Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Square Enix President stepping down [Kotaku]

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 Next >

03.28.2013 4:33am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

How about instead of constant remakes to past games, they concentrate on making the new ones better?

Jump to Post

03.28.2013 4:53am

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

Onyx said:

How about instead of constant remakes to past games, they concentrate on making the new ones better?

Good god, man!  Are you out of your mind!?  Where are these going to get these new ones from, Western Developers?  They don't know shit!

Jump to Post

03.28.2013 5:56am
 (Edited on 03.28.2013 at 4:56pm)

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Soul Hunter said:

Remake FFVI using FFXIII technology. Problem solved.  SQEX takes over the universe.

Nah ... I'd like my FFVI to have nice visuals.

Jump to Post

03.28.2013 8:00am

Scribe
The Taru

There hasn't been a bad battle system in the series, but viii came close. The rest of the game has been shit since X on.

Jump to Post

03.28.2013 11:07am

Soul Hunter
Ambitious but rubbish
Administrator

CaButler said:
Good god, man!  Are you out of your mind!?  Where are these going to get these new ones from, Western Developers?  They don't know shit!

I'm sure we all want new games to regain the glory of the good old years, but I have to share CaB's skepticism here.  Current gaming trends have not been friendly to grizzled vets of golden age gaming and corporate influences to the industry are not about to help either.

Jump to Post

03.28.2013 4:09pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

I was actually being mostly sarcastic, given that SE recently blamed their problems on the Western Developers.

Jump to Post

03.28.2013 4:23pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Which is hilarious because those Western devs have made the only good games with the Square Enix name (Arkham Asylum, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Tomb Raider) on the box this generation.

Jump to Post

03.29.2013 12:15am
 (Edited on 03.29.2013 at 12:24am)

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Aquila said:

While he was ultimately responsbile for a lot of things, I feel like the failure of FF series in this gen was largely due to the teams themselves, unless Wada personally told them to make the games in those specific ways.  .

I'm pretty sure the decision to force Van as the head of FF12 instead of Basche was ultimately up to him deciding to go with the research/marketing team's suggestion rather than the developers (Matsuno)

Also, my 2 cents on this ff6 battle system discussion:

The only thing that makes FF6 easier than FF1 and other old FF's is that you don't need to grind. It's not like you can play smart through FF1 or FF4. You gotta grind in those games unless you've beaten them like 5 times and are now super familiar with every enemy weakness, strategy and ally's strengths and weaknesses. It's not possible to play smart in those games to beat them on a first try, they are grindfests. Personally I like that FF6 just took the grinding away.

FF5 is the only FF game that has ever been difficult without requiring reasonable amounts of grinding. That's just the brilliance of how many options the job system gives you. I've always liked RPGs that give yo the approach of "enemies are fucking strong, fucking huge on HP and MP, and have crazy strong defense. but here, i'm gonna give you 200 different abilities and you figure out something that works" To me RPGs that do this are always the most fun.

Jump to Post

03.29.2013 7:02am

Soul Hunter
Ambitious but rubbish
Administrator

CaButler said:

I was actually being mostly sarcastic, given that SE recently blamed their problems on the Western Developers.

Ah okay, so I'm the only skeptical one here about SE's staff.

Jump to Post

03.29.2013 7:15am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Spidey said:

I'm pretty sure the decision to force Van as the head of FF12 instead of Basche was ultimately up to him deciding to go with the research/marketing team's suggestion rather than the developers (Matsuno)

Also, my 2 cents on this ff6 battle system discussion:

The only thing that makes FF6 easier than FF1 and other old FF's is that you don't need to grind. It's not like you can play smart through FF1 or FF4. You gotta grind in those games unless you've beaten them like 5 times and are now super familiar with every enemy weakness, strategy and ally's strengths and weaknesses. It's not possible to play smart in those games to beat them on a first try, they are grindfests. Personally I like that FF6 just took the grinding away.

Regarding FFVI I think it becomes easy once you over power your characters with the Equipment, Relics and Espers you get from the World of Ruin. But remember you get the Airship early in the World of Ruin and with, at least, only three characters what I am thinking is that the developers weren't expeceting everyone to find every dungeon and secret before they go to  Kefka's Tower.

In the US Releae it was pretty easy to find every secret because the game came with a World Map (like most RPG's before).

But this was the US localization but what about the original Japanese Developers and how they released the game? I actually have a Japanese Super Famicom copy of FFVI. I bought it when I was in Japan a few years back (I think for like 2000 yen so a nice deal). Now it maybe because it's a used copy but the game only had an instruction manual. No world map or any sort of strategy guide. Of course this is only true if that was the actual JP Packaging. 

So I'm willing to be withouth that World Map found in the US Packaging it would be much harder and cryptic getting everything in the game.

Jump to Post

03.29.2013 4:41pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

FF1 was not a grindfest unless you didn't know what you were doing. Figuring out and taking advantage of the system are big parts of the game, like knowing that party order determined frequency of enemy attack (50% first spot, 25% second spot, 12.5% third and fourth spots). Resource management was a big part of it, too.

If FF1 turned into a grindfest, that was the because the player made it one.

Jump to Post

03.29.2013 4:49pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

I remember having real trouble with FF1 back in the day until a friend showed me the Nintendo Power strategy guide and I learned about weapons that could be used as items to cast spells.  Mind.  Blown.

Jump to Post

03.29.2013 4:56pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

Onyx said:

FF1 was not a grindfest unless you didn't know what you were doing. Figuring out and taking advantage of the system are big parts of the game, like knowing that party order determined frequency of enemy attack (50% first spot, 25% second spot, 12.5% third and fourth spots). Resource management was a big part of it, too.

If FF1 turned into a grindfest, that was the because the player made it one.

Did they change that in future FFI releases? I ask because I've noticed on Origins that my last two spots seem to be getting hit more often.

Jump to Post

03.29.2013 5:02pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

As far as I know they kept them the same. The RNG Gods are merciless though.

And yeah, those weapons that can cast spells are incredibly useful, especially with how limited magic is due to the Vancian style the series used before MP became the standard. You're supposed to use those weapon spells as your main attack as mages while saving your spellbook stuff for when you really need it. That's a big part of the resource management part of the game.

Jump to Post

03.29.2013 5:45pm

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

Onyx said:

Uh, Final Fantasy V says hello even without your selective and bizarre disqualification of FFIV as a "true" ATB game. You couldn't be more wrong.
Okay, I'll give you FFV.  As a person who lives in North America, I didn't play FFV until emulation made it possible well after FFVI had been out, but since I was making a point about release date that's definitely a fair point.  I won't really give you FFIV though

The reason FFIV doesn't count is because that even though there is a real time component to the player actions, the fact that you cannot modify battle order means that character turn order is essentially locked.  The only way to break turn order is to have a character (Rydia) cast a spell with an extremely long warm up period (e.g. Meteo).  In the end that will break her out of the rigid turn order but that's about it.  If you have all of your characters do similar actions the turn order will never change, so what you really have is a system where ATB gauge fill speed doesn't really matter.  ATB that doesn't result in a different turn order isn't really meaningful.  And in FFIV the only real consequence of ATB is that enemies can keep wailing on you if you take a long time.  FFV has a bit more flexibility on that, but you still can't skip turns (i.e. the thing that happens when you press X in FFVI).  In FFVI both of those things could happen so the battle mode finally has a meaningful real time component.

Re: "FFVI is too easy"
Yes and no.  We played this game 20 years ago and now take for granted that we know how to get every Esper, how to get every character in the World of Ruin, that you need to take Locke to Narshe in the World of Ruin to unlock the door to get the Ragnarok which you could turn into a sword which you get bet to get the Illumina.  Back when it was just you and your wits the game was a bit harder.  Granted, it still wasn't a super challenging game, but don't discount how many experiece points you've gained playing it.  We aren't level 1 gamers anymore - of course the game is easy now.  In all honesty the only FF that is really difficult would be the original NES version of FF1 (because that interface made it hard to play - always keeping an empty armor inventory slot *just* so you could find out what was in chests), and FF5.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter