Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

Aurora shooting discussion goes here

07.22.2012 3:35pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Canada's gun control laws have been tweaked over the years but for the most part they're a solid set of regulations. Even so, the people who want to get their hands on illegal firearms will find a way. The long gun registry was abolished this year because it did little, if anything, to cut down on the kinds of gun violence authorities want to stop...like this tragedy.

Jump to Post

07.22.2012 5:05pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Thought this was worth sharing.

Jump to Post

07.22.2012 5:14pm

Zubis
Registered Member

Blocked, but this one works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIVLi9oIC3k

Today is the one year anniversary of the Norway shootings and the media is trying to link them.

Jump to Post

07.22.2012 5:23pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Yeah, that video I linked to is blocked outside of North America. Forgot to mention that. Whoops.

Jump to Post

07.22.2012 6:53pm

Old Juan
filled with hate

Onyx said:

I'm hardly one to use NRA talking points, but you take away guns and the only people with guns are the criminals. It's scarily easy to smuggle in illegal weapons into this country.

Gun control helps prevent accidental gun deaths (like the kids who get into their parents' gun cabinet and accidentally shoot themselves in the head) and that's a good thing. But the gun violence in this country is a symptom of a much larger problem, not the cause.

Agreed.

Stricter gun control laws aren't going to do anything to prevent things like this happening in the future. The only thing they are going to accomplish is to make it much more difficult if not almost impossible for responsible citizens to get one and then one when they may actually need it they won't have it.

Jump to Post

07.23.2012 5:54am

Mole
Somebody loves ya.

Onyx said:

The gun control argument this shooting has sparked makes me want to take both sides of it behind the woodshed and smack the shit out of them with a tire iron.

I have nothing really to add but Jesus God, this. I spent all of Friday afternoon wanting to round up everyone in my Twitter feed and shit in their fucking blowhard mouths.

Jump to Post

07.23.2012 4:54pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

The shooter definitely has some screws loose. He's still refusing to cooperate, and now, in his first court appearance, his hair looks like he scalped the Heat Miser.

Jump to Post

07.24.2012 1:10am

Zo
another blue ribbon

Do there have to be reasons? Can he not just be a lunatic with a gun and a couple of screws loose?

Jump to Post

07.24.2012 1:19am

Zubis
Registered Member

Some people don't need a reason to be crazy, they just are.

But in this day and age, people need reasons for everything.

Jump to Post

07.24.2012 2:54am

GalaxyHead
Undisguised Man-Made Nova

More than likely he is severely mentally ill. I can't think of any other reason why someone would kill strangers. There needs to be less talk about gun control and more talk about mental health services in this country. Or rather, why mass murder has become an (although still extremely rare despite how bombastic it is in mass media) outcome of untreated mental illness in this country.

Of course, it begins by not stigmatizing mental illness, but we have a long way to go before this happens.

Jump to Post

07.24.2012 5:53am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Zo said:

Do there have to be reasons? Can he not just be a lunatic with a gun and a couple of screws loose?

I have to agree completely. This kind of thing happens infrequent enough where there's clearly NOTHING concrete that causes this. There's no reason and not even 10 reasons you can pinpoint this to. If you can go back in time, you can probably do 50,000 different actions to prevent this from happening. It's just a horrible combination of events that probably led up to it...ie, there's no damn reason this guy got so crazy/snapped/ decided to go through with this and nobody caught wind of it.

Jump to Post

07.24.2012 6:06am

Monetary Dragon
Just keep swimming

I am just happy that, depsite there being intelligence and pre-meditation, there was clearly no firearms skill or training, or else this massacre would have been far worse than it was.

That is the saving grace for 95% of this sort of 'into the crowd' shootings: that the shooter is hapless and helpless, and so the bodycount ends up being low to nonexistent. In this case, it was a graduate student, who had done his on-paper research into how to do something like this, so his bodycount was much higher than average. Thankfully he had no firearms familiarity or training, or the results would have been far worse.

Jump to Post

07.24.2012 7:33pm

Rain
hip hop what what
Administrator

I'm just hoping someone somewhere in Colorado manages to catch a break this year. Between the devastating fires and this shit, it's been a hard summer, emotionally and otherwise, for a lot of us. This state could use some good news.

Jump to Post

07.24.2012 11:26pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Christian Bale visited victims of the shooting in the hospital today.

Christian Bale is officially awesome.

Jump to Post

07.25.2012 12:33am

Zubis
Registered Member

Especially considering he didn't notify Warner Brothers or the media that he was doing it.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter