no particular order:

FF Tactics
FF VI
Star Ocean 2
Baldur's Gate 2

Jump to Post

10.16.2011 5:53am

Luna
dangerous lady

I've been playing Valkyrie Profile again, and it feels immensely nostalgic and lovely. I also recently revisited Lunar (via the PSP remake) and Seiken Densetsu III. Loads of fun. Other older games I enjoy digging out from time to time are Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Soul Blazer, FFVI, FFV, Illusion of Gaia, and Legend of Mana, not to mention non-RPGs Super Mario World and Actraiser. I ought to start up SO2 again sometime soon too.

Jump to Post

10.16.2011 5:57am

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

VP, Lunar and Guardian Heroes, which was released on the XBLA this past week.

Jump to Post

10.16.2011 7:30am
 (Edited on 10.16.2011 at 10:00am)

Testament
Shamshot

NES
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden II

SNES
FFVI
CT
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island

Shinobi (arcade) is chock full of nostalgia, and thanks to Sonic's UGC for PS3, I can play it whenever I get the craving.

Jump to Post

10.16.2011 3:43pm

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Im replaying KotOR right now. Is that old enough to be Nostalgia?

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

10.16.2011 5:53pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

Final Fantasy 4 and 6, Chrono Trigger, and Secret of Mana for me.

Jump to Post

10.16.2011 9:11pm

tenken
Hooligan

There aren't really any games I go back to just for "nostalgia's sake", but I often get nostalgic feelings when I go back and play old games - maybe in remembering how they used to be cutting-edge or how they captivated me when they came out.

As an example, early this year I finally got around to playing the original Grandia for the first time.  I loved Grandia 2's battle system and wanted another hot helping of that, but I remembered watching my brother play various parts of Grandia back when it came out, and incessantly mocking the terrible voice acting and cheesy story (I mean, cheesy even by video game standards).  But when I played it this year, the voice acting was...still bad, but in kind of a memorable way, and the story's cornball pep and pluck actually made me nostalgic, like "Remember when an RPG could be about something as simple as going on an adventure and meeting some new friends and saving the world?"  It ended up being a really enjoyable experience for me, as part of that golden generation of RPGs carrying forward its spirit into the present.  Grandia 2 still edges it out, though, because.....well....Millenia.

I'm at that dangerous crossroads where I actually looked up copies of Legend of Legaia on eBay.

Jump to Post

10.16.2011 11:11pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

tenken said:

I'm at that dangerous crossroads where I actually looked up copies of Legend of Legaia on eBay.

I found a copy of that game in a box a while ago. I wonder if I still have it.

Jump to Post

10.17.2011 3:28am

FenixDown
The King's orders are absolute

Not sure how much of this is related to nostalgia, but I do revisit FFIV-VI and Chrono Trigger periodically, as well as Super Mario RPG and occasionally I get an itch to put in Skies of Arcadia Legends again. I also replay non-RPGs like some of the early Mega Man games, and Super Mario 3, and the NES and SNES Legend of Zeldas. Oh, and Donkey Kong Country 2.

Let's Play Chrono Trigger
Let's Play The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Let's Play Final Fantasy VI

Jump to Post

10.17.2011 4:03am

maximus asinus
Registered Member

I've been pretty limited on what I can emulate (PSX, SNES, N64) but ever since I bought my Atrix I've been using it to replay a few gems I've missed or missed out on. It is actually pretty fantastic because of the HDMI support and rooting of my phone I can use a controller and play it on my TV just like a console. I just finished a playthrough of FFVIII and Grandia, setting my sights on FFVI and Tactics next.

Jump to Post

10.17.2011 7:03pm

Inquisitor
Jericholic V2.0

I usually try to play one old school Final Fantasy or SNES RPG a year. Mainly to remember that Square wasn't always one big polished turd. Last year was FFVII and wow. What an experience that was. That game has held up remarkably well over time outside of the graphics. 

Jump to Post

10.17.2011 8:57pm
 (Edited on 10.17.2011 at 9:04pm)

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I used to replay each of my favorites once a year, but I am so busy catching up with new games these days, since I am on a roll of great ones, I haven't had time to replay many old games these days.  The last game I had the time to replay was Legend of Mana, about 7-8 months ago, and I did that because I only did one play through previously back when the game first came out and felt a replay was well desrved. I realized a lot about it, namely that it's by far the best Mana game of all time.

Legend of Legaia is the only RPG I own and liked that I don't still have a copy of. My brother let his friend borrow it without my permission and I never got it back. ugh.

Jump to Post

10.17.2011 9:35pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

That's funny, I'm actually running through Super MarioRPG currently. Started up a few days ago, right now I'm in Booster's Tower.

Jump to Post

10.18.2011 1:57am

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

About once a year or two I do a playthrough of Dragon Quest IV.  I'm also going through FFIV (original North America SNES release) casually on my cell phone.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter