Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  Entertainment Discussion

The Wolverine

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

07.26.2013 6:19am
Thread Creator

Areas
Formerly Kenshin

Just got back from the movie.  MUCH better than Origins.  I know it's not saying much but it was actually very enjoyable.  Make sure to stay for the credits.  Let's just say that the wait for Days of Future's Past just got a hell of a lot harder. >.>

Jump to Post

07.26.2013 9:25am

Old Juan
filled with hate

Me too. I agree on all counts. Much better than Origins, which isn't hard granted but then again I'm of the opinion that Origin's was simply dissappointing and not the AIDS infested shit sandwich that so many like to(lets be real here we've all seen much worse)claim . This is easily Hugh's best performance of the character to date. He had really good chemistry with both female leads. In fact I wouldn't mind seeing more adventures with him and Yukio. Their chemistry and banter reminded me a lot the older school Kitty Pryde and Wolverine from the comics.

One thing I do agree with other reviews I've read is that the last twenty minutes faulters a bit, not enough to derail the movie but definately reeks of some compromise in order for Mangold and Jackman to make mostly the Wolverine movie they wanted to make. The tonal shift is pretty jarring actually.

The action sequences were well done and finally getting to see berserker rage Wolvy was worth it. Up until this film, the closest we had gotten to that was IMO the mansion invasion scene in X2.

I believe Mangold has said that the DVD/Blue-Ray version will have 12 minutes added back in to the film. I'm very interested in that when you consider that the majority of the
Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
of the Wolverine vs Ninjas
was removed from the theatrical cut of the film.

Jump to Post

07.26.2013 6:21pm

Zubis
Registered Member

The CG is terrible, though I did like it more than Origins.

What pissed me off though is that

I applaud the movie for making Logan loose the adamantium claws! A move which in no way will be undone next year by Future Past. Nope.

Jump to Post

07.27.2013 8:05pm

Ramses
Registered Member

I liked it, but thought I was going to love it.
What's with Logan getting constantly run through? A sword should just bounce off his bones. Why couldn't Magneato fix his claws?

2011 FFO Fantasy Football Champion

Jump to Post

07.28.2013 1:01am

Som
Genitals are Funny

While i am Australian, it's in my DNA to like Hugh Jackman, i just don't like him as Wolverine. Probably because he's too tall. Also how much longer can he play Wolverine? Wolverine is basicly immortal while Jackman is actually aging.

Also, while i don't know alot about comics, i do know a tiny bit about Wolverine.
Isn't this the storyline where Lady Deathstrike is introduced before she became Lady Deathstrike? Do they explain anything about that or is she replaced with someone else?

Jump to Post

07.28.2013 1:15am

Zubis
Registered Member

I think Hugh Jackman's got 2 movies left. They do age him in Days of Future Past next year.

Jump to Post

07.28.2013 3:51am
 (Edited on 07.28.2013 at 8:14pm)

Old Juan
filled with hate

Jackmen will be in DOFP and I believe he'll most likely do a 3rd Wolverine film(unless the film completely flops)as his swan song for playing the character. After that, even if he was game to continue the role, I thnk the movie executives will want to start all over with the X-Men franchise, with a completely new cast.

Jump to Post

07.28.2013 4:56pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

Som, I'm guessing you're most familiar with the 90s cartoon? No, Lady Deathstrike should have nothing to do with this story. In the cartoon they combined her and Mariko's characters, but Lady Deathstrike in the comics was never a love interest for Wolverine.

Haven't seen this yet, probably won't for a while (hope it comes to Netflix), so I spoiled myself. Seems like a shame they had already used Deathstrike in X2, cause she would have made more sense than Viper. Viper in a universe without Hydra? What's the point?

Jump to Post

07.29.2013 2:34pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I liked it. My only real criticisms are two-fold.

--The Viper lady could have been left out of the story completely without affecting the plot. It would have been much tighter without her, as the family drama was already complicated enough. It feels like the producers were convinced that we needed an evil mutant in the story just for the sake of having one.
--Too many sexist Japanese cultural tropes irritating my feminist sensibilities.

On a side note, was Yukio played by the same girl who did Gogo in Kill Bill? Seemed like it.

Jump to Post

07.29.2013 7:58pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

I never knew much about X-Men growing up, but having seen a bunch of the movies I'm pretty excited for this.  I enjoyed all the rest.

Jump to Post

07.30.2013 2:42am

Old Juan
filled with hate

Atma Weapon said:

I liked it. My only real criticisms are two-fold.

--The Viper lady could have been left out of the story completely without affecting the plot. It would have been much tighter without her, as the family drama was already complicated enough. It feels like the producers were convinced that we needed an evil mutant in the story just for the sake of having one.
--Too many sexist Japanese cultural tropes irritating my feminist sensibilities.

On a side note, was Yukio played by the same girl who did Gogo in Kill Bill? Seemed like it.

No. The Wolverine is Rila Fushikima's first major movie role. I though she was great. Mangold can really get the best out of just about anybody, even those with little to no acting experience. Like I said before, I would totally be game for another Wolvie movie with her tagging along for the adventure. These two characters have a great dynamic, in fact I enjoyed their dynamic better than any other Wolverine and "young mutant" that they've had so far.

Jump to Post

07.30.2013 8:00am

Som
Genitals are Funny

Just got back from seeing it. better than Origins but that isn't hard.

The ending and other stuff

So the bit after the main credits with Magneto and Xavier. it'll be hard to watch it again unless you plan on seeing it again, but i swear you can see Bishop in it.

Also, about the claws, well actually his adamantium skeleton that gets sucked out. I know in the comics it's magneto that rips it out, i have the trading card of that. I also know that i read it grows back for whatever reason, something about the adamantium being in his DNA or something. You think that's what they'll do for the movies?

And now i know, Mariko =/= Deathstrike, guess i don't know as much about Wolverine as i thought.

Jump to Post

07.30.2013 8:17am

Zubis
Registered Member

No, the adamantium won't grow over his bones - the credits sequence is 2 years later and nothing has happened. It's rather obvious that Days of Future Past will reset it when Wolverine time travels though.

Jump to Post

07.30.2013 8:17am

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

Saw it, liked it, can't wait for the next "full" X-Men movie. All I have to say is, where's my damn Apocalypse!? I don't care about all these other 2-bit chump villains. Gimme the big blue guy  already or go home.  It's just like Superman - they keep cockteasing us with movie after movie after movie with the same old villains (Lex, Zod, Lex, Lex, Lex, Zod, etc.) and yet Braniac and Darkseid are just sitting there waiting to be awesomer than all of them.

Speaking of which, didn't the X-Men animated series use Apocalypse for the Days of Future's Past storyline? I read up on the story on wikipedia a little bit, and it seems like he had nothing to do with it in the comics.

Jump to Post

07.30.2013 9:28am
 (Edited on 07.30.2013 at 3:01pm)

Som
Genitals are Funny

i've just assumed big bads like Apocalypse are just too much for regular people. Like if they made an X-men movie with Apocalypse, i might wet myself with glee. But my mum, who likes the X-Men movies would probably think they went too far into the crazy.

Same reason they didn't actually show Galactus in Fantastic Four. Same reason The Phoenix was a manifestation of Jean's powers instead of the alien being or whatever it is. Comics are weird, and weird will not sell tickets to the general public.

Colinp42 said:

Som, I'm guessing you're most familiar with the 90s cartoon? No, Lady Deathstrike should have nothing to do with this story. In the cartoon they combined her and Mariko's characters, but Lady Deathstrike in the comics was never a love interest for Wolverine.

I never really thought about it but yeah you are right. the cartoon is probably the source of most of my information. That and wikipedia lol.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter