Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

So 6 years in who won the war?

12.10.2011 10:26pm

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

Didn't the PS2 outsell the PS3 for awhile? 

And much like the PS2's generation where the real winner was the GBA, I think the DS wins this generation.

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

12.10.2011 10:28pm

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

IM THE WINNER!

*Hugs his 360, PS3, PC, DS, PSP... and gently pats his Wii on the back*

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

12.10.2011 11:04pm

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

Zubis said:
For me personally it's still nothing more than an "Uncharted Machine", as I get all my games on 360 to play with friends.

For me it's the Heavy Rain Machine.  I've always been curious about that game, and it's about the only thing released on the PS3 and not the 360 that I really care about.  Otherwise, there's the perpetually in development FFXIII Vs. and the Vesperia version that never left Japan, and...NInja Gaiden Sigma...if someone handed me a PS3 for free, I suppose I'd make a point of trying Uncharted, but there's definitely not enough to buy it when I have a 360.

I can't speak directly to which is the best system, because I've only ever played the one.  The Wii at least has exclusives on it, but I had no desire for motion controls before everyone complained about waggle and the games not making good use of it.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

12.10.2011 11:43pm

Crisium
N/A

In terms of games I like, here's my logic:

There's a reason I sold my 360 and all its games in late 2009 for a PS3 instead.  My logic then "I'll miss the Halo's, Gears 3, and Fable 3".  I wasn't a fan of Fable 2, and I could get 3 on PC anyway (but I have no desire to do so).  I would like to play Gears 3, but I can live without it.  The new Halos are simply new Halos, I played enough of Halo's 1-3 from 2001-2009 for a lifetime.

PS3 has had much strongerr exclusives from 2009-2011.  I know games are very subjective, but I really don't think this is really arguable at all - unless you are addicted to Halo and must play Reach.  Uncharted, Killzone, Infamous, D-Souls.

XBLA still gets a better selection than PSN, but overall I'd say:

2006-2008: 360
2009-2011: PS3

Wii is like the N64.  It had big and awesome first (and second) party games.  But the third party and mutliplatform games weren't there.  Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Metroid Prime 3, NSMBW, DKCR, Kirby games, Skyward Sword... these are all worth playing.  But that's it.  The Wii is just "Club Nintendo" and nothing much else.  There are some cool 3rd party games like Muramasa and No More Heroes too, but all the PS360 exclusives outweigh these.  If can handle only playing Nintendo games it's great, but you'd miss out on so much if Wii was your only console.  Xenoblade is coming at last, but not much more on the horizon.

1. PS3
2. Wii
3. 360 (only because you could play most of the games on PS3 or PC anyway)

Jump to Post

12.11.2011 1:03am

The Joker
Infernal Spawn of Evil

Whether motion is the future or not (Microsoft sure seems to think it is) I don't particularly care one way or the other, but IR pointing (or similar tech) sure as hell better be. Using analog sticks to move a cursor is just archaic at this point.

Anyway, I have 32 (retail) Wii games and 7 X360 games so I guess Wii is the clear winner for me. The virtual console also got me to re-play many half-forgotten favorites from the 16-bit generation (Shining Force I & II, Phantasy Star IV, Landstalkerâ?¦) which I very much enjoyed. (Landstalker I hadn't played in like 15 years since we foolishly traded it in the first time we owned it.) I'll probably keep my Wii connected even for next gen since it takes so little space and it's not like I need the component inputs on my TV for anything else.

Jump to Post

12.11.2011 1:09am

Murasame
HALE YEAH

As an entertainment machine, PS3 wins, especially here in Australia, where the 360 tantalised us with previews of awesomeness until we actually logged in. It still does that.

As a gaming machine, my tastes are pretty evenly spread, but I still enjoy most of my time with the PS3. 360 gets the least of my time and I don't know why, but it may have something to do with the awful dashboard, and the fact that despite the HDMI out, it cannot, for some reason, look any better than 480 when it isn't in game. It is horrendous. It is ugly, and it is no fun to use.

also @Magnus: I would definitely disagree on the "forcing blu-rays = failure" thing. If anything, the blu-ray has been the saving grace of the PS3.

Jump to Post

12.11.2011 5:41am

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

Crisium said:
PS3 has had much strongerr exclusives from 2009-2011. I know games are very subjective, but I really don't think this is really arguable at all - unless you are addicted to Halo and must play Reach. Uncharted, Killzone, Infamous, D-Souls.

I don't disagree with this so much as that, especially given my backlog and time/money constraints, there's been very few exclusives from either lately that I care about.  I'd like to play Heavy Rain on PS3, and I'd like to play Metro 2033 on Xbox (it doesn't matter that it's on the PC, because I've gotten away from PC gaming), and...that's it, I think.  Like I was saying, if someone handed me a free PS3, I'd try Uncharted just to get a use out of it, but if it came to the 360 I'd ignore it like Gears of War, Halo, Call of Duty, and Assassin's Creed: big series that don't interest me enough to make time for them.  Killzone, Infamous, Demon/Dark Souls...meh.

In general, my reaction to the PS3 has been that it has a lot of high profile exclusives that happen to miss the mark for me.  I'm sure God of War 3 is a selling point for someone, but it certainly isn't a selling point for me.

Jump to Post

12.11.2011 8:48am

Southern Comfort
silently judging all of you

I hate to say it, but the real winner of this generation of consoles was... the iPhone/iPad. 

Jump to Post

12.11.2011 9:40am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

If it's a question of which console was the best the past 6 years, that's purely a matter of opinion of what system had the most games you liked. For me it's a toss up between Wii and 360.

If it's a question of what console was most successful financially (which is the entire point of these companies existing from their perspectives) than Wii is unquestionably undispitably the far away winner.

Ipad isn't a winner. Iphone yes, but if you look at software sales of just the ipad itself, it pales in comparison to mobile cell phones games.

Jump to Post

12.11.2011 11:40am

Som
Genitals are Funny

Can i pick PC?

Jump to Post

12.11.2011 9:21pm

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

Same.  All the current gen shit I've bought over the past few years has been almost exclusively PC games.

Jump to Post

12.11.2011 9:31pm

KyleIII
Registered Member

Som said:

Can i pick PC?
That's what I'm going with. I've been really disillusioned with consoles in the last couple years, and with a few exceptions do most of my gaming on my PC these days. Now that digital distribution is a reality and Steam has grown into such an amazing and consumer-friendly service, it feels like PC gaming is in something of a renaissance while all three consoles have been stagnating for years. I've come to really hate the idea of developers (whether big or small) not being able to update or add content to their game (free or paid) without going through a gigantic corporate bureaucracy.

Only thing that worries me about the PC is Valve someday being bought out and Steam run into the ground, but I think the possibility of that happening is going to be far in the future.

Jump to Post

12.12.2011 6:31am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

With the way Valve is going, it might be more outright merger than bought out.

Either that or Gabe Newell will eat anyone who makes an offer.

Jump to Post

12.12.2011 8:15am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

I've only used my 360 recently for fighting games. (And Mass Effect 2, because when it came out I had a PC much more archaic than my current one.) Other than that, anything I've wanted to play on 360 has also been on PC.

Jump to Post

12.12.2011 1:46pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

From a revenue and business standpoint, Wii clearly won, largely due to its ability to bring a new market base into the industry. Hardcore gamers gonna hate, though.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter