Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Star Ocean 4

< Prev 1 2 Next >

10.09.2011 12:12am
Thread Creator

shadowphoenix
It all ends with beginnings...

So I just started Star Ocean: The Last Hope. So far I like it. Has any one else played it? Is it a good game? Or is it going to disappoint?

Jump to Post

10.09.2011 1:05am

maximus asinus
Registered Member

I played (and beat) it, not great compared to other Star Ocean games but enjoyable. Some of the voice acting (mmkay) got on my nerves and there was a whole crafting/deeper character development that I never really got into that might have made it a better game.

Jump to Post

10.09.2011 5:47am

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

Overall I'd say III>IV>I>II but I know most people would disagree with me.  I've only played IV once so far whereas the rest of the series I have 2-3 runs on each but I'm replaying all four in order (currently at II with dashes of III here and there) so IV is in the pipeline.  Voice acting is absolutely horrendous at times (Sarah is the worst... mmkay is just bad) but the awesome gameplay and Star Ocean type story make up for it.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

10.09.2011 9:35am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I like the mmmkay line as well as Liemel in general. Sarah's the one I hate.

SO4 is a good game. The PS3 version as far as I'm concerned is a good game even though I haven't played it, but the Xbox 360 version is not so good (no manual targeting makes some boss fights needlessly frustrating).�  I didn't like the characters besides Edge and the main female (forgot her name), and the plot made no sense. The battle system is very fun overall though. It's worth a playthrough but it's my least favorite Star Ocean game by a mile.

For me the order is

Star Ocean 3 > >  > > > Star Ocean 2 = Star Ocean 1 FD > > > > >  Star Ocean 4

Jump to Post

10.11.2011 11:47pm

Makeshift Gray
FFO's Blank Earth

Well, there's Reimi! And the blindside mechanic was fun. But IMO, root canal > SO3 > SO4.

Hyperbole aside, I was enjoying SO4 pretty well for the first 20-25 hours despite the weak characters/story, and then I really started to resent it. The difficulty spiked, I was growing weary from the fetch quests/backtracking, and the final dungeon was a nightmare even with a guide. By the time I finished, I was simply relieved to be done.

Jump to Post

10.12.2011 12:20pm
Thread Creator

shadowphoenix
It all ends with beginnings...

So far I'm still liking it. Some of the charcters are annoying, but everything else is making up for it. I just had my first 30+ minute boss battle, so I'm already imagining how long the final boss will take.

Jump to Post

10.12.2011 4:18pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

I'm still surprised that SO3 gets a lot of love despite it's inane plot twist and nearly completely unlikeable characters.  Except that one guy who was sent to pick up Fayt, he was cool.

In all honesty, I felt that SO4 is a vast improvement over SO3 for a lot of reasons.  Many which people will probably disagree with, but honestly, after SO3, I'm glad that it's different.

My main thing is comparing the leads, Edge and Fayt.  Fayt is, for all intents and purposes, a whiny little bastard who is extremely emotionally unstable.  And it becomes a point with a major event that both characters share.

When the Earth, the character's home planet, gets nuked, Fayt barely has much of an emotional response.  Granted, it's due to the limitations, but everything seems normal after that.

For Edge, even though it's not his actual Earth, he basically broke down, and it showed when he was silent for a good part of the game.  Granted, Edge was indirectly responsible for that Earth's destruction, but unlike Fayt, he felt that weight and it essentally put him on the breaking point.

This is why I think SO4 is a better game than 3.  Of course, that's my opinion.

I also want to point out that Infinite Undiscovery is a better game than those two for exactly that same reason, because the characters actually emote.

Though one major complaint I have about SO4, and it isn't Sarah, is Crowe, a full on Marty Stu who I wish to die a painful death.  Yeah, he's not a main character, but with the way the others talk about him, I wanted to smash his pretty face in.  This is also a narritive no no, but that's self explanitory.

Jump to Post

10.12.2011 6:19pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

This title was the first time I'd played a Star Ocean game and it was an effort to get through. I loved the combat and even the game mechanics themselves, but the characters were brutal. Not Enchanted Arms bad, but close.

Jump to Post

10.12.2011 6:22pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

It seemed like it had a solid game inside of it but I couldn't get the handle of the battle system and THEN the game started to get hard (for me, also), and then FFXIII (shut up) came out and I got distracted.

And then we sold it to buy... something else, I don't remember what.  Probably Dragon Age 2, kaaaaay.

Jump to Post

10.12.2011 9:34pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

I don't know who annoys me more, Sarah or Lymle. I tried flipping a coin to decide but it kept landing on its edge. Weird.

Jump to Post

10.12.2011 11:21pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

The Earth link between Fayt and Edge really does distinguish how much better of a character Edge is in general but I still like Fayt most of the time.

Jump to Post

10.13.2011 7:14am
 (Edited on 10.13.2011 at 7:27am)

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

CaButler said:

I'm still surprised that SO3 gets a lot of love despite it's inane plot twist and nearly completely unlikeable characters.  Except that one guy who was sent to pick up Fayt, he was cool.

In all honesty, I felt that SO4 is a vast improvement over SO3 for a lot of reasons.  Many which people will probably disagree with, but honestly, after SO3, I'm glad that it's different.

My main thing is comparing the leads, Edge and Fayt.  Fayt is, for all intents and purposes, a whiny little bastard who is extremely emotionally unstable.  And it becomes a point with a major event that both characters share.

When the Earth, the character's home planet, gets nuked, Fayt barely has much of an emotional response.  Granted, it's due to the limitations, but everything seems normal after that.

For Edge, even though it's not his actual Earth, he basically broke down, and it showed when he was silent for a good part of the game.  Granted, Edge was indirectly responsible for that Earth's destruction, but unlike Fayt, he felt that weight and it essentally put him on the breaking point.

This is why I think SO4 is a better game than 3.  Of course, that's my opinion.

I also want to point out that Infinite Undiscovery is a better game than those two for exactly that same reason, because the characters actually emote.

Though one major complaint I have about SO4, and it isn't Sarah, is Crowe, a full on Marty Stu who I wish to die a painful death.  Yeah, he's not a main character, but with the way the others talk about him, I wanted to smash his pretty face in.  This is also a narritive no no, but that's self explanitory.

The plot twist in SO3 was one of my favorite plot element of any video game ever. I thought it was fucking awesome. I get sick of the whole "enemies are bad, someone betrays me, fight against the empire" theme every jrpg has. was a nice breather for me.  That plot twist is precisely what gives me so much respect for the game. As for the characters, I personally liked each one of them besides Sophia. Fayt was meh. But for me the game really shines in the Battle system, it had incredible depth, whereas in SO1 and SO2 I feel like I'm just mashing X and special moves, So3 is more about spacing and timing. If you mash x most of the game you WILL die, and that engagement is precisely why I can play the game so many times and never get bored.

The reason I didn't ilke SO4 as much is because I still have no idea what the game was about or where the villians came from despite beating the game. Where the heck did the
Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
missing procedure
even come from? what the heck was it? I also played the 360 version and there was no targetting system so I got frustrated trying to implement unique strategy against bosses, when I kept hitting the little minions that I wasn't aiming for. I also didn't like SO4's world as much. Felt kind of flat. I also hated how i had to change discs to do the post game content everytime I switched towns. That was a big minus for me, because half the fun I have in these games is the post game content.

Also SO3 characters emote as much as Infinite Undiscovery (which I love) it's just that they do them in the private actions, which most of them are easily missable unfortunately (like every SO game) but if you dig for them there's a lot of great character emotion and interaction. The one big exception is nobody reacting to Earth exploding, I'll give you that this was terrible. Edge is definitely better then Fayt but it means almost nothing when I can't understand SO4's plot and nobody on the internet can explain it to me without making references as vague as the people who think Zelda timelines are connected.

Jump to Post

10.14.2011 1:46am

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

I would choke Lymle to death and then smile over her dead body.

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

12.14.2011 10:24am

Lews
Lord of the Morning

other than some of the characters being a little too j-pop/moe or whatever you wanna call it, it seemed to be a good game from what i can tell after renting it.  very nice graphics and beautiful environments.  plus, i think edge is a pretty cool guy.

Jump to Post

12.14.2011 12:17pm

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

The story wasn't good, but I thought it was a great game.  If I didn't like JRPG's unless they had good stories...well, I'd like a lot fewer JRPG's.  The visuals were amazing, and the gameplay was a lot of fun.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter