Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Final Fantasy has been saved.

10.22.2013 8:23am
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Unlike Nomura, who has admitted several times he doesn't play games outside of work. He watches 2 or 3 movies a night instead.

Jump to Post

10.22.2013 9:04am

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

Hah, well, so far I am loving the game. I love everything about it,and I love how much it feels like a Final Fantasy. The last dungeon I did was Brayflox's Longstop, which I did twice in a row to help out someone who needed it done (I was supposed to run it with them the first time, but things got mixed up, I ran it with three strangers, long story).  I've read about this dungeon being a real "gateway" dungeon that weeds out all the bad players or people who aren't serious about or capable of finishing the game, but I didn't have much trouble with it. Despite a shaky start (healer left without a word for no reason I could see and we had to quit the dungeon), managed to beat it without wiping or letting anyone but me (one time) die both times. So I guess even a total MMO-noob like me who never played an MMO, never wanted to play an MMO, and never thought they even could play an MMO is getting the hang of things just fine. I have about a half-dozen friends on my friends list somehow, I'm in a Free Company (second-highest rank in the company, actually), I post junk on the markets and buy stuff from the markets, and I have a friend I've pretty much been running each dungeon since Toto-Rak with. He doesn't really bother me and I don't really bother him unless it's time for one of us to run the next dungeon, so we still very much do our own thing 99% of the time.

The solo stuff is addicting and fully fleshed out, too, don't ever doubt that. You will get sucked into it and lose track of what day it is guaranteed. The only things you need to do with other people are the dungeons. And yes, every dungeon in the game requires a group (Duty Finder works just fine for me, and besides that inexplicable healer dropout, I've never had a bad experience with it), but everything else in the game is pure solo content. A good chunk of the dungeons are optional, too, so you only have to do them if you want the loot or need to fill out your hunting logs. There's only about 9-10 required dungeons for the main storyline, and so far I haven't gotten stuck on any of them, with most runs being pretty much pain-free, death-free, wipe-free affairs. They're still hectic when I'm fending off mobs of enemies, and stressful as all hell every time I queue up for them, but despite all the horror stories I've read about dungeon experiences, I have yet to actually have a horror story of my own to share, even with a dozen dungeon runs under my belt now. Sastasha was probably the worst for me, having died multiple times while just getting through the place, but after all my other experiences I'm starting to think I just didn't have a really good healer. Still beat it first try, though, so even when shit happens, you should still win.

Basically, if you are still a fan of FF at all, play this game. MMO or not, I've found it casual and solo friendly enough to keep me going this far, and I don't suspect I'll quit before I beat the game. Post-game level 50 stuff? Who knows, I doubt I'll be doing it to the extent some players do it, but I may give it a whirl just to see what it's like if I can find three other people willing to go at it with the same carefree mentality. Dat Crystal Tower man.  Hard to pass it up after seeing the artwork for it.

Oh, and I finally saw Behemoth the other day! Saw a shout saying he was up, so I ran to Coerthas as fast as I could to witness this glorious mess of a battle, even though I was only level 37 and had no chance of doing any good in the fight.  As I had heard, he was invisible, as were most of the players, 90% of the time due to the PS3 not being able to handle it all. But I saw him for brief moments, and even took a few swings at him while I could. I died, was raised, died again, raised again, raised others as best I could (so many dead bodies everywhere...) since it was all I really could do, and managed to be there for both phases of the fight and witness the very first Behemoth kill on the Mateus server. Obviously I only got bronze, but it was awesome just to say I was there and saw him.

Saw Odin one time a while ago too, but I was the only player there, and the timer was almost up. I stuck around long enough to enjoy a nice Zantetsuken to the face and was damn happy to take it.

Jump to Post

10.22.2013 8:25pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

amaron said:

Toriyama wants his waifu in more games!

AND THERE WILL BE CAMEOS FOR ETERNITY WHETHER WE LIKE IT OR NOT.

Seriously though, all this positivity about FFXIV is making me hopeful.  And it's so unusual to hear so much positivity about FF.  Kind of nice.  Like the old days!

Jump to Post

10.22.2013 10:37pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

I'm glad you're enjoying the game FS. Shows that even the old die hard players can have fun with an online FF :)

Jump to Post

10.25.2013 1:16am
 (Edited on 10.25.2013 at 1:22am)

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Lol free spirit, you just sold me on this. I can't believe i'm gonna do it. Plus anyone sporting a Sho Minamimoto avatar clearly has taste.

Jump to Post

10.25.2013 5:15am

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

FFXIV is zetta good. Also, the music in this game is right up there at the very top of my all-time favorite FF music. I haven't really played an FF in years that's had as solidly epic a soundtrack as FFXIV does. I think only FFVIII so far has the better soundtrack. I'm only in Coerthas, but hot damn, every track's a winner, and the variety is astounding. Listen to just the Primal battle themes alone (yes, each Primal has its own music and battle theme) and you'll get a sense of how awesome and different the music in this game can be.

Jump to Post

10.25.2013 7:04am

Areas
Formerly Kenshin

I agree.  The soundtrack is fantastic.

Jump to Post

10.30.2013 7:13pm

Sam Biscuits
Custard Creams

All these good vibes about FF XIV makes me wish I hadn't started Guild Wars 2.  I don't really have time for one MMO let alone two, shame as it sounds brilliant.

Jump to Post

10.31.2013 12:45am

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

Free Spirit said:

FFXIV is zetta good. Also, the music in this game is right up there at the very top of my all-time favorite FF music. I haven't really played an FF in years that's had as solidly epic a soundtrack as FFXIV does. I think only FFVIII so far has the better soundtrack. I'm only in Coerthas, but hot damn, every track's a winner, and the variety is astounding. Listen to just the Primal battle themes alone (yes, each Primal has its own music and battle theme) and you'll get a sense of how awesome and different the music in this game can be.
To emphasize the awesomeness of the soundtrack, I like to compare the original Ul'dah theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oquox8Wnag4 ;(10 second of listening will be sufficient to get the idea)

With the new one, which is a bit like Rabanastre, but better :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVwSwmbVuoE
...and is basically as beautiful and full of hope as the reboot of FFXIV.  Also, the night version is even more beautiful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jrXEEBH-Zs

What a game.  Seriously, everyone, just try it.  Even if you quit after a month it will have been well worth it for the game alone, let alone the FF-cynicism that will just float away.

Jump to Post

10.31.2013 3:47pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

FFXIV has a distinct style that is really appealing too me. The art direction, the score, the character design. It makes you wonder how come the single player mainline FF games do not feel like this.

Jump to Post

10.31.2013 4:26pm

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

I really like how they change the regular battle theme as you progress into the more dangerous and high-level areas of the game. The three main areas have the basic battle theme kick in, but when you go to Coerthas, the battle theme kicks up a notch and reflects the more gothic atmosphere of the place, and when you go to Mor Dhona, the battle theme kicks it up another notch and has a sort of sad undertone to reflect the tragic, disaster-ridden atmosphere of that place.  And of course, the dungeons do this too. As I've progressed through the dungeons, they start off with your basic dungeon themes and battle themes in Sastasha, and then gradually get more epic and intense as the dungeons get harder and higher-leveled.

Every game should do this, and yet I can count on one hand the total number of games I've played that actually change the main battle theme as you progress through the game. What worked when you were a kid with a wooden stick fighting bugs and rabbits in your backyard will probably not fit when you're a hero of legend fighting the Lords of Hell.

And Yoshi-P is what's missing from other recent FF's.  He's someone that actually cares about and loves the series and genre, both as a designer and as a fan who actually plays the games for fun. Yoshi-P for FFXVI!

Jump to Post

10.31.2013 7:59pm

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

Yoshi-P is more than just a guy who cares about the games and the series - he actually cares about the players as well, as he's one of them. As mentioned he actually regularly plays FFXIV incognito and during the Alpha and Beta he would login to the game as well as his 'wandering minstrel' NPC and informally chat with players - the guy is so down to earth it's a welcome change of pace from stuffy suit-type developers like Tanaka before him who prefered to put a barrier between themselves and players and hide in the boardroom.

He is also charismatic enough to be the face of the game even while still retaining his humility and not forgetting his roots. Hence why his appointment to this committee is so promising. If anyone on this team can ensure something good can come from this instead of more stupid FFXIII-fanwanking by Toriyama, it's Yoshi.

Jump to Post

11.01.2013 4:43pm

shadowphoenix
It all ends with beginnings...

SuperSquall said:

To emphasize the awesomeness of the soundtrack, I like to compare the original Ul'dah theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oquox8Wnag4 ;(10 second of listening will be sufficient to get the idea)

With the new one, which is a bit like Rabanastre, but better :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVwSwmbVuoE
...and is basically as beautiful and full of hope as the reboot of FFXIV. Also, the night version is even more beautiful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jrXEEBH-Zs

What a game. Seriously, everyone, just try it. Even if you quit after a month it will have been well worth it for the game alone, let alone the FF-cynicism that will just float away.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like the old one better. Having said that, the night version is beautiful.

Jump to Post

11.01.2013 5:17pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

I do genuinely like the old Ul'dah music. I love most of the old 1.0 OST, to be honest, except for all the crappy synth guitar battle themes. That said the 2.0 soundtrack is even more amazing both for it's keen reuse of some of the 1.0 music and it's amazing new tracks.

Jump to Post

11.04.2013 5:26am

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

shadowphoenix said:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like the old one better. Having said that, the night version is beautiful.
The old one is not without merit but as far as atmosphere when walking the streets of Ul'dah the new one actually sounds like Ul'dah should.  It's a big, impressive, colorful, hopeful, bustling city.  And at night it's still that, but it's asleep.  The old theme did not reflect these at all.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter