Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

How to get women into science.

06.27.2012 2:37am

Monetary Dragon
Just keep swimming

I am somewhat embarrassed to be a scientist of any gender after watching that.

I know and work with plenty of female scientists, and thankfully none of them chose to get into science for that ??reason?.

We need peer review for our gender-themed promotional videos.

Jump to Post

06.27.2012 2:42am

JSG
Registered Member

I feel like I just watched an ironic parody video and not something serious.  But I know it's the latter.

Jump to Post

06.27.2012 2:49am

Monetary Dragon
Just keep swimming

Normally there's a degree of intelligence that you can detect in parody. These people are too stupid to be anything but serious.

Jump to Post

06.27.2012 3:07am

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I still think it was made by normal people who were trying too hard to be clever, but ended up looking ridiculous. Simple as that. Some people's time and a good deal of money wasted. True the resources could have been better used elsewhere, but lots of ad campaigns are ineffective.

Jump to Post

06.27.2012 3:26am

Monetary Dragon
Just keep swimming

It certainly wasn't made by female scientists.

Jump to Post

06.27.2012 3:33am

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

Yep I'm guessing it was made by an advertising fIrm.

Jump to Post

06.27.2012 4:14am

Amer
pew pew pew

How to get anyone into science: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwmCa4cKkFg&feature=player_detailpage#t=39s

Jump to Post

06.27.2012 4:37am

Monetary Dragon
Just keep swimming

Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fI8834iCgo

EDIT: Science!

Jump to Post

06.27.2012 7:39pm

Ulterior
Registered Member

But not this: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtmndVpJrW8

I love you, everything burrito.

Jump to Post

06.27.2012 8:18pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Amer said:

How to get anyone into science: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwmCa4cKkFg&feature=player_detailpage#t=39s

"Not available in your country."

It's a good way to get anyone in hacking to get around that crap ;)

Jump to Post

06.27.2012 9:59pm

Sam Biscuits
Custard Creams

Ok I'll probably get shit for this but my wife would probably put her copy of 50 Shades of Grey down to watch that (seriously, that's all she's been done for days). She could tell you who's in Big Brother this year, all the plot lines from any soap opera and the detailed goings on of most C list no-mark "celebrities" in this country and in America. She doesn't know what the Periorodic table is, I once convinced her Ghandi was a gangsta rapper, and once thought a map of the UK was the map of the world.

I could go on and on about my wife's faux pas as well as her friends (which are worse). But at the end of the day they're not interested in Science or Technology. She's always telling me to shut up when I've got excited about some piece of engineering design, science article or piece of technology. I do the same with here inane shite.

I am of course massively generalising but in the 11 years I've worked in Electronic Engineering I've worked with 1 women... for a month. And that's my working career since school, if I ever change jobs I'll get a culture shock!

I think the video is quite funny it's that bad. It's like an ironic science for girls video. Intact, are we sure the whole thing isn't a joke?

Jump to Post

06.29.2012 2:37am

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

Monetary Dragon said:

It certainly wasn't made by female scientists.

Certainly not.  The most badass female scientists I know aren't even in the video :-(

"Well, your brain seems to work a little bit." -- Rune Walsh, Phantasy Star IV.

Jump to Post

06.29.2012 5:35am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Pretty dumb and offensive video. As others have said it implies women would only get interested in science by relating it to their sexuality which is extremely offensive and backward thinking.

However I am curious, does anyone know how to actually get more women into science? Ovbiously this video wasn't going to do anything even if it wasn't offensive. but what needs to be done?  Some of the offices I've worked at and clases i've taken had a 30 to 1 ratio of men to women, which is flat out as ridiculous as this video.  It does have to do with intersest, for some reason, despite being really good at math and physics, many women choose not to go into these fields, and I just don't understand the lack of interest there.

Jump to Post

06.29.2012 6:35am

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

Spidey said:

However I am curious, does anyone know how to actually get more women into science?

I did a fellowship at the National Academy of Sciences back in 2008 that partially dealt with policies and programs encouraging women and minorities to enter the sciences.  It is a really interesting issue.  If you're really interested, I could point you to some free literature or share my two cents, when I'm not utterly exhausted and can think straight enough to put a coherent extended thought together.

Jump to Post

06.29.2012 8:38am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Sam Biscuits said:

Ok I'll probably get shit for this but my wife would probably put her copy of 50 Shades of Grey down to watch that (seriously, that's all she's been done for days). She could tell you who's in Big Brother this year, all the plot lines from any soap opera and the detailed goings on of most C list no-mark "celebrities" in this country and in America. She doesn't know what the Periorodic table is, I once convinced her Ghandi was a gangsta rapper, and once thought a map of the UK was the map of the world.

I could go on and on about my wife's faux pas as well as her friends (which are worse). But at the end of the day they're not interested in Science or Technology. She's always telling me to shut up when I've got excited about some piece of engineering design, science article or piece of technology. I do the same with here inane shite.

I am of course massively generalising but in the 11 years I've worked in Electronic Engineering I've worked with 1 women... for a month. And that's my working career since school, if I ever change jobs I'll get a culture shock!

I think the video is quite funny it's that bad. It's like an ironic science for girls video. Intact, are we sure the whole thing isn't a joke?

Well, but just because your wife and her friends aren't interested in science, doesn't mean there aren't other women interested in science, or sports, or videogames or corporate jobs or whatever supposed bastions of masculinity are out there.
I am the exact opposite of your wife, I don't know what Shades of Grey is, I know who Gandhi was, etc. etc, (by the way, she just doesn't remember what the periodic table is, I can't believe she doesn't know what it is, as I can't imagine it isn't taught in schools around the world) and I'm still not interested in sience too much, unless it has to do with my baking (can't do it without knowing a few basics), so what gives.

I'm not sure what this ad is trying to accomplish or even say, as science isn't just about research in a lab, one can pretty much say there is actual science in everything we do, so depending on our interests, we all know a bit of relevant science; if you know what makes a cake rise, why does sound come out of speakers and what gives you a tan, then you know a bit of science, right?.

Is this ad saying that we women don't know enough about science?, because there's plenty of men that know just as much, or as little, is this ad saying that there are more women needed in... some science related jobs?, why would that be?, men and women are the same when it comes to the job, as long as you know how to do it; I'm sure their intention wasn't to call us stupid just because, even though that seems to be the underlying current, I guess they think that unless you don't hold a job wearing a lab coat somewhere, you aren't smart enough?.
I would like to think that this ad was made with good intentions, but for the life of me, I can't figure what those could be, simply because I... don't understand why would they think one gender should be mentioned and not another; this ad is so antiquated in nature, it has caught me unprepared to understand it, I mean, I presume the people that came up with the idea are either of my age, or my parent's age, all of us raising or being raised with the "radical" idea that women can do more than raise children and tend the stove, so what dinosaur crawled out of a cave in order to have such an idea for an ad?.
Unfathomable.

However I am curious, does anyone know how to actually get more women into science? Ovbiously this video wasn't going to do anything even if it wasn't offensive. but what needs to be done?  Some of the offices I've worked at and clases i've taken had a 30 to 1 ratio of men to women, which is flat out as ridiculous as this video.  It does have to do with intersest, for some reason, despite being really good at math and physics, many women choose not to go into these fields, and I just don't understand the lack of interest there.

Could it be that the environment for studying/working with science is still a bit stiff when it comes to welcoming women?, I daily hear the grief women go through just to play a videogame that isn't "girly", I would pressume that there is resistance in those bastions of masculinity I refered to before. Maybe there isn't any resistance, but women in general are afraid that there is and aren't willing to see for themselves.
Maybe these jobs don't pay as well as they pay for a man and so women don't want to waste their potential, all in all, I think and with this I mean no offense, nor am I interested in an ethics debate, but as I was saying, all in all, I think there might still be a bit of resistance. Now, I know you are all young and even more accepting that the men of my age or older, you all believe in equality and all the jazz, but the work force isn't made of just people young as you.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter