Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

Vegetarianism

10.01.2012 3:35am
Thread Creator

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

Different castes have different dietary norms. Brahmins, the priestly caste, traditionally abstain from all animal flesh. Other groups have varying standards as you said. But yeah, beef is universally derided because they are sacrosanct. So obviously the dairy cows there are treated completely differently than the ones over here.

I had to break the news about the treatment of factory farmed dairy cows to an Indian several months ago. She was horrified by it and now she only buys her milk and butter from the local/organic market.

Jump to Post

10.01.2012 2:54pm

Arckanghel
Pirate.

The suffering argument has never gotten me simply because it requires an absolute measurement of a relative quantity. If an argument was going to actually get me there, it would be one of economics and the plcae we have landed in as a species at the behest of our ancestors and their lack of forethought for the future.

The biggest turn on though for changing my eating habits is my friends, who rather than lording over mythical health benefits that aren't superior and some high brow argument, go about their existence doing and practicing without a word of protest.

Jump to Post

10.01.2012 5:45pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

And has been said earlier, you're being more environmentally responsible by being a omnivore who either hunts their own meat or otherwise engages in localvore tendencies than being a vegetarian who gets all their food from Monsanto and others like 'em.

Of course, if you're a localvore vegetarian, than yay.

Jump to Post

10.02.2012 2:09am

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

Onyx said:

And has been said earlier, you're being more environmentally responsible by being a omnivore who either hunts their own meat or otherwise engages in localvore tendencies than being a vegetarian who gets all their food from Monsanto and others like 'em.

Of course, if you're a localvore vegetarian, than yay.

Trust me on this -- my food bills doubled at minimum when I became a localvore vegetarian.  I do some morningstar products just because I need an additional meat source, but pretty much everything else is local.  It is SO hard to afford it that I might end up becoming a vegetarian-when-I-can simply to continue to eat local food (which I feel is more important to me than to eat no meat).

"Well, your brain seems to work a little bit." -- Rune Walsh, Phantasy Star IV.

Jump to Post

10.02.2012 2:41am
Thread Creator

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

How wrong is it that to eat ethically you almost have to be well off financially? Values should be universally applicable. It doesn't do any good for it to be a conversation point for yuppies between trips to whole foods in their Subaru Outbacks.

There's way too much corporate and lobbying interest invested in this shit for it to change anytime soon.

Jump to Post

10.02.2012 4:36am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

It's so weird the way things are set up in the U.S.; in Argentina, being a "locavore" vegetarian is the cheapest option of them all, given that we still have local green grocers that simply get their produce from local people all due to practicality and economical issues, we are also set up to shop twice a day before meals, an easy thing to do, because all shops are abundant and located nearby, that also garantees that we don't have to buy a bag with two celery plants every time we want a stalk or two or a whole bunch of parsley, etc.; therefore, vegetables are very cheap, green grocers also usually carry eggs from the same farmers they buy the vegetables, so you go to your grocer, buy one egg, a small bunch of spinach, a small onion and if you feel like, you walk an extra block, get to the regular grocer and ask him to cut you a small piece of cheese and a bread roll and you spent just the neccesary money for that meal and took you 15 minutes, walks included.
Another thing is that our shops are rarely pretty or even confortable or modern, there's no air conditioner or nice decorations or printed signs or anything even close to any market here, they aren't pretty, but we aren't paying extra for all the prettiness, either, as long as the place is clean and the food good, it'll get a clientele.
But I do see how it is hard here in the states, I personally must trash a few things regularly due to the large size of things I must buy every time I cook for two, and the extra expense if it is local, if it is organic, if it is pre-packaged (most likely), and the expense of the gas added to everything else...

Jump to Post

10.02.2012 10:41am

Vyers
Dark Adonis

Being localvore in Ireland is easy because we're fucking tiny.

Jump to Post

10.02.2012 5:49pm

Kal
yes

When you look at the produce section at the supermarket, the green beans are from Kenya (seriously we can't grow beans in France?), the asparagus are from argentina, tomatoes are from spain, mushrooms from poland ... and so on. It's depressing.

Jump to Post

10.02.2012 10:03pm

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

And that's why I don't like the dominance of supermarkets in the business, small local stores always made business locally because it's easier and the infrastructure has always been there, supermarkets, in the other hand, deal with volume too large to be supplied locally; it breaks my heart that France imports it's produce, but I gotta believe that it's just the supermarket chains that do so.

Jump to Post

10.08.2012 8:17pm

Sei'taer
lost

As some one who has grown their own meat before killing the animals is gruesome no matter how you do it.  However, that isn't going to stop me from eating meat. 

Jump to Post

10.08.2012 10:33pm
Thread Creator

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

How do you grow meat, dude?

Jump to Post

10.11.2012 1:52pm

Sanna
What a Tedious fight!

He probably meant raised , and I know that his family raised hogs and chickens and grew their own produce for many years.

And it's great if you can actually live on a strict, no meat diet. People like my boyfriend, however,  have to eat it as it's doctor's orders. And my with my stomach, I'll pretty much will eat anything it'll let me (I have GERD).

Jump to Post

10.11.2012 6:46pm

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

It's good that your boyfriend can eat meat, my mom couldn't at all before she started dyalisis. ):

Jump to Post

10.12.2012 5:19am

Sei'taer
lost

Atma Weapon said:

How do you grow meat, dude?

Yeah grow/raise, whatever.  Just saying there's humane ways to kill the animal, but no non-gruesome way to butcher it.

It's good that your boyfriend can eat meat, my mom couldn't at all before she started dyalisis. ):

That must of been really difficult for her to get the required protein.  I've never even heard of that, as dialysys patients usually need more protein as they are usually anemic and have trouble producing blood on their own.

I'm supposed to eat more meat that a regular person, not less.  And while my disease is unique, the lack of salt restriction is the only real difference between my dietary requirements and a regular diet.

Jump to Post

10.12.2012 5:33am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

I don't know much about her requirements back then, because she started dialisis when I was 10; I remember perfectly watching her eat her first steak almost since I was born.
I do remember that she ate nuts, but, yeah, it must have been incredibly restricting, because she was very, very thin and weak, and , as my sister told me, they were still factoring liquids into the diet, so she couldn't eat much fruit or vegetables with high water content.
My sister who started dialisis early this year (as with my mom because of Polycystic Kidney Disease) says she eats mostly anything she wants and yes, they do make sure she has enough protein daily to keep her body working properly... we have come a long way since my mom's days, it seems.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter