Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

Stop Online Piracy Act.

< Prev 1 ... 11 12 13 14 Next >

01.23.2012 10:54pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

The people complaining about MegaUpload are the ones who actually use it for a legit purpose, so I disagree with you Atma Weapon. . Piracy whores like myself just torrent or IRC everything, mega upload is too slow comparitively and too difficult to find what you want.   Sure, there was a lot of piracy going on at Mega Upload, but I don't think many pirates will miss it all too much. The people making noise are people who used it in a legit way and lost their stuff and/or a good way of sharing their videos on websites, etc.

Jump to Post

01.24.2012 3:32pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

To be honest, and I know this is going to come across as incredibly naive, I didn't even know MegaUpload was being used like that. I always used it as a way to share large files with friends and acquaintances that couldn't be transferred by email, but certainly nothing that was copyrighted. It was a lot nicer to use than Rapidshare or any of the other file-sharing sites. I guess it's just another example of "And this is why we can't have nice things."

Jump to Post

01.24.2012 6:24pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

I'm in Spidey's boat with one sole exception.  One of my favorite PSP piracy sites relies heavily on sites like megaupload.  Slow yes but it means I don't have to patch my own games.  I certainly won't bitch about the loss because there are several others.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

01.25.2012 9:14pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Okay, so SOPA and PIPA may be "dead" but the next step is taking down ACTA which will be much more difficult and much more of a trial. So contact your local representative no matter what country you're in and express your opposition to it in the strongest terms. ACTA is much more dangerous than SOPA or PIPA were.

This has been a totally free interruption and no money has changed hands whatsoever.

Jump to Post

01.25.2012 9:53pm
Thread Creator

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

Are they actually dead? Where has that been confirmed?

Jump to Post

01.26.2012 4:58pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Id82 said:

Are they actually dead? Where has that been confirmed?

Well that's why it put it in quotes, everyone's celebrating a victory a wee bit too early, if you were to ask me.

Jump to Post

01.26.2012 9:31pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

The battle's won, but war is far from over.

Jump to Post

01.26.2012 10:07pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

And here's why:

Jump to Post

01.27.2012 1:45pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

Down with ACTA.

Jump to Post

02.10.2012 7:09pm

Zo
another blue ribbon

So after reading up a little bit on ACTA I was understandably pissed off that the EU was doing this and hadn't actually told anyone. I wrote to my MEP and actually received a reply:

Thank you for your recent correspondence dated 27 January 2012 regarding the Anti Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) between the European Union, Australia, Canada, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore, Switzerland and the US.

The European Parliament has a formal role in the eventual approval or rejection of this Agreement. The negotiations concluded in November 2010, and each negotiating party is now in the process of ratifying and signing the Agreement. In the EU this requires agreement from the Council of Ministers (made up of the 27 Member States) and the European Parliament. On Thursday 26th January 2012 twenty-two Member States (including the UK) signed the agreement. The European Parliament will now draft a report to recommend whether or not Parliament should give its approval to the Agreement, and this will be done by the International Trade committee. This is exprected to begin next month. Paliament's political leverage over the European Commission has therefore been substantial given that the Agreement cannot be ratified without Parliament's approval.

In addition to its legislative role, Parliament monitored the negotiations throughout the 11 rounds and adopted Resolutions higlighting our priorities to the Commission. In March 2010 my colleague David Martin MEP - in his capacity as Labour spokesperson on international Trade in the European Parliament - co-authored a Resolution which was adopted by Parliament. In November 2010 in response to the release of the draft test the Parliament again adopted a resolution.

We proposed and successfully incorporated several points on transparency and civil liberties into the Resolutions. Firstly we made it clear that the European Commission - as the EU's negotiator in ACTA - needed to put pressure on the other participants to open up the negotiations to public scrutiny through the publication of a draft negotiating text,

Secondly we stressed that ACTA must target only commercial and not individual counterfeiters. In our opinion the need to address serious counterfeiting should not lead to any erosion of civil liberties. In this regard I and other Labour MEPs object to any 'three strike' rule whereby Internet service providers can suspend the Internet connection of copyright infringers after two warnings. Equally my colleagues and I do not support the so called borde measures such as the searching by Customs of traveller's iPods or laptops for illegally downloaded files.

Finally we stated that ACTA should not extend beyond the European Community acquis or, in other words, no new intellectual property legislation should be created as a result. The European Union is a signatory to various international Agreements on intellectual property such as the World Trade Organisation's Agreement on Trade Related Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS). It is important for the European Parliamentary Labour Party that ACTA is consistent with TRIPS and other existing Agreements on Intellectual Property.

I and my colleagues share the frustration of many constituents who believed the negotiations should have been confucted in a more transparent manner. The European Parliament put significant pressure on the European Commission during the negotiations to increase transparency. The Commission was successful in persuading other ACTA negotiating partners to release a consolidated negotiating text. While Parliament continued to call for the further release of all negotiating texts with individual country positions, we were disappointed that further opening up of the negotiations could not be agreed to by all parties.

Please be assured that the Parliament's committment to transparency also applies to our consideration of the ACTA agreement in the International Trade committee. Once the Parliament analysis and discussions in Parliament begin, debates and considerations of the text will be fully open to the public and streamed live on the European Parliament website. 

Thank you again for writing to me on this issue. Please be assured that my colleagues and I will analyse the test of the Agreement very carefully before the European Parliament consent vote to ensure our priorities in civil liberties, intellectual property legislation and TRIPS compatibility is well-protected.

Best Wishes. 

Yours sincerely

Derek Vaughan (MEP for Wales)

Jump to Post

07.04.2012 12:59pm
 (Edited on 07.04.2012 at 1:07pm)

The Joker
Infernal Spawn of Evil

I apologize for the bump but I think this is relevant.

Today, ACTA was rejected by The European Parliament.

The European Parliament has rejected ACTA, a controversial trade agreement, which was widely criticized over its likely assault on internet freedoms.

Supporters of the treaty suggested postponing the crucial voting at the Parliament plenary on Wednesday, but members of the parliament decided not to delay the decision any further.

MEPs voted overwhelmingly against ACTA, with 478 votes against and only 39 in favor of it. There were 146 abstentions.
Internet integrity and privacy safe, at least for now. =)

Jump to Post

07.04.2012 3:18pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

ACTA is Dead. Long live...no wait. F*ck ACTA.

Jump to Post

07.04.2012 3:47pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Well, it looks like the RIAA/MPAA mafia has convinced several American ISP's to do their dirty work for them. Who needs legislation when the plutocracy already in place can do your dirty work for you?

Jump to Post

07.04.2012 3:54pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Say what? Care to elaborate?

Jump to Post

07.05.2012 12:22am

Pudro
Registered Member

Catastrophe said:

ACTA is Dead. Long live...no wait. F*ck ACTA.

Next is TPP.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 11 12 13 14 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter