Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Square Enix President stepping down [Kotaku]

< Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 Next >

05.17.2013 2:44am

Wipwned
YEEEEEAAAH!

Iaian said:

Then FFXIII came along and nobody on the dev team knew what the game was going to be until about a year before release. There's a post mortem on it on the internet somewhere and it is an amazing read. They had zero direction at all. The fact they scrambled together all the art assets, mechanics, a world, and a barely coherent story together in a year is utterly ridiculous. That they managed to come up with one of the series' best battle system (second only to FFX's I feel) in the process is a goddamned miracle.

Whoa, whoa, stop.

Final Fantasy XIII had the best battle system? How?

The crystarium was a peice of shit that road blocked you every single time you started to gain momentum on the bloody thing. It's was a single straight line of progression which had no real purpose other than to pad gameplay by having you stare at a line progress for hours, something which could've been just as easily streamlined by the game simply giving out stat boost and spells when a character leveled up. It'd be more rational than handing out a random number of Crystarium Points based on battle rank (also seemingly randomised) which are needlessly large numbers (why the hell do skills start at 300 or so crystarium and not, oh, say, 3?).

The combat removed any control you had over your party, leaving you with the party leader to control, even though the most likely outcome was to just use the auto-command function to save time. Speaking of the party leader, if they died, instant game over. No chance to pass off control, no ability to have another character automatically use a portion of the gauge to save you, nope, game over if the enemy decides to ignore the other characters and head straight for the party leader, which it'll do often.

Or how about the Paradigm Shift system? The one that made your character perform a flashy unskippable dance move the first time you change paradigms in battle and during that little dance, enemies attack in real time. I cannot count the number of times the party leader died because they were too busy with the Paradigm Shift Shuffle to actually take action to stay alive.

So, I have to ask, how in the world FFXIII qualifies as the best combat system given the ridiculous number of flaws present in design?

Jump to Post

05.17.2013 4:50am

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

On the subject of the Crystarium...

And hell, he includes the weapon system, just for fun.

Jump to Post

05.17.2013 1:47pm
 (Edited on 05.17.2013 at 2:17pm)

Iaian
Retainer

Wipwned said:
So, I have to ask, how in the world FFXIII qualifies as the best combat system given the ridiculous number of flaws present in design?

Eh, matter of elimination really as there's not a lot of competition, being that there's really only five fundamentally different systems in the main line series.

5) FF 12 (Do not get me started on this pile of shit. A case study on what not to do when creating a system.)
4) FF 1-3 (A little quirky and buggy, but it works. Nothing really special about it.)
3) FF 4-9 (A big step forward from the previous games, with one drawback -- it slowed battles down. 4 I think has the best version of it; weird as it was the first to use it.)
2) FF 13 (I find it more engaging, and faster-paced than the old ATB, but nowhere near as good as FF 10. I do like the fact I'm not a detached party manager, but participating as a leader.)
1) FF 10 (Eliminated all lag the ATB had and focused on mucking around with the turn order. Also the most solidly coded system in an FF to date. Everything works as intended.)

Is really how I'd rank them in order of personal preference.

CaButler said:

Pausing to ask... is he really going to rant for half an hour? Is each part half an hour?

Jump to Post

05.17.2013 2:02pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

CaButler said:

I almost linked to that yesterday.  For doing a fairly blah job on parts 1 and 2 (repetitive bitching without really any funny parts) parts 3 and 4 were amazing. 

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

05.18.2013 4:44pm

Cameron
Registered Member

CaButler said:

Just watched the whole review.  It is pretty unbelievable just how bad the story of FFXIII is.  It is just incomprehensible that a project could have so many presumably intelligent adult people working on it for so long, and not notice just how horrendous the story is. Spoony is totally right that exposition is the main piece the game is missing.  This might have been largely corrected by giving us an amnesiac character for the party to explain things to ona  regular basis.  It would have forced the footnotes into the dialogue and also driven the cutscenes more naturally.  Of course, that's probably the most exhausted and overused story-telling cliche, but it would have been a hell of a lot better than never knowing what the hell is going on. Even properly explained, the story is still bad though. And there is no context for so much of the pieces of that world.

I played the game quite a while after it's release. I can't really believe it got such positive reviews.  Even more shocking that the producers defended it from criticism from the angle that they were trying to tell a compelling story.  How clueless can you be?

And yea, the crystarium is complete garbage - as is the weapon upgrade system and 'treasure' finding. Although, I do agree that I found the battles strangely compelling, even though I fundamentally disagreed with the system.

Jump to Post

05.18.2013 5:17pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

The Crystarium system is garbage and I agree with the video. There really isn't sense of control in how you want to build your character and the whole thing is just so hard to navigate. Why did they make it 3D, what was wrong with a flat surface?

Jump to Post

05.19.2013 9:06am
Thread Creator

Shadow
Comes and goes like the wind...

I'm actually one that found the FFXI, and FFXII battle systems to be my favorite in the series. FFVIII was probably my least favorite due to its heavy reliance on GF's and watching the same long animation sequences over and over again.

Jump to Post

05.19.2013 11:30am

Zubis
Registered Member

No you're not the only one, I loved FFXII. I'm actually hoping there will be a HD release of it like FFX's, but it's probably too late in this generation now for it.

Jump to Post

05.19.2013 3:42pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Zubis said:

No you're not the only one,

Raises Up hand to say "Me Too". Wished the battle system was kept that way for future Fina Fantasy titles. For the record Bioware took insipration from FFXII's gambit system so it shows how potentially deep FFXII's battle system is. So now why would they regress with FFXIII's system is beyond me.

Jump to Post

05.19.2013 6:45pm

dn
Registered Member

http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/f/fa/Square_Staff_Circa_1994.gif

Take a look at this. This is why pre-FF7 Square put out consistently well-recieved material, despite frequently being bug-ridden and frankly poorly written. They were a close-knit group of friends, almost family, who put the enjoyment of the gamer ahead of the company dollar. They understood that the company dollar would naturally follow on its own if they put out games that people loved.

Then Enix came along and swallowed them, and now they have no fucking idea where they're going or what they're doing. Good games are flukes now, or done by separate companies elsewhere in the world. They've been missing the point for over a decade, too busy trying to include things for everybody on the face of the earth, and not completing any of it or injecting an actual sense of soul in it. FFX was probably the last game that felt cohesive. I liked XII, but it has glaring problems which stick out like black plague bubble blisters, and then there's XIII.

They've fucked up every Mana game since Legend.

Let's not even get into Kingdom Hearts.

Square doesn't even know how to properly estimate sales; if 3 million is still too low, you have a budgetting problem.

At the end of the day, they're going to need a complete overhaul to fix their problems, and a major scaling down, and possibly less high management oversight. That's what hurt FFXII so bad.

Jump to Post

05.20.2013 12:26am
 (Edited on 05.20.2013 at 12:34am)

Plectrude
Preivously known as F1r18

dn said:

Take a look at this. This is why pre-FF7 Square put out consistently well-recieved material, despite frequently being bug-ridden and frankly poorly written. They were a close-knit group of friends, almost family, who put the enjoyment of the gamer ahead of the company dollar. They understood that the company dollar would naturally follow on its own if they put out games that people loved.

This, and the fact an employee could give the middle finger in a corporate photo setting. Would this fly in 2013?

Jump to Post

05.20.2013 1:08am

Zubis
Registered Member

That picture is 20 years old now. I'd say most employees have moved on now or have retired.

Jump to Post

05.20.2013 1:22am

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

dn said:

Then Enix came along and swallowed them, and now they have no fucking idea where they're going or what they're doing. Good games are flukes now, or done by separate companies elsewhere in the world. They've been missing the point for over a decade, too busy trying to include things for everybody on the face of the earth, and not completing any of it or injecting an actual sense of soul in it. FFX was probably the last game that felt cohesive. I liked XII, but it has glaring problems which stick out like black plague bubble blisters, and then there's XIII.

They've fucked up every Mana game since Legend.

Let's not even get into Kingdom Hearts.

Square doesn't even know how to properly estimate sales; if 3 million is still too low, you have a budgetting problem.

At the end of the day, they're going to need a complete overhaul to fix their problems, and a major scaling down, and possibly less high management oversight. That's what hurt FFXII so bad.

Even FFX, as much as I like it, started showing them moving in a different direction. (Battle system, no world map, linearity)

Jump to Post

05.20.2013 1:36am

Crisium
N/A

If FFXI through XIII were defined by quasi-real-time battles, then FFX's battle system was the inverse of moving in that direction.  But strangely, despite so many fans ranking X as one of the best battle systems, they continue to toy with auto pilot battle systems that play themselves.

Jump to Post

05.20.2013 10:19pm

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

I thought FFXII's core gameplay was great. The problem was that the game was too big for its story and Basch should've stayed the main character.

Also, I'm very confused by people wanting the series to "evolve." They've proven they can't do that. Let's see them prove they can make a good BY THE FORMULA FF. Make something with more in common with FFVI than FFXIII. Let's go back to large worlds, explorable locations, open-ended exploration, airships that really do open things up and sidequests that expand the story. Streamlining is bad. Weird genre experiments are bad. Just make a damn RPG and not a rail shooter with turn-based combat or an action game. For fuck's sake!

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter