Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

FFXI: Seekers of Adoulin

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

03.14.2013 7:48am
Thread Creator (Edited on 03.14.2013 at 7:20pm)

Shadow
Comes and goes like the wind...

Technically this is the next Final Fantasy game release, so I think we should be talking about it. Square Enix just updated the website with more information on some of the new systems, and pics of some of the new gear going into the game. As someone that still plays this game, I'm pretty excited about the new content, and have already preordered an Xbox copy on amazon.

https://www.playonline.com/ff11us/adoulin/index.html

I know it's easy to be negative about FFXI, I'm sure there is a lot of people on this forum who maybe tried it years ago and didn't like it (for being too grindy or whatever). I think for me I can find the game extremely frustrating at times, but extremely rewarding, and the best times in the game are probably some of the best times I've had playing any game in the Final Fantasy series.

Sure if you compare the game to WoW its not even close to being the same kind of success, but when compared with the user base of other MMO's, the game is actually very much a success, and it's actually the improvements in the last 3-4 years that have made me really like it.

Either way I'm on Sylph if anyone is coming back to the game, or wants to have people to play with. Send me a PM.

Jump to Post

03.14.2013 1:38pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

As much as I liked FFXI, the fact that it's still going just blows my mind.

Jump to Post

03.14.2013 1:43pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

Abyssea, while saving the game, changed too much of the original content for me.

Jump to Post

03.14.2013 7:17pm

Scribe
The Taru

I'll say it again, I love the game in its current state. Been playing since imported JP release and I am excited for the first real expansion in 5 or so years! This game will most likely be around for another 10 years. There is still a lot of areas to cover: the Eastern half of the Far-East and Mithra homelands as well as the Mog homelands. This expansion adding 6 guilds as well as a lot of new gameplay. I don't see FFXI going away as it is SE's cash cow.

Jump to Post

03.14.2013 10:41pm

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

If this had been announced two/three years ago, I might have been far more enthusiastic about it than I am. Unfortunately though, I've found my interest in FFXI waning lately, mostly due to lolAbyssea and it's triviallising everything else that came before it.

I'll probably get this eventually, but what's been mentioned of the lore of Adoulin seems downright yawnworthy, not to mention somewhat farfetched, hence I'm struggling to find anything to really interest me in it. And the two new Jobs coming with the expansion show that SE have really reached the limits of making new unique Jobs for the game that don't merely rehash old ideas (GEO and RFN seem like they're just rehashes of SCH/DNC/RDM and PLD/DRK/NIN respectively).

I'm sorry for being somewhat jaded and cynical about this, but I guess after waiting so long for a new proper FFXI expansion, now that it's here it seems rather, underwhelming.

But maybe that's just indicative of how underwhelming gaming itself is these days for me.

Jump to Post

03.14.2013 10:55pm

Zubis
Registered Member

I'd be excited if I knew where to buy it.

Jump to Post

03.14.2013 11:40pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

On the interwebs?

Jump to Post

03.14.2013 11:45pm

Zubis
Registered Member

Yeah. The EU version can't be purchased yet.

Jump to Post

03.15.2013 3:26am

Aquila
Usually lurking
Administrator

While I'm happy for XI that it's still going strong (more or less?), I can't help but notice the production value of the latest expansion is...pretty crappy.  The graphical improvement has always been apparent with each expansion, espcially the sky.  But the skybox and textures in Seekers of Adoulin look like they were recycled from the early era when the game first launched; and the environments, especially the city of Adoulin, feel empty and flat.  Can't say I blame them for focusing their resources on FFXIV but still...  If this is the last leg of XI it deserves better than that.

Jump to Post

03.15.2013 3:43am

Zubis
Registered Member

Wings of the Goddess was full of recycled zones and took four years post initial release to be finished, so I wouldn't exactly say the bar's that high. Still, you have a point - the Adoulin zones look unfinished.

Adoulin 2013:

San d'Oria 2004:

Jump to Post

03.15.2013 3:50am

Crisium
N/A

I think it's cool that it's the last ever official PS2 game.  Only for PS2 in Japan, but still.

Jump to Post

03.15.2013 9:32am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

I want to love it, I want to feel it, but I feel like the game I really loved got dumbed down and made irelevant a long time ago. The difficulty and large community holds have given way to something that just isn't what I valued in the game that much and seems even more monotonous than a bit of grinding to fight truly epic battles.

Jump to Post

03.15.2013 12:25pm
Thread Creator

Shadow
Comes and goes like the wind...

Zubis said:

Yeah. The EU version can't be purchased yet.

I'm in EU and I was able to order an Xbox360 version of the expansion on Amazon UK. But for the PC download I'm likely to just use either my Canadian or American VISA card to buy it at the Square Enix or Amazon.com online stores.

Jump to Post

03.15.2013 2:36pm

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

From what I've read that's going to be a bit hard, as all the official info states that the PC version will be digital download only, and only from SE's website, which sucks (to make matters worse, the stupid SE Account Mangement System only allows ClickNShit for 'once only' transactions like buying expansions - you can't use direct credit card/debit card transactions for it. Meaning I'll have to reactivate my stupud CnB account which I let lapse when my debit card that was registered to it expired in January).

That's the other reason why I'm not too interested in this - the fact that SE isn't even bothering with a retail DVD copy of the PC version, instead having ot go through stupid CnB to buy a digital copy, just makes it not worth bothering with. :(

Jump to Post

03.15.2013 4:00pm

Aquila
Usually lurking
Administrator

Zubis said:

Wings of the Goddess was full of recycled zones and took four years post initial release to be finished, so I wouldn't exactly say the bar's that high. Still, you have a point - the Adoulin zones look unfinished.

I guess that's what I meant.  While WotG has a lot of recycled zone, they were polished with new colors and skyboxes that they don't feel like they were from 2002.  In fact, the fog and the music alone made Gustaberg's atmosphere entirely different and I spent lots of time just sitting next to the waterfall and enjoying the music while chatting with LS.

Meanwhile, in Adoulin, those houses look like they were made in 10 minutes...just basic cubes with textures slapped on them.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter