Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

PC Gaming Isn't Dead

09.12.2011 9:53pm

KyleIII
Registered Member

I've become primarily a PC gamer these days. I actually have both my 360 and my PC hooked up to the same monitor, so that isn't a factor for me. I used to stick with consoles for a lot genres, since I preferred controllers to keyboard/mouse for most games, but now that native 360 support is becoming increasingly common I'm finding little reason to buy console versions anymore. I'm also a big fan of mods and I can't imagine playing certain games, especially RPGs, without them.

I think one of the major reasons I've gotten frustrated with the 360 is how restrictive they are with how developers can update their games and how much they can charge with DLC. Sony's much better, from my understanding, but I still prefer a platform where the developer can simply do what they want, when they want. Thanks to Steam sales, I've managed to migrate a good portion of my console collection over to the PC, and I'm finding less and less reason to game on anything else these days. Although as long as Rock Band exists I'll never give up my 360 completely.

My specs:

Core 2 Duo - 2.53 GHz

Radeon 5770

4 GB ram

My monitor is actually an older HDTV, with a native resolution of 1360x768, so I usually play games in that resolution, which means I can usually turn graphics near max on most games without any issues.

Jump to Post

09.13.2011 4:16am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

While we're on monitors, mine's a 19" widescreen LCD with native 1440x900 resolution (16:10 ratio). It can be kind of a pain to run older games in widescree n, though there's great sites out there with step-by-step FAQ's on how to run games in widescreen without stretching proportions. If it simply isn't possible, like with older Blizzard games, I just stick to the native 4:3 resolution. Ultimately I'd rather have something in the correct (modded) aspect ratio than filling my monitor and stretching out stuff.

But I love playing KOTOR2 with mods AND in widescreen, especially with the Restoration patch.

Jump to Post

09.13.2011 10:32am

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

<span style="color: #888888;">Also, my somewhat beast of a rig means that I can amp the graphics on any modern game. not that i'm a graphics whore but seriously, seeing the sharp, crisp lines of Dragon Age 2 is making me go :( when I play my PS2.</span>

<span style="color: #888888;">
Since everyone's putting out their system specs, might as well put mine out:</span>

• <span style="color: #888888;">Intel Quad Core i5 2.80 Mhz</span>
  • <span style="color: #888888;">4 GB RAM</span>
  • <span style="color: #888888;">Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1024 MB</span>
  • <span style="color: #888888;">500 GB (system) and 1 TB (storage and game) HDD
    </span>
<span style="color: #888888;">Displayed on a 20" Samsung LED monitor.</span>

<span style="color: #888888;">It's basically ready for Battlefield 3, Arkham City, and Skyrim. :D</span>

</span>

<span style="color: #888888;">===</span>

<span style="color: #888888;">"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"
</span>

Jump to Post

09.26.2011 6:06pm
Thread Creator (Edited on 09.27.2011 at 12:27am)

Crisium
N/A

Those of us with a BF3 ready rig can see the comparison to the PS3 version:

<a title="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGbo50Ar420"; href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGbo50Ar420"; target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGbo50Ar420<;/a>Hint: Video is funny.

Jump to Post

09.27.2011 3:00pm

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

<span style="color: #888888;">I won't lie: I lol'ed.</span>

</span>

<span style="color: #888888;">===</span>

<span style="color: #888888;">"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"
</span>

Jump to Post

09.27.2011 3:48pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;"><a href="/forums/profile/29">Crisium</a> said:</span>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGbo50Ar420

Hint: Video is funny.
Man, the PS3 graphics look AINCENT compared to the PC version.

Jump to Post

09.28.2011 7:09pm

Arckanghel
Pirate.

<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;"><a href="/forums/profile/29">Crisium</a> said:</span>

Hint: Video is funny.
Well played.

Jump to Post

09.29.2011 3:50pm

Seifer Almasy
Hipster Doofus

I've been playing a lot of PC games lately, and I tend to buy most of my multiplatform games on PC now unless the port is godawful. Playing on the PC is generally more comfortable since I've got a small ganglion cyst at the base of my thumb that starts hurting quite a bit if I use it too much. Plus, games just tend to look a lot nicer.

Specs:
Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz
8GB RAM (massive overkill)
Radeon HD 5770
22" Acer monitor (1680x1050)

I'll probably upgrade the video card at some point. It's a tad weak.

Jump to Post

09.29.2011 4:41pm

Milky Ore
Kickin' it old school

<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;"><a href="/forums/profile/29">Crisium</a> said:</span><br>Those of us with a BF3 ready rig can see the comparison to the PS3 version:

<br>

I don't know, the PS3 version has a brighter color palate and stronger lines. The PC version looks absolutely cluttered in comparison.

Jump to Post

09.30.2011 12:53am
Thread Creator

Crisium
N/A

Upgraded my rig for BF3.

AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.5GHz
GeForce GTX 460 1GB with a bit of an overclock

Runs the BF3 Beta at 1600x1024 at High Settings. I tried Ultra without AA, but I don't have enough RAM. I'm still on 32-bit so I can't use my full 4GB.

Jump to Post

10.02.2011 1:53am
 (Edited on 10.02.2011 at 3:38am)

Amer
pew pew pew

Installed the Battlefield 3 beta. It runs great for a few minutes, and then I start getting horrible slowdown. I more than meet the minimum requirements, and supposedly only my video card runs a little short of the recommended requirements, but it must be my maching causing the slowdown. I'm really disappointed, because when running normal it runs great, looks great.

I might try a few more things and see what happens. If this keeps happening I've gotta change my BF3 preorder to PS3 or 360.

Eh, apparently my great crime was running in fullscreen. Works well in windowed mode, which is what it defaulted to when i first installed it.� 

I dunno, makes enemies hard to see, obviously.� 

Jump to Post

10.02.2011 9:36pm
Thread Creator (Edited on 10.02.2011 at 9:51pm)

Crisium
N/A

Your CPU severely needs a good overclocking.  OC your CPU if you can.  You can run in fullscreen just fine if you lower your screen resolution and game settings down.  I dunno your laptop resolution, but if it's 16:9, play at 1280x720 and if it's 16:10 play at 1280x800.  With low settings you should be ok, but try to OC the cpu.

Btw, the 260M is not above the minimum requirements; it is roughly equal to them.  The GTX 260M is about equal to the 8800GT in performance.  The real GTX 260 is far faster.

Jump to Post

10.03.2011 3:34am
 (Edited on 10.03.2011 at 2:07pm)

Amer
pew pew pew

I'm well aware of the video card, I was just going based upon the test you can run on nvidia's webpage. I tried lowering the resolution and I still get the same problem.

I'm not going to overclock the CPU. I already had one laptop die due to heat issues. Asus even disabled their own overclocking software on this machine because they know the Quad Core can't take the heat in this case.

I guess I'll just get it on a console

Another lost PC sale, WAHHHHHH WONNNNNNNNNNNn. EDIT: I guess I'm just pissed, I play Shogun 2 on the highest settings. I just finished DXHR on the highest settings, Mass Effect 2, DA: O, Starcraft 2, etc. etc. etc. highest settings. Then suddenly I go from highest settings to not being able to run the game. I know these aren't the most graphic intestive games, but hell even Metro 2033 runs fantastic in DX10, the card doesn't support DX11. Maybe that's my problem. I'm not replacing a two year old laptop though just to play BF3. 

Installed the Beta one 360 and it's not too bad. Going from one to the other, it's not as crisp, but oh well. A lot more bugs though. Constantly crawling through the ground and shit.

Jump to Post

10.03.2011 5:36pm
Thread Creator

Crisium
N/A

Did you get the 285.38 Beta Drivers?

It may help.  Go to Nvidia's site and look for them.

Jump to Post

10.03.2011 5:44pm

Amer
pew pew pew

Yeah, I got them before I even installed the beta. I was kind of wondering if they might be part of the problem. I'm going to keep fiddling with it, I just need to find the time. 

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter