Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Let Us End the Argument Once and for All

05.22.2012 5:44am
 (Edited on 05.22.2012 at 5:55am)

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Best Game (Your Overall Favorite) 3pts - Final Fantasy VI 
Best Story 2pts - Final Fantasy Tactics 
Best Playable Ensemble Cast 2pts - Final Fantasy VI 
Best Playable Character 1pt - Zidane (Final Fantasy IX) 
Best NPC Ensemble Cast 2pts - Final Fantasy VII 
Best NPC Character 1pt - Kefka (Final Fantasy VI) 
Best Overall Score 2pts - Final Fantasy VI 
Best Song 1pt - To Zanarkand (Final Fantasy X) 
Best Battle System 2pts - Final Fantasy X 
Best Ability Gaining System 1pt - Final Fantasy Tactics
Best For Replayability (ie which have you played the most) 2pts - Final Fantasy VI 
Best Overall Character Design (as in artwork) 1pt - Final Fantasy VI 
Best Difficulty Curve 1pt - Final Fantasy V

Worst Game -3pts - Final Fantasy XIII
Worst Story -2pts - Final Fantasy XIII
Worst Playable Ensemble Cast -2pts - Final Fantasy XIII 
Worst Playable Character -1pt - Final Fantasy XIII (Snow) 
Worst NPC Ensemble Cast -2pts - Final Fantasy X
Worst NPC Character -1pt - Villian of FF12 (forgot his name) (Final Fantasy XII) 
Worst Overall Score -2pts - Final Fantasy XII
Worst Song -1pt -  FF12's battle theme
Worst Battle System -2pts - Final Fantasy XIII 
Worst Ability Gaining System -1pt - Final Fantasy XIII HANDS DOWN 
Worst For Replayability (ie which have you beat 1 or less times) -2pts - Final Fantasy XIII . Only one besides 2 i haven't beaten once
Worst Overall Character Design 1pt - Final Fantasy 1. Generic random characters. Good for its time but aged terribly.
Worst Difficulty Curve (ie too frustrating or too easy) -1pt.  FF2, needlessly hard (at least the original NES one)

Comments:

FF6 was just brilliant how all the characters fed off each other. I also love villians that you love to hate, and NPC's that you love to love like general leo. The magic system was at a good balance, and the art direction was incredible, with highly detailed enemy sprites, that rival even sprites you'd see today. Soundtrack was incredible. Just a game that is rarely ever rivaled.

FF5 and FFT's job systems were so fun, if you throw them right into FF13 it would have probably been a game I liked. I just didn't like the ability system in that game and found it to be the polar opposite of the job system, which let me customize my characters and develop an entirely different strategy depending on who I was fighting against. FF13 pissed me off because it wouldn't let me use my strategy, even fucking ruining 30 minutes of hard work I spent planning a strategy by randomly changing my entire setup before a boss without warning me. FUCK THAT SHIT.

FF7 was a solid overall game and if not for its poor synth soundtrack, brainless materia system, and relatively weak main villian, it could have been my favorite. The story and characters were good which is what are the meat and bones. Quick fast paced battle system. My third fav in teh series.

FF9 was a CLOSE second. I just love the characters to bits, love the storyline, love the battle system despite its slowness, and love the npcs and charming world. And incredible soundtrack also a close overall 2nd to FF6's.

FF8 was a good game. Liked junctioning a ton, put me to think more often than most of the games in the series. The plot was good too, but I found the characters overall unlikeable.  fantastic soundtrack. 

FF13 had good character designs and a good soundtrack. Everything else was absolutely horrid.

FF12 was extremely weakened by a lack of memorable music or memorable villians. I'm not an idiot, but I can't even remember who the villians were or why they wanted to take over.  At least I even know that about FF13 and I didn't even finish the game!

FF4 I find to be the most overrated in the series. It was an OK game. There was a time I liked it more than FF8, but not anymore. It's just barely above FF12 and FF13 for me. 

FF10's strongest point was its world and characters. absolutely loved the characters, and Tidus as well. best ending in the series, wish that was a category!

Jump to Post

05.22.2012 5:49am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Spidey said:

I used to hate FF12. then I played FF13 and didnt realize how good I had it. Bow FF12 is just average to me upon letting my rage go and being objective about it.
I think the difference between XII and XIII for me is that â?? to grossly simplify it â?? XII just bored me to tears, while XIII went one further and managed to actively annoy the shit out of me.

Jump to Post

05.22.2012 5:55am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

That was poetic - exactly true!

Jump to Post

05.27.2012 10:37pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Hahaha, yeah that's fairly accurate...

Jump to Post

05.28.2012 12:21pm

Blayze
Registered Member

Spidey said:
FF12 was extremely weakened by a lack of memorable music or memorable villians. I'm not an idiot, but I can't even remember who the villians were or why they wanted to take over.  At least I even know that about FF13 and I didn't even finish the game!

Pretty much how I feel about XII, a fantastic world, with the deserts, mountains forests and cities all being great places to explore, and in that regard it was a real step forward for FInal Fantasy, and one which could have been continued into XIII with a new generation of consoles. Rabanastre, the floating city that strongly reminded me of a few old Balearic towns I've visited IRL, the pirate themed town towards the end; all of these places had real character, but because of the characters and storyline, I felt no emotional investment in any of them.

However, I can't remember a single enemy or their motives. I'm sure there was an evil Cid at some point, and a guy with sunglasses, but other than that I'm drawing a complete blank, and can't remember a single facet of the story of motivation for any character, bad or good.

Oh, and I personally thought the battle system, ability system were both horrible, although still marginally better than XIII. Not to mention the loot system. The music was just background ambience too, I long for the days of VII where each locale had a memorable piece to accompany it, a la Cosmo Canyon, the Temple of the Ancients, Gold Saucer, Kalm etc

Jump to Post

05.28.2012 6:13pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Those are my feelings on it too.  It had a wonderful world with a lot of great lore, but an absolutely boring story.

Jump to Post

05.28.2012 7:22pm

Kal
yes

Blayze said:, I long for the days of VII where each locale had a memorable piece to accompany it, a la Cosmo Canyon, the Temple of the Ancients, Gold Saucer, Kalm etc
Oh Gold Saucer theme is memorable alright... but not in a good way.
Tumdumdumtadadadumdum over and over and over again :D

Jump to Post

05.28.2012 11:40pm

Blayze
Registered Member

Kal said:

Oh Gold Saucer theme is memorable alright... but not in a good way.
Tumdumdumtadadadumdum over and over and over again :D
Oh no doubt it was horrible, not helped by the obscene amount of time you had to spend there to complete some minigames. But it matched the carnival atmosphere perfectly. Good or bad, having music that complements the location, such as Zozo, the Veldt, Cosmo Canyon, Treno etc, could have done a lot to make XII that much more memorable; the game managed to some things very well, music unfortunately was not one of them :(

Jump to Post

05.29.2012 2:02am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I loved the Gold Saucer theme! It's not something I listen to in my car or play at parties, but like Blayze pointed out, sometimes its more important for a theme to match the setting and mood than it is for it to be super enjoyable.

Jump to Post

05.30.2012 7:20pm

Yoshiyuki Ly
Shinsengumi

Best Game (Your Overall Favorite) 3pts - Final Fantasy XIII-2 (I'm serious)
Best Story 2pts - Final Fantasy VIII
Best Playable Ensemble Cast 2pts - Final Fantasy VI
Best Playable Character 1pt - Final Fantasy X (Lulu)
Best NPC Ensemble Cast 2pts - Final Fantasy XII
Best NPC Character 1pt - Final Fantasy XIII-2 (Caius)
Best Overall Score 2pts - Final Fantasy XIII-2
Best Song 1pt - Final Fantasy VI (Dancing Mad)
Best Battle System 2pts - Final Fantasy XI
Best Ability Gaining System 1pt - Final Fantasy Tactics
Best For Replayability (ie which have you played the most) 2pts - Final Fantasy Tactics
Best Overall Character Design (as in artwork) 1pt - Final Fantasy XII
Best Difficulty Curve 1pt - Final Fantasy V

Worst Game -3pts - Final Fantasy III
Worst Story -2pts - Final Fantasy II
Worst Playable Ensemble Cast -2pts - Final Fantasy III
Worst Playable Character -1pt - Final Fantasy XII (Vaan)
Worst NPC Ensemble Cast -2pts - Final Fantasy I
Worst NPC Character -1pt - Final Fantasy IX (Queen Brahne)
Worst Overall Score -2pts - Final Fantasy II
Worst Song -1pt - Final Fantasy XIII (The Yaschas Massif)
Worst Battle System -2pts - Final Fantasy III
Worst Ability Gaining System -1pt - Final Fantasy IV
Worst For Replayability (ie which have you beat 1 or less times) -2pts - Final Fantasy II
Worst Overall Character Design 1pt - Final Fantasy II
Worst Difficulty Curve (ie too frustrating or too easy) -1pt - Final Fantasy XI

Jump to Post

06.01.2012 3:36pm

Cameron
Registered Member

Blayze said:

Pretty much how I feel about XII, a fantastic world, with the deserts, mountains forests and cities all being great places to explore, and in that regard it was a real step forward for FInal Fantasy, and one which could have been continued into XIII with a new generation of consoles. Rabanastre, the floating city that strongly reminded me of a few old Balearic towns I've visited IRL, the pirate themed town towards the end; all of these places had real character, but because of the characters and storyline, I felt no emotional investment in any of them.

However, I can't remember a single enemy or their motives. I'm sure there was an evil Cid at some point, and a guy with sunglasses, but other than that I'm drawing a complete blank, and can't remember a single facet of the story of motivation for any character, bad or good.

Oh, and I personally thought the battle system, ability system were both horrible, although still marginally better than XIII. Not to mention the loot system. The music was just background ambience too, I long for the days of VII where each locale had a memorable piece to accompany it, a la Cosmo Canyon, the Temple of the Ancients, Gold Saucer, Kalm etc
-
I think the reason for this is because of how long the gameplay in between story interaction was.  You could wander and battle for hours before you'd get a shred of information about the story.  Personally, I didn't mind, because it was the first time I actually enjoyed fightning random encounters and felt really compelled to upgrade my characters.
-
The story is a tad convoluted anyways though.  If I recall correctly, it was basically a political intrigue story for most of the game - similar to Final Fantasy Tactics (which I still think is the best story in the franchise) - but then rapidly unfolds into an unnecessarry conflict about defeating the Gods who control human fate or some rubbish.  I  was happier when I thought Vayne was just trying to conquer Ivalice with his military empire.  

Jump to Post

06.01.2012 3:50pm

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

I think the story that's there in FFXII is good once you get into the meat of it.  The problem is that there is so little of it compared to the size of the game.  I spent about 120 hours playing the game, and probably devoted about 20 of it to advancing the plot.  Compared to a similar game like Xenoblade that had multiple major plot developments in every area and side quests that, if they didn't advance the overplot at least added depth to the world and its people, it was incredibly sparse and unsatsifying.  I actually thought Vayne was a pretty good villain.  There was just too little of him relative to the amount of game you had to play through to confront him.

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

06.01.2012 4:16pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

The more I play of Xenoblade Chronicles, the more I realize that it's everything FF12 tried to do in terms of gameplay (both battle system and overall structure), except it does it completely right. Plus the music is actually good.

Jump to Post

06.01.2012 4:34pm
 (Edited on 06.01.2012 at 4:40pm)

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Time to show off the fact that honestly, I just don't enjoy the pre-7 games all that much.

Best Game (Your Overall Favorite) 3pts - 8.  I will defend 8 to my dying day, and none of that is nostalgia.  I did a replay last year and the only negative thing I could say about it was that the scene where your friends yell at you for not rescuing Rinoa right away (instead rescuing a bunch of other, equally helpless people) is just dumb dumb dumb.

Best Story 2pts - 6.
I don't think this needs much explaining.  I wish the gameplay was more enjoyable.

Best Playable Ensemble Cast 2pts - 10, by a wide-ass margin. 
No one in 10 seems sidelined except the furball.  Everyone has a very specific story/gameplay role that only vanishes it you pile hours of leveling up into them and turn then into powerhouses.

Best Playable Character 1pt - 12, Balthier.
Assuming "Playable Character" means any party member, and not the "main" character... There is nobody more awesome than Balthier.  Squall and Quistis, Cloud and Cid, Celes, Locke, and Edgar, Freya and Vivi, Lulu and Auron, Ashe, Sazh and Lightning are up there, but man, Balthier is just too fucking cool for words.

Best NPC Ensemble Cast 2pts - 9.
Assuming this means characters outside of the party and ignoring the main villian... 7 (Shinra), 8 (Seifer and his goons, Edea), and 9 (Beatrix, Brahne, and Cid) are the only ones where the "supporting" cast are memorable to me at all in such a way that the memories are good.  9s are just the best, though 8 is close behind.

Best NPC Character 1pt - 9.
This is a really hard choice to make, but man, I really like Beatrix a lot.

Best Overall Score 2pts - 10.
7 and 8 are close, and 6 is up there, but 10 has the most memorable and emotive soundtrack there is.

Best Song 1pt - 10.
10's "Ending Theme" is hauntingly beautiful and is on record as being the only soundtrack song that has actively made me cry.

Best Battle System 2pts - 10.
Man I'm giving 10 a lot of points here.  10's system is both the most fun and the least frustrating.  I wish they'd kept at it instead of going back to the frustrating ATB system.

Best Ability Gaining System 1pt - 8.
I won't lie, I straight-up love junctioning, and the way it turns the practical consequence of magic use into a gameable system.  7's Materia and 6's Espers are close.   I hate 9's weapon system and I hate the abstract Sphere Grid (and it's knockoffs in 12 and 13) with a passion.  6-9, at least, had a system that made a sort of sense in the world, where as 10-13 the entire system is a gameplay function (unless you really think Yuna and co. are hauling around a giant board and popping marbles in it).

Best For Replayability (ie which have you played the most) 2pts - 7.
This is a hard one.  8, 10, and 12 lose out because of early long, boring stretches. 9 loses out because of how clunky it feels, esp. in battle.  6 because of how much I dislike the actual gameplay.  13 because it's just too fucking hard.

Best Overall Character Design (as in artwork) 1pt - 6.
For doing so much with so little.  Sprites are awesome.

Best Difficulty Curve 1pt - 7.
6, 9, 12, and 13 are just too hard.  8 is too easy to break, 10 is too easy period until suddenly out of nowhere it's not (I'm looking at you, snowy mountains followed by Zanarkand followed by fucking Yunalesca).  Even on my first playthrough there was no point in 7 where I felt like I was underpowered, but at the same time the game never stopped being challenging.

Worst Game -3pts - 5.
I don't know why, I just really hated this game.

Worst Story -2pts - 13.
I enjoyed 13 quite a bit, but that doesn't mean the story ever started making sense for me.

Worst Playable Ensemble Cast -2pts - 9
All the games have a few nuggets in the cast that I don't like, but I think 9 has the most, at a lowly 3 (Eiko, Amaron, Quina).

Worst Playable Character -1pt - 10.
Seriously, fuck Tidus.

Worst NPC Ensemble Cast -2pts - 13.
The NPC cast of 13 aren't characters.

Worst NPC Character -1pt - 9.
I'm trying to think of a non-party character I dislike more than Kuja, and I just can't do it.

Worst Overall Score -2pts - 13-2.
Seriously.

Worst Song -1pt -13-2.
EVERYBODY WANNA RIDE YO CHOCOBO, SO CUTE SO FIERCE  *gouges out ears*

Worst Battle System -2pts - 12.
It's just so clumsy.  Bonus points for being a waste of potential.

Worst Ability Gaining System -1pt - 10.
The sphere grid doesn't make any fuckign sense!  12 and 13's are practically based on it and they're horrible too.

Worst For Replayability (ie which have you beat 1 or less times) -2pts - 13.
Again, I really enjoyed 13, but the frustrating level of difficulty really made me not want to play it again.

Worst Overall Character Design 1pt - 10.
No one in Spira knows how to dress properly.

Worst Difficulty Curve (ie too frustrating or too easy) -1pt - 8.
Loathe as I am to take any of 8s scant points away (it's my favorite in the series), it's just too damn easy to break it with junctioning.  13 is a close second for the afforementioned ridicudifficulty, but 8's breakability is a downright tragic flaw on an otherwise masterful game.

Totals, for my own reference:
5: -3
6: +3
7: +3
8: +3
9: +2
10: +4
12: -1
13: -6
13-2: -3

Jump to Post

06.01.2012 10:03pm

Feanor
Dominator

Best Game - FF VII
Best Story - FF VII
Best Playable Ensemble Cast - FF VII
Best Playable Character - Squall, FF VIII (dealwithit.jpg)  
Best NPC Ensemble Cast - FF VII
Best NPC Character - Cid, FF XII
Best Overall Score - FF VIII
Best Song - The Oath, FF VIII
Best Battle System - FF X
Best Ability Gaining System - FF V
Best For Replayability -
Best Overall Character Design - FF IX
Best Difficulty Curve - FF VIII

Would do the worst list but I'd probably just dump everything on FF I or II, both of which I could only play a miniscule amount of and I don't want to try the modern updates of.

Thoughts and reminiscences of the FF games from the 16bit era onwards (even if I haven't played them for over a decade):

FF IV - Great game! Caves with dark elves, underground dwarf kingdoms, intergalactic whale spaceship - this game had so much classic fantasy stuff. Cecil becomes an absolute tank at the end (seriously, I remember him taking fuck all damage by the end). Shame everyone comes back from the dead (and Kain can't stop stabbing you in the back).

FF V - Butz. Nuff said. OK, that and Gil Toss. And the awesome job system. And Faris. And Gilgamesh. And the intergalactic time-space tree as final villain. Screw the haters, V was awesome to play, even if it was a little light on the plot and character development.

FF VI - Never got the love for this. Hated Kafka. Thought the World of Ruin was lame. Too many pointless characters.

FF VII - Probably clunky as hell to play today but so much goodness on four discs. Nostalgia or not there's too much I like about this game to list. R.I.P. Squaresoft.

FF VIII - I originally thought this game was lame, then I replayed it, realised how to break the Draw and Junction system early on, avoided spreading the Random rule and generally had a blast. Awesome music. Rinoa is still a pretty terrible character but I do think Squall is awesome (emo or not he was one of the more realistic FF characters). It's the only FF game where I got my entire party up to level 99.

FF IX - LOVE the world of IX. <3 my copy of "The Art of Final Fantasy IX". Cast is probably, on average, the best (whilst I don't think it has any real stand outs there's no-one I really dislike either). I also love, love the start of the game. Remember being wow'ed when I first played it and did the mock sword fight with Blank and escaping the castle and crashing into the forest. Love the weapon / accessory ability system too. Need to replay this (on the less-slower NTSC version) one day because there's a tonne of stuff I've never done.

FF X - That dub. Fuck, I'd probably like this game more if I didn't hate the leads voices. At least it made getting the ultimate weapons challenging with its tests. It's an OK game. I find it tought to get excited either way about X.

FF XII - Great start, great end. Shame about the gapping hole of plot and character development in the middle. Battle system was extremely cheap at times too (lulz, tough-as-nails boss just turned invincible). Gambits were lame. Still, if Matsuno hadn't quit halfway through and Vaan and Penelo been crowbarred into the game this could have been something special as there's some great bits to the game. IZJS makes the license board and game a lot better - ought to pick-up that replay I started a couple of years ago.

FF XIII - Fuck, if this game had been Gran Pulse I'd probably love it, because I adored exploring that huge area and completing quests. That part of the game almost saved the game. Too bad it had the worst villain in the series, kept half the plot hidden in the log files and didn't explain things properly. Weapon system was sort of poo too. What was it about this game? It felt like it never got going. I kept waiting for it to kick off and it never did. Hmm.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter