Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

The Matrix

< Prev 1 2 Next >

05.07.2013 4:59pm

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

I swear, some of the fan speculation back then when Reloaded came out was much much better than what we had with Revolutions.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

05.08.2013 12:13am

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I'm more bothered by the fact that the whole method of using human body heat to generate power is a perpetual motion machine, or at best incredibly inefficient.  The energy harvested would be far less than the energy fed to humans to keep them alive.

Jump to Post

05.08.2013 3:06am

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

Gotta go with Belissario's Maxim on this one... "Don't examine this too closely."  The Matrix as a movie series REALLY doesn't stand up to plot scrutiny at all. It probably takes just as much energy to keep the humans alive as it could ever hope to extract from them. Think about it, energy in/energy out. Humans make for horrible batteries. Have they considered geothermal energy?

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

05.08.2013 3:09am

Crisium
N/A

Most machines actually still like humans.  They thought it was a fair trade to steal our energy in return for a dream world.  It was only agent Smith who thought that humans were a virus - he's an extremist.  Most machines are human sympathizers and they passed a vote to allow humans to dream in the Matrix as a form of reparations for the enslavament.  So it's not so surprising at the end of Revolutions they return rightful human land to our race.

Jump to Post

05.08.2013 3:16am

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

I still hate that Agent Smith came back. That was just really bad writing. But then again, the first movie made it seem like Neo could rewrite the code of the Matrix at will and deleted Smith. instead in reloaded, Smith is back on an ass pull and Neo's only a flying brick that can stop bullets. I realize it's hard to write a character with godly powers, but he was vulnerable in the real world and they really should've been a lot more clever than the cheap "enemy of my enemy is my enemy" copout of an endgame.

Jump to Post

05.08.2013 8:05am

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

Humanity had to be kept active and alive in order to properly harvest their energy.  The machines aren't harvesting body heat, they're harvesting electrical energy. This means the humans can't simply be put in stasis with nothing to keep their minds active.  Stasis means the body and mind aren't doing anything, energy usage and output are at minimal, barely measurable levels. A human in stasis is practically a corpse. Usless. That's not what the machines want.  They want a perfectly normal, functioning at 100%, human "battery", and the only way to do that is to make the mind think everything is normal so that the body acts as if everything is normal, energy productione-wise.  Only way to do that is trick the humans into thinking they are in a normal world, and thus, The Matrix.  It's just like the imperfect real world because a perfect world didn't work - "Human minds rejected it, entire crops were lost" as Agent Smith says.

Jump to Post

05.08.2013 10:25am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Crux said:

I think in Animatrix they stated/showed that the machines were harvesting some of the neurological energy from emotional responses.
Well, there's that and also, in the Animatrix you get to see how relationships between humans and machines go from bad to worse until there is an all out war; the Matrix is just the continuation of that war, which is so far, a losing one for the human side.

Jump to Post

05.08.2013 8:39pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Crisium said:

Most machines actually still like humans. They thought it was a fair trade to steal our energy in return for a dream world. It was only agent Smith who thought that humans were a virus - he's an extremist. Most machines are human sympathizers and they passed a vote to allow humans to dream in the Matrix as a form of reparations for the enslavament. So it's not so surprising at the end of Revolutions they return rightful human land to our race.

That's actually some pretty cool stuff I never knew.

But wait. Machines run a democracy?

Jump to Post

05.09.2013 5:06am

Turhaya
The Batman

Mavilu said:

Well, there's that and also, in the Animatrix you get to see how relationships between humans and machines go from bad to worse until there is an all out war; the Matrix is just the continuation of that war, which is so far, a losing one for the human side.

The Animatrix was my favorite matrix related thing, I think. The Second Renaissance stuff was awesome. And yeah, the machines run a democracy out of 01, their nation-state or something. And I was only half-joking earlier. I could watch the first matrix and the animatrix forever. Plus that stupid Neo/Smith fight from Reloaded. It's still pretty fun.

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jump to Post

05.09.2013 11:47pm

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

I like The Animatrix better than The Matrix, to be honest!.

Jump to Post

05.10.2013 4:30am

Thirdtwin
It's you guys' fault

For what it's worth I heard the original version of the script used humans for neural-net processing power, rather than as literal fuel cells.  I can't really source it anywhere consistent, though, but it would have been... more plausible than the battery thing, if not entirely so. 

TT

Jump to Post

05.22.2013 11:38am
 (Edited on 05.22.2013 at 11:44am)

Arckanghel
Pirate.

Call said:

I know I'm about a decade and a half late on this, but I recently saw the movie again and was really bothered by something.  I think I've only seen the movie three times (the first was after it came out, and I was totally confused; the second was shortly after, and I got most of the meaning and points), and I have a major problem with it, so much that it completely destroys the movie for me.

If the humans are enslaved for their use as energy, why create the Matrix at all?  I know the explanation is to keep them docile and unaware, but who cares?  They're in a state of suspended animation or whatever, they're locked in pods, and they aren't going anywhere.  I assume their overseers are breeding and feeding them, and so they never need to be released, and so the overseers have an endless supply of fuel/people/reserves.  Why go to all the trouble of letting them think they're in a normal world?  

I've looked on the internet for suitable answers, and found none.  While many websites point out plot holes, none addresses this seemingly major contrivance. Am I wrong on this?

As far as the energy thing, Morpheus says specifically that the body heat and electrical energy are combined with a form of fusion to create whatever output the whole system supposedly has. So, there's the dues ex machina there.

For the contrivance of The Matrix, it's never made completely clear, other than that a brain doing nothing would produce no electricity, however it is implied that without it the whole system would not produce. The Architect says at one point  "there are levels of survival we are willing to accept" when Neo basically says he will shut down The Matrix, implying that the system is in fact somehow dependent on it as a whole.

Also, for reasons somewhat unknown, but likely logically just that humans don't survive well without stimulation, the destruction of The Matrix kills off its inhabitants. Granted to understand the underlying part of that relationship would require an understanding of consciousness that we really don't have in the modern realm to begin with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architect_%28The_Matrix%29#Constructing_the_First_Matrices

Jump to Post

05.22.2013 8:20pm

Ulterior
Registered Member

The  real reason is executive meddling. The original purpose of the matrix was that humans were put in there so that the machines could link everyone's minds together for use as a gigantic neural/computer processor. Hollywood thought this was too difficult for audiences to get their heads around, so we get the scene with the Duracell.

Preemptive: i wish I remembered where I had read this.

I love you, everything burrito.

Jump to Post

05.22.2013 8:50pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

Ulterior said:

The  real reason is executive meddling. The original purpose of the matrix was that humans were put in there so that the machines could link everyone's minds together for use as a gigantic neural/computer processor. Hollywood thought this was too difficult for audiences to get their heads around, so we get the scene with the Duracell.

Preemptive: i wish I remembered where I had read this.

The executives changed THAT but left the last two movies as what they were.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter