Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

How to get women into science.

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

06.23.2012 9:15pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g032MPrSjFA

doingitwrong.jpg

http://news.sciencemag.org/scienceinsider/2012/06/harsh-reviews-for-european-commi.html

As a European I'm actually embarrassed by this video.

Jump to Post

06.23.2012 9:33pm

ManjiSanji
Insanity Mongoose

I do find this fairly disgusting.

Jump to Post

06.23.2012 11:00pm

Zophycakes
I'M FROM THE INTERNETTTT
Administrator

This is like a parody of a tragedy.

Jump to Post

06.23.2012 11:33pm

Fifan
The guy with the girly avatar

I find it troubling that there had to be quite an amount of people involved in this and not one of them stood up to state that this might not be the right way to go about it.

Jump to Post

06.23.2012 11:45pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

They might as well have saved themselves some money and just buy a billboard that says "SCIENCE! IT'LL GET YOU LAID!"

Jump to Post

06.23.2012 11:53pm

OrionHardy
Otherworld

To be honest, in a society where the TV show 'The Only Way is Essex' helps to boost the economy by £1.4bn, can you blame them?

Great men aren't everywhere, just where it counts.

If you ever see me online playing Halo, join me please.

Jump to Post

06.23.2012 11:53pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

FOR SCIENCE!

But seriously, that is a travesty.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

06.23.2012 11:56pm

Murasame
HALE YEAH

Oh my god. Why is it that every campaign for getting women or girls into anything is just balls out stupid? Seriously. Did you see what they did for lego? Did you? Because it was as stupid as everything else GOR GRRRRLS ONLY LOL

They might as well just have a campaign that says YOU WON'T GET TAKEN SERIOUSLY AT ALL BECAUSE WE ARE SEXIST FUCKS BUT ALSO PLEASE HAVE OUR BABIES WE ARE SO DESPERATE

Jump to Post

06.24.2012 12:54am

Mole
Somebody loves ya.

This looks like a footage from a science-themed challenge from America's Next Top Model, like every girl has to dress up as "Chemistry" or "Astronomy" or something and the girl who gets Botany has to dress up like a plant and Jay Manuel is like "YOUR BODY NEEDS TO BE MORE PLANT-LIKE" and everyone in the room acts like they know that the fuck that means, and meanwhile the girl who gets Physics has a shot where she's flying through the air and everyone praises it for being so joyous and sprited like no shit, she got the fun one of course it looks good. Also the fat girl gets Zoology and they dress her up like a hippo just to fuck with her.

Jump to Post

06.24.2012 1:25am

Zo
another blue ribbon

"Hey girls! Come be scientists so you can work in environments where all the things this video thinks you love are impractical and irrelevant!"

Jump to Post

06.24.2012 2:52am

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I agree that ithis add is stupid, and that it doesn't send a great message, but we're blowing this out of proportion.  If even 1 more young woman considers pursuing education or a career in math or science because of this, than the add will probably have been worth offending our feminist sensibilities.

Jump to Post

06.24.2012 1:13pm

Zo
another blue ribbon

Atma Weapon said:

I agree that ithis add is stupid, and that it doesn't send a great message, but we're blowing this out of proportion.  If even 1 more young woman considers pursuing education or a career in math or science because of this, than the add will probably have been worth offending our feminist sensibilities.
...why? Does the gender of the scientist matter to the experiment or the results? I agree that science should be more diverse, but it's not like it's necessary to the pursuit of results or anything, and it's perfectly legitimate to criticise an ad that attempts to get women into science by making it seem glamorous and sexy when it's nreally really not.

Jump to Post

06.24.2012 3:06pm

Kal
yes

It just makes it look like the only reason a woman would want to learn science is to find out how lipstick is made.

Jump to Post

06.24.2012 3:20pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I have the same reaction to this ad as I have to PETA's sillier antics: a shallow pitch thrown out to promote a message that is actually quite defensible on logic that takes a lot longer than 30 seconds to explain. It is intended to generate a buzz and get people talking about it. Like PETA campaigns, it distracts people from the core argument by trying to appear "cool", and falls flat on its face.

Stupid? Definitely. Pernicious? Probably not. Like PETA campaigns, its greatest crime is probably insulting people's intelligence.

I will also add that the spot is quite obviously a tongue-in-cheek joke, and that the target audience understands it as such. We don't need to make a great moral travesty out of a bad joke. We have more important things to think about.

Jump to Post

06.24.2012 4:04pm

GalaxyHead
Undisguised Man-Made Nova

Hmm.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter