Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

Hunger Games

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

03.21.2012 4:37pm
Thread Creator

Crux
A mental Dentist's office

So what do you all think of it?
I've seen a lot of advertisement and it's gotten me interested. And the reviewers are setting it as the next big hit.

From what I know, it looks like a totalitarian govt. running death matches to keep the populace entertained/terrified.
What do those that have read the books think of this?

Jump to Post

03.21.2012 4:50pm

Milky Ore
Kickin' it old school

Read books 1 & 2 (3 on the backburner), and definitely going to see this Friday.  From what I've seen of the trailer and from the source material, I don't see anyway this wouldn't be a great blockbuster.  (And this is from someone who normally hates blockbuster movies.)

As far as the plot, yes it's totalitarian govt.  The "Hunger Games" are set up by the government to punish the working class Districts who rebelled years ago.  Basically, every of the 12 Districts chooses 1 boy and 1 girl (between 10-17) to enter the Hunger Games.  So 24 of them go in and, in Battle Royale style, they kill each other, or they're killed by traps/disasters set up by the game makers.  Last one standing is the victor.

Jump to Post

03.21.2012 8:55pm

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

I just read the frst book a few weeks back, and it was very gripping. I had some issues with bits of the ending. Anywho, I'm definitely going to see the movie, even though it doesn't look all that great. Katniss' home district particularly looks like a bad Syfy production, and a lot of the acting seems pretty wooden/Twilight-ish. The Capitol looks great though.

Jump to Post

03.22.2012 12:21am

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

I liked the trailer, reviews are good, I'm sold.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

03.22.2012 1:59am

Murasame
HALE YEAH

It was pretty damn good.

I went to a midnight screening for the movie, and honestly, because we're not getting a stream of Katniss' thoughts, and a repetition of her clear and obvious stupidity (when it comes to other people), the movie does some stuff quite a lot better than the books.

The US PG13 rating, however, nerfs a lot of the horror this movie could have instilled. The lack of blood is almost eerie.

Honestly, it's just a really really well crafted teen movie. Sound, camera work, costuming - it's all pretty awesome. A lot of the work they did was kind of... obvious, but in action movies (especially in action movies), even obvious powerful moments can be overlooked. The movie? Nope. It gets it.

Also, guys, it's long, and it's a slow buildup.

Also also: Jennifer Lawrence is a fucking boss actress.

Jump to Post

03.22.2012 3:06am

<("<)<(")>(>")>
America: The Pony

When I read they cast Jennifer Lawrence as the lead after seeing her in Winter's Bone, I realized that casting directors really should get oscars. 

Jump to Post

03.23.2012 8:18am

Raphael
Eternal Lurker

3/4th of the movie is shaky, blurry, zoomed in cam. Did not like it.

Jump to Post

03.23.2012 12:00pm

Fuuko Sakurada
Momoia =D

I loved the books and I couldn't watch the midnight release of today ( buses stop running early during weekdays ), so I'll be going to watch it Sunday with some friends =P I don't normally go to the movies to watch interesting movies like that, but because the books were real good, I will go ahead and watch it at the movies

BoA*

Best of Asia * since 2000

Jump to Post

03.23.2012 10:30pm

hkr
Too queer to get out of bed

Which movie was better, this or Battle Royal?

(I know hunger games isn't exactly Battle Royal or even American Battle Royal but it's really hard to ignore the similarities.)

Jump to Post

03.24.2012 4:20am

Sturm
Registered Member

In France, the Hunger Games are known as "Battle Royale with cheese."

(stolen from someone else.)

Jump to Post

03.24.2012 1:23pm

OrionHardy
Otherworld

hkr said:

Which movie was better, this or Battle Royal?

(I know hunger games isn't exactly Battle Royal or even American Battle Royal but it's really hard to ignore the similarities.)

I would put this on par or say that Battle Royale was slightly better (Mainly due to the lack of gore), But it's definitely better than Battle Royale 2.

Great men aren't everywhere, just where it counts.

If you ever see me online playing Halo, join me please.

Jump to Post

03.24.2012 1:57pm

Kal
yes

Battle Royale (the movie) was kind of super silly. The concept was pretty good but man what an annoying cast. Even Beat Takeshi manages to be bad in it. 

Jump to Post

03.24.2012 4:44pm

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

Raphael said:

3/4th of the movie is shaky, blurry, zoomed in cam. Did not like it.

Seriously, the first 20 minutes of the movie plus every battle scene were so damn shakey! I couldn't even tell what was happening between Katniss, Peeta, and Cato at the end on the cornucopia until they zoomed out for a wide shot.

I facepalmed at the chariot fire clothes and Peeta's ridiculous rock camouflaged scene. Some parts of the film were good, but overall it was a "meh" for me. Battle Royale was much, much better.

BTW, did anyone else feel this was a really soft PG-13? (With the exception of the awesome neck snap, of course.)

Jump to Post

03.24.2012 8:14pm

Mole
Somebody loves ya.

It's really not like Battle Royale. The themes and tone are completely different. Battle Royale is far and away a better movie but it's not really important.

It was okay. I enjoyed it while watching it but the more I think about it the less satisfying it was. The first half is much better than the second: once the games actually start  there's remarkably little that happens that's of any consequence. There are no surprises in the last act, and a lot of the ideas seemed undercooked. Maybe it's because they're "making room for sequels" but I was surprised when it ended so fast and left so much undeveloped. I haven't read the books.

The camera work did range from solid to obnoxious to oh Jesus I want to puke, but we did get some luscious shots of Jennifer Lawrence's mouth so I guess it wasn't too bad.

Jump to Post

03.25.2012 1:13am

Amer
pew pew pew

Haven't seen it yet, but in the book the 2nd half is much better than the first, IMO. The book doesn't really take off until they get in the arena. 

Nelf, did you read the books? The fire clothes and rock camo are straight out of them, so I'm wondering if you're saying they are implemented poorly or you just think the idea was riciulous over all. 

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter