Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

Aurora shooting discussion goes here

07.25.2012 12:55am

Old Juan
filled with hate

Onyx said:

Christian Bale visited victims of the shooting in the hospital today.

Christian Bale is officially awesome.

That is definately cool.

Jump to Post

07.25.2012 1:04am

OrionHardy
Otherworld

It's a shame some people have already started bringing up his rant from a few years back.

Great men aren't everywhere, just where it counts.

If you ever see me online playing Halo, join me please.

Jump to Post

07.25.2012 2:07am

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Ive always liked him, but +1000 more respect points. <3

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

07.25.2012 2:12am

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Zubis said:

Especially considering he didn't notify Warner Brothers or the media that he was doing it.

Which makes his visit even better. Well done Christian Bale.

Jump to Post

07.25.2012 2:25am

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

I always thought he was one of those crazy celebrities. But he definitely gets my respect for doing this.

Jump to Post

07.25.2012 8:46am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

"Overall, Branas's study found that people who carried guns were 4.5 times as likely to be shot and 4.2 times as likely to get killed compared with unarmed citizens. When the team looked at shootings in which victims had a chance to defend themselves, their odds of getting shot were even higher."

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17922-carrying-a-gun-increases-risk-of-getting-shot-and-killed.html

Support or not, the facts are the facts. You have to respond to the culture and the facts with appropriate regulation. America isn't going to suddenly stop being violent tomorrow, and the number of stories I've read about someone being saved by a gun amounts to exactly 0 in memory.

Jump to Post

07.25.2012 3:50pm

Pudro
Registered Member

Arckanghel said:

America isn't going to suddenly stop being violent tomorrow, and the number of stories I've read about someone being saved by a gun amounts to exactly 0 in memory.

Maybe you should read more then? Because I remember one from just a few months ago in AURORA, COLORADO. (And I don't even read much.)

Jump to Post

07.25.2012 5:44pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Id82 said:

I always thought he was one of those crazy celebrities. But he definitely gets my respect for doing this.

Indeed. Crazy, primadonna rant be damned.

Jump to Post

07.25.2012 8:27pm

Dh
Not in the face!
The Alpha and the Omega

So, for the past few days the media has been yammering about how this psychopath was apparently an incredibly smart student with a bright future ahead of him and now his teachers and professors are saying he was just average and nothing really special.

I swear, the media couldn't accurately report on a fucking lemonade stand if they tried.

I made this for you!

Jump to Post

07.26.2012 3:12pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Thoughts?

I heard about this on the radio yesterday and at first, I thought to myself "Oh my god, that is so true." But then I thought about it some more, and decided that it's crap. Anyone who would commit the kind of crime that he did has to be mentally unstable no matter what their race is. Also, terrorists come in all colours as do 'thugs'. Anders Breivik: Mass murderer, Terrorist, White. The DC Snipers: Mass Murderers, Terrorists, Black. And to use a local example the Bacon Brothers, Gangsters, Thugs, White.

Now granted, racial profiling seems to be way too prevalent nowadays, but still...people need to think before they speak.

Jump to Post

07.26.2012 3:23pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I chalk that image up to some obnoxious liberals trying to turn something into a racial issue that actually isn't.

Also, Timothy McVeigh: Terrorist, White. Other white people who committed mass murders without the "mental illness" excuse: Charles Manson, John Wayne Gacy, Son of Sam, the Unabomber, most fucking white serial killers. Besides, it's not like being called criminally insane is exactly a glowing compliment.

Jump to Post

07.26.2012 10:00pm

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

I would say this guy is a terrorist with mental illness. He's a terrorist in that he's obviously horrified the American population. He's a terrorist in that he's caused movie theaters to change their policies and probably scared some people from going into movie theaters.

When I went to see the Dark Knight Rises. I watched as a couple walked into the theater. The girl looked around the theater and said "Oh good there's no emergency exits."

Jump to Post

07.26.2012 11:33pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I don't know if I'd call him a terrorist because I don't think he had any stated agenda or goal besides "kill as many people as possible." Terrorists want to send some sort of message or accomplish a political/religious objective of sorts.

Though I can see the mass murder = terrorist thing, that's never been me. Like I think the guy who killed that abortion doctor in Kansas was a definite terrorist even though he killed only one person. Same with every presidential assassin.

Jump to Post

07.27.2012 2:24am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Onyx said:
Terrorists want to send some sort of message or accomplish a political/religious objective of sorts.

Exactly.
I got into a huge fight with a friend over this picture, she refused to understand what a terrorist is by definition and why this guy wasn't called a terrorist, just a raving maniac; if you are going to be pointing accusatory fingers around, you'd best know what is that you are talking about.

Jump to Post

07.27.2012 9:08am
Thread Creator (Edited on 07.27.2012 at 10:19am)

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

I think that photo is attacking what people's perceptions of mass murderers are, and how the media covers and portrays them. It's only with the white perpetrators that the media seems to come up with any sort of excuse for their actions besides the fact that they're just bad people.

Case in point, in Knoxville the big story was the rape and murder of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom. A horrible crime, to be sure, and one done by black people. The media didn't bother to go into the criminals' life stories (not that I would've wanted to hear them). But the Aurora shooter did something on a similar or even worse scale and the media made sure to emphasize that he was a Ph.D. student, blah blah (and I didn't want to hear it then, either).

And also, about Oklahoma City. Before the real culprits (McVeigh, Nichols) were revealed, I recall EVERYBODY, including the media, reflexively blaming Islamic terrorists. Then clamming right up once McVeigh got arrested.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter