Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Square Enix President stepping down [Kotaku]

< Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 Next >

04.19.2013 2:52am

Crux
A mental Dentist's office

Shadow said:

http://www.ea.com/news/we-can-do-better

I'm someone that pays very close attention to industry trends (a lot more than almost anyone I know), I can assure you my morale is not only  high...but I'm also very proud to be working for EA.
That was far better written than the fake letter pointing out the worse companies in the world.

Jump to Post

04.19.2013 5:11am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

As for EA ... letter or no letter what matters if customer sees the change. I kind of feel like their approach in combating used games is wrong and seems to stem more on screwing the consumer.

Which I why I applaud Bethesda with their comments on used games and piracy. Sure it's a concern for them and they want to avoid it but they are tackling it in a way that provides value to the consumer.

Absolutely it's a concern," Hines said. "We have tried to mitigate it by creating games that offer replayability, by supporting them with DLC that's worth hanging onto the game for, or offering tools that let them take things further

see ... value is better than methods to screw the gamer.

source: https://asia.gamespot.com/news/bethesda-used-games-absolutely-a-concern-6407023

Yes I am aware of Horse Armor but let's just look past that.

Cult of Personality said:

You wouldn't happen to work for a major electronics retailer, would you?

Retailer nope, it's pretty recent like 2 or 3 years ago :-P

Dr Squirrel said:

that narrows it down to only like a hundred companies

Yeah what's funnier is that the next one was only CEO for 11 months. And before he came in the share price of the company was in the low to high 40's then he got fired because he sucked and when he left share prices were at the low 20's. He also got a $13 Million severence :-|. At least the last one, despite his issues with ethics and conduct, contributed to the company's positive performance and high share prices even though part of it was because of cost cutting and laying off people but hey becuause of the company's recent blunders that's happening anyways :-(

Thankfully I've been safe in my 5 years there.

Jump to Post

04.19.2013 5:31am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

The EA letter is filled with vague and hollow words. Let's see them actually put their money where their mouth is and act on these vows to do better. I'm not expecting much.

Jump to Post

04.23.2013 9:08am
 (Edited on 04.23.2013 at 10:02am)

Arckanghel
Pirate.

shooter_mcgavin said:

As for EA ... letter or no letter what matters if customer sees the change. I kind of feel like their approach in combating used games is wrong and seems to stem more on screwing the consumer.

Which I why I applaud Bethesda with their comments on used games and piracy. Sure it's a concern for them and they want to avoid it but they are tackling it in a way that provides value to the consumer.

Yeah what's funnier is that the next one was only CEO for 11 months. And before he came in the share price of the company was in the low to high 40's then he got fired because he sucked and when he left share prices were at the low 20's. He also got a $13 Million severence :-|. At least the last one, despite his issues with ethics and conduct, contributed to the company's positive performance and high share prices even though part of it was because of cost cutting and laying off people but hey becuause of the company's recent blunders that's happening anyways :-(

Thankfully I've been safe in my 5 years there.

HP.

As for the EA letter, several of the claims are dubious, let alone the empty promises of "we won't fuck it up next time." I hope your feelings are right Shadow, but in the meantime it's a story I'm not buying and promises of future glory don't heal past mistakes, especially not with the manner of EA's apologies.

EDIT:
This:
https://kotaku.com/am-i-an-idiot-for-playing-simcity-477470307

And The list of things being fixed almost  two months from release:
https://www.simcity.com/en_GB/blog/article/simcity-update-2-point-0-uk

Jump to Post

04.23.2013 4:09pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Arckanghel said:

HP.

And the winner is you

Jump to Post

04.26.2013 3:50am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

Real Talk. All prior talk aside, I hope you weren't part of teh layoffs today Shadow. I don't wish that on anyone.

For reference, here's teh article on them for anyone who hasn't heard. Another sad day in gaming.

https://kotaku.com/heres-the-memo-ea-sent-employees-during-todays-layoff-481434626

Jump to Post

04.26.2013 9:44am
Thread Creator

Shadow
Comes and goes like the wind...

Arckanghel said:

Real Talk. All prior talk aside, I hope you weren't part of teh layoffs today Shadow. I don't wish that on anyone.

For reference, here's teh article on them for anyone who hasn't heard. Another sad day in gaming.

https://kotaku.com/heres-the-memo-ea-sent-employees-during-todays-layoff-481434626

Fortunately I was not affected.

It can be a volatile industry though, and I've unfortunately seen layoffs happen in some form or another at every studio I've worked at. Been lucky they've never affected me, but sometimes you feel like it's only a matter of time.

Jump to Post

04.30.2013 11:06pm

Zubis
Registered Member

https://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/redundancies-hit-square-enix-europe/0114853

Layoffs at Square-Enix Europe. So basically layoffs everywhere except Japan.

Jump to Post

05.01.2013 2:07pm

Crisium
N/A

That article really points to how successful Tomb Raider, Hitman and Sleeping Dogs were.  But SE somehow expects them to rival CoD...

Jump to Post

05.14.2013 2:14am
 (Edited on 05.14.2013 at 2:25am)

Zubis
Registered Member

https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=556968

SE's new plan - less focus on worldwide AAA titles and more focus on regional console gaming and smartphones it seems...so more of what they're doing with Eidos?

"Square Enix talking about giving consumers early access to game progress saying they have forced consumers to wait too long"

As I said on FB, they announced FF13 at 3% completion and three years too early...are we going to be told about FF16 the day someone comes up with an idea while sitting on the loo?

Jump to Post

05.14.2013 4:12am

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

Zubis said:

https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=556968

SE's new plan - less focus on worldwide AAA titles and more focus on regional console gaming and smartphones it seems...so more of what they're doing with Eidos?

As I said on FB, they announced FF13 at 3% completion and three years too early...are we going to be told about FF16 the day someone comes up with an idea while sitting on the loo?

And not a bit of it will make a fucking difference.

They've completely lost sight what made them the best RPG studio in gaming.

Jump to Post

05.14.2013 4:42am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Something brought up on a friend's FB: remember when Square Enix got FF8-11 all out within a very timely period? What happened to that kind of management? FF8 and 10 was one studio, FF9 was another, and FF11 was yet another.

Jump to Post

05.14.2013 1:30pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

Onyx said:

Something brought up on a friend's FB: remember when Square Enix got FF8-11 all out within a very timely period? What happened to that kind of management? FF8 and 10 was one studio, FF9 was another, and FF11 was yet another.

That's the thing... they still have the multiple studios... now they're just working on endless FFXIII games, salvaging the FFXIV disaster, and now the cheap mobile games.

How times have changed.

Jump to Post

05.14.2013 4:30pm

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

Onyx said:

I honestly believe it's because Sakaguchi was still the producer of the series at that point. The right talent was at the right places and they were able to stick to schedule. When he left the company, things rapidly fell apart. Internal development was a shell of its former self by the end of the PS2 era and now it's not even that. Compare to Atlus which has released dozens of middle market games in the same period. Squeenix's internal development has been woefully inefficient. Compare to what MistWalker has accomplished with much smaller budgets and smaller teams. Squeenix is aiming too high in terms of visuals, has teams with too many people and are lacking in centralized vision. No one even knows "WHAT" Final Fantasy means anymore and it's not like the series didn't take risks or mess around with its identity back in the '90s and early-2000s. It's more that the games felt more cohesive, trusted the players' intelligence, and set and met reasonable production goals.

You need to be able to make a good game before you can make a great one. FFXIII tried to be a great one, but failed to be good. It has many brilliant individual pieces, but it didn't hang together. FFXII lost its central creative voice midway into development and, as a result, was horribly underwritten and felt VACANT. FFXIII-2 on the other hand was cranked out by Tri-Ace in short order and played a hell of a lot better than FFXIII, even if the story (which Tri-Ace wasn't responsible for, but I wouldn't want them writing it anyway) was crap. So what do they do? Reinvent the wheel instead of continuing the improvements of XIII-2. I don't get it.

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

05.17.2013 12:38am
 (Edited on 05.17.2013 at 12:58am)

Iaian
Retainer

Onyx said:

I honestly believe it has a lot to do with corporate politics getting in the way of production.

It started precisely with FFXII, it was probably the first FF game that had some serious fundamental problems in getting completed. I'm willing to bet corporate heads were constantly changing their minds trying to predict the future in which the game would sell and dictate massive changes and revisions accordingly thereby pushing the game back and causing further revisions for the future until Matsuno basically said: "Fuck it, I'm out! Never again!"

Then FFXIII came along and nobody on the dev team knew what the game was going to be until about a year before release. There's a post mortem on it on the internet somewhere and it is an amazing read. They had zero direction at all. The fact they scrambled together all the art assets, mechanics, a world, and a barely coherent story together in a year is utterly ridiculous. That they managed to come up with one of the series' best battle system (second only to FFX's I feel) in the process is a goddamned miracle.

Then FFIV came out and it was so badly put together and S-E so embarrassed by the product that they had to publicly announce they'd be starting development over from scratch. Apart from that I haven't been following it.

FFXIIIvs is likely stuck in the same development hell that FFXIII was in. (i.e. nobody has any idea what the game should be)

FFXIII-2 was bad fan fiction wrapped up in the asset remnants of FFXIII with a couple new twists. Basically as little effort as possible went into the game.

FFXIII-3 is basically an "oh shit, THANKS writer guy for forcing this hell on us. You trolling bastard!" response.

I think that because of FFXII all the staff are now so scared of an unpredictable executive that they don't even know if they should even work on projects for fear of having to revise them constantly due pushing the release date back further and incorporating future changes in ad infinitum. And if someone does manage to scrape something together it is done out of pure spite.

It's also probably why the games that do get completed so efficiently are outsourced projects anyways. Seriously, when HAS S-E's own development teams produced anything of note or is producing anything of note apart from the FFXIII series and FFIV. I haven't been keeping track but that's what it looks like to me.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter