Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

The Matrix

< Prev 1 2 Next >

05.06.2013 8:55pm
Thread Creator

Call
Firefightin' Administrator
Administrator

I know I'm about a decade and a half late on this, but I recently saw the movie again and was really bothered by something.  I think I've only seen the movie three times (the first was after it came out, and I was totally confused; the second was shortly after, and I got most of the meaning and points), and I have a major problem with it, so much that it completely destroys the movie for me.

If the humans are enslaved for their use as energy, why create the Matrix at all?  I know the explanation is to keep them docile and unaware, but who cares?  They're in a state of suspended animation or whatever, they're locked in pods, and they aren't going anywhere.  I assume their overseers are breeding and feeding them, and so they never need to be released, and so the overseers have an endless supply of fuel/people/reserves.  Why go to all the trouble of letting them think they're in a normal world?  

I've looked on the internet for suitable answers, and found none.  While many websites point out plot holes, none addresses this seemingly major contrivance. Am I wrong on this?

Jump to Post

05.06.2013 8:59pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

I...never thought of that.  Wow, major gaping plot hole.  Further, why humans, when there are much more docile, mindless animals out there for the farming?

Jump to Post

05.06.2013 9:35pm

Amer
pew pew pew

Hmm.

The only thing I can think of is that for some reason the machines need/want the humans to be in this state of suspended conciousness. The question is why is that necessary in the first place. Higher output or energy? Longer battery lifespan?

If you assume it's needed, then you need the Matrix to pacify the people, as when people start to question the existance of the "real" they wake up and are flushed out of the process like Neo. 

Jump to Post

05.06.2013 9:41pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Could be, more energy generated/longer-lasting battery when 'asleep'.  I guess if you think about it, when humans sleep they're conserving energy and sort of recharging, so maybe it's just more efficient to have them in stasis.  Maybe brain activity has something to do with it as well?  The machines could be generating electricity from the 'dreams' of the humans experiencing the Matrix.

Jump to Post

05.06.2013 10:05pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

I always assumed it was because if the humans aren't "at ease" they're probably going to live a lot shorter of a lifespan from all the "stress" or whatever. 

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

05.06.2013 10:06pm

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

It could be argued that this is just Morpheus' understanding of what motivates the machines.  That's not to say that humans aren't being used as an energy source, but the machines may have a sense of morality that keeps them from effectively killing all of their makers or keeping them in a state of perpetual unhappiness.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

05.06.2013 10:16pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Okay, so here's where I confess that I've never seen The Matrix.

Jump to Post

05.06.2013 10:21pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

It's okay.  I've only seen parts of the last two.

Jump to Post

05.06.2013 10:36pm

Crux
A mental Dentist's office

I think in Animatrix they stated/showed that the machines were harvesting some of the neurological energy from emotional responses.

But let's be honest here, more energy is going into this system than they would be getting out.

Jump to Post

05.06.2013 11:24pm

Som
Genitals are Funny

IMO the reason is, it's a movie. it's the same reason why they don't just get on a giant bird and throw the ring in Mt Doom. The Matrix would be a pretty fkn boring movie if it didn't have, you know, the matrix.

http://fanedit.org/ifdb/component/content/article/79-fanedit-database/fanfix/211-matrix-dezionized-the

Jump to Post

05.07.2013 12:53am

Turhaya
The Batman

Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange.

Why create the matrix at all? Because the machines don't really keep them in there for their energy producing capabilities. Humanity lives within a matrix within a matrix while the machines (which are actually good) rebuild the real real world that man foolishly ruined. How else do you explain Neo's abilities in the real world? Some minds won't accept the false world created for them so the machines created an outer second level of the matrix for those who fail to accept the inception. The machines take care of them in the most calculated manner, mitigating all risk to their longterm survival.

Because their the hero humanity deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they'll hunt them. Because they can take it. Because they're not our hero. They're a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark messiah.

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jump to Post

05.07.2013 1:27am

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

INCEPTION.

Actually, that was a pretty cool explanation.  I'd watch it!

Jump to Post

05.07.2013 3:24am

Murasame
HALE YEAH

Som said:

IMO the reason is, it's a movie. it's the same reason why they don't just get on a giant bird and throw the ring in Mt Doom. The Matrix would be a pretty fkn boring movie if it didn't have, you know, the matrix.

http://fanedit.org/ifdb/component/content/article/79-fanedit-database/fanfix/211-matrix-dezionized-the

DOES NO ONE CONSIDER HOW MUCH WORSE IT WOULD BE TO HAVE EAGLE-GODS REIGNING MIDDLE EARTH WITH AN IRON CLAW?

Jump to Post

05.07.2013 1:11pm

FenixDown
The King's orders are absolute

Turhaya said:

Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange.

Why create the matrix at all? Because the machines don't really keep them in there for their energy producing capabilities. Humanity lives within a matrix within a matrix while the machines (which are actually good) rebuild the real real world that man foolishly ruined. How else do you explain Neo's abilities in the real world? Some minds won't accept the false world created for them so the machines created an outer second level of the matrix for those who fail to accept the inception. The machines take care of them in the most calculated manner, mitigating all risk to their longterm survival.

Because their the hero humanity deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they'll hunt them. Because they can take it. Because they're not our hero. They're a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark messiah.

Not sure if serious...

That probably would have been a better twist than what we really got by the end of the Matrix Trilogy. Anyway, I assume the Matrix exists as part of the machines'  means of keeping humanity under their proverbial thumb. Enslave the masses within the Matrix, and provide the few humans who escape (or were born elsewhere) with false hopes of being able to defeat them. It's been a long time since I last watched any of the movies.

Let's Play Chrono Trigger
Let's Play The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Let's Play Final Fantasy VI

Jump to Post

05.07.2013 3:40pm

shadowphoenix
It all ends with beginnings...

When I first saw Reloaded, that's what I always thought: the "Real World" was just another level of the Matrix. That is until Revolutions told me I was wrong.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter